Whistle Voice Register Problems

Rate this topic

Annika

I recently discovered my whistle register. I think I am doing it right, but I need to make sure I am. I don't want to do any damage to my vocal chords, as I am a good singer, and have always been told so. I consider myself good too. I can hit an f6 pretty effortlessly, but sometimes it's difficult to go higher. Sometimes I just can exhale and it comes out great, but other times it seems like I need to almost squeeze a bit to get higher? They also sometimes sound really shaky, like in the second video below. My whistles also sound squeaky. I am a young female singer, btw. My problem is I am not sure if I'm doing it right, and when I descend slowly down to a high c, my voice cracks and I end up singing an e5. really weird, I know. I am trying to connect my head voice with my whistle voice because they are disconnected and I am worried I am doing it wrong. Sometimes, it's also hard to do whistle tones, but usually I can get them easily. However, when I try to sing along to a song with a whistle section in it (the way, ariana grande) I can't do it well. I can do random pitches, but in order to do a melody, I can't because it connects head voice and whistle tone, for example: in the song, it starts with a b5 then a c6 and goes up to f6, but I'm not connected in my head voice and whistle. How can I connect them? also, my whistle tones are squeaky. Any help? :/

Here is my video on a simple f6 down to d6 whistle tone: https://youtube.com/watch?v=X8Q5kLpP1Uk

Now here is what keeps happening, the cracking at c6: https://youtube.com/watch?v=p4f9DvBG0yQ

The only person I know of here that had some good experience with whistle is fellow member, Jens, though he doesn't use it much anymore, per his own words. But, in my simple mind, I am thinking it is a matter of breath control and how to adjust and hold it back as you descend, which is a problem for most people descending in range. They have this certain breath coordination going on to go really high and forget to let off the gas, so to speak, when they descend.

I could be totally wrong and I usually am but that is what I was thinking listening to your sample.

But bravo for doing things in the right order. Getting a nifty avatar and uploading a sample, instead of book worth of description.

And no, I didn't hire some scary guy to pose for my avatar. That is me. To quote Mike Meyers as Shrek, "This is is the part where you run away ...."

The only person I know of here that had some good experience with whistle is fellow member, Jens, though he doesn't use it much anymore, per his own words. But, in my simple mind, I am thinking it is a matter of breath control and how to adjust and hold it back as you descend, which is a problem for most people descending in range. They have this certain breath coordination going on to go really high and forget to let off the gas, so to speak, when they descend.

I could be totally wrong and I usually am but that is what I was thinking listening to your sample.

But bravo for doing things in the right order. Getting a nifty avatar and uploading a sample, instead of book worth of description.

And no, I didn't hire some scary guy to pose for my avatar. That is me. To quote Mike Meyers as Shrek, "This is is the part where you run away ...."

haha, thank you!

I liked the bit of Mozart in there. Awesome.

And I watched your next vid on books. That was cool, except it sounded like you mispronounced your login name. When I see it, I pronounce it (y - eh - ns.) It sounded like you said Jens.

Just messing with ya ...

Great video Jens,

It's interesting if males and females use the same coordination for that sound. To my knowledge males don't quite have the same volume as females in that coordination.

Although James kind of have some "scream whistle" (by the way, this is some funky sh..t)

I would say it depends on the person, sofar I've met 3-4 guys that could project in whistle loudly. Mine is not that loud, probably the reason I also can get very very high in it. If my folds get abit swollen I can project it but in general it's low in volume.

also the clips you posted, I would say what Diana is doing in the queen of the night is not whistleregister but high head wich on the other hand start start to pick up some of those qualities. Females usually can pull those sounds up to around G6 without getting into the whistlesound.

"I dont want to be some sort of whistle master"

Ha ha that made me laugh. Cool vid, never gave much thought to the whistle register. Will give this exercises a try just for fun the next couple weeks and see what happens. It would be a cool thing to have just to have.

Well, I have been doing the exercises, and it worked well at first. However, now when I attempt it sometimes comes out but it's very cracky/shaky and just sounds horrible. I'm worried that I have vocal damage or something now because of the way it sounds..maybe I'm not doing it right?

Well, I have been doing the exercises, and it worked well at first. However, now when I attempt it sometimes comes out but it's very cracky/shaky and just sounds horrible. I'm worried that I have vocal damage or something now because of the way it sounds..maybe I'm not doing it right?

As I said the whistleregister is somewhat unruly, it's the least dominant register in the voice and that's the reason very few even get to experience it in their lifetime.

Also in whistle the folds vibrate extremly fast so it can wear you out, cut back on your whistletraining to 5 mins aday, keep a playful attitude towards it and it will come easier.

If your not in a position such as a teacher/work in a store or a proffesional singer chances of you having damage is extremly small. Some days whistle won't come out at all, it's like that even for the absolute best... So if it's just abit croaky... Well it's nothing to worry about :)

Play around with it and after some years it will just get easier

As I said the whistleregister is somewhat unruly, it's the least dominant register in the voice and that's the reason very few even get to experience it in their lifetime.

Also in whistle the folds vibrate extremly fast so it can wear you out, cut back on your whistletraining to 5 mins aday, keep a playful attitude towards it and it will come easier.

If your not in a position such as a teacher/work in a store or a proffesional singer chances of you having damage is extremly small. Some days whistle won't come out at all, it's like that even for the absolute best... So if it's just abit croaky... Well it's nothing to worry about :)

Play around with it and after some years it will just get easier

Thank you so much! That helps alot. :)