Rate this topic

Elvis

I hate myself for even asking this and i KNOW i should just give it up, singing or not singing, but i wanna know if anyone knows how hard does cigarette smoking affects your vocal abilities.

I know it cant be good, and im reall trying to quit, and singing is probably my biggest motivation for quiting singing, tough its extremel hard. Im only 21 but ive been smoking  a pack of cigs a day for 7 years now.

Not to mention that this habit of mine is costing me 2-3 lessons monthly with Maestro Lunte. Guess you have to be a moron to spend money on poison. but i guess im that moron.

So did anyone read up on any studies of how ciggarette someking affects your ability to sing?

There may be studies out there but I have not seen them, though there is plenty of anecdotal statements and opinions against it.

But here is another consideration, even without studies. I am not saying there is a clinical link between cigarettes and lung cancer, only a strong concurrence between the two. That is, there is no clinical study that shows the point at which a compound from a cigarette triggers the body to start growing cancerous cells.

But assume that it will cause cancer. That will eventually cut your wind and ability. Or, the smoke could give you cancer of the vocal folds or some other part of the vocal mechanism. 

It's a risk that you take. I knew of a lady that smoked most of her life and smoked from young adult to about 115. She died at 123.

I knew of another young man dying of lung cancer at age 20. Never touched one. None of his friends or family smoked.

And all the variations in between.

It can, according to some, change how you sound. Eric Clapton used to smoke and people loved his raspy sound. Then he quit and his sound cleaned up naturally and people missed that sound and he said, "Too bad, I needed to quit." And he was not interested in trying to get rasp back, either.

If you smoke with proper warmup you can reach 70%, 80% of your performance in a good day. Imagine if you not smoke, all your days gonna be this whitout warm.

Pd: Sorry for my english =P I try at least.

I quit smoking just before Christmas, and although I'll admit I've lapsed a couple of times and had the odd one or 2 smokes since then, I have seen a HUGE improvement in my range.  

Songs that for the last few years I've struggled to hit the top notes - I can now manage them every time - coincidence?

I haven't noticed a lung capacity increase, but definitely a massive improvement in range  :)

I quit smoking just before Christmas, and although I'll admit I've lapsed a couple of times and had the odd one or 2 smokes since then, I have seen a HUGE improvement in my range.  

Songs that for the last few years I've struggled to hit the top notes - I can now manage them every time - coincidence?

I haven't noticed a lung capacity increase, but definitely a massive improvement in range  :)

Bro thats awesome. Im deffinatelly gonna try to quit. Its extremely hard but i guss singing is motivation enough for me to really put an end to it.

Ironically im smoking while writing this -.- But deffinatelly a big incentive to stop.

Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

I Stopped smoking yesterday :/ so hard.. would eat this laptop right now :S

Good luck. And don't feel bad if you relapse. You can always quit again. And it will be easier now than later.

Granted, you may be in the balkans but there is nothing wrong with donning hides and shin guards and pillaging smaller villages as a soi-disant viking in order to blow off the steam of the stress of quitting. Because, other than looking cool, smoking is a stress-management thing for others and quitting is stressful, so you have to manage that stress, somehow.

Good luck. And don't feel bad if you relapse. You can always quit again. And it will be easier now than later.

Granted, you may be in the balkans but there is nothing wrong with donning hides and shin guards and pillaging smaller villages as a soi-disant viking in order to blow off the steam of the stress of quitting. Because, other than looking cool, smoking is a stress-management thing for others and quitting is stressful, so you have to manage that stress, somehow.

Dont give me that idea Ron..its bad enough that i love scandinavian culture..i might turn beserk and call myself Olaf....right now...wielding an axe against a tree seems like a preety good idea xD

I am not a medical doctor nor profess to be ( clearly there are studies that suggest it is bad for our health) I am however a Singer/vocalist since I started walking, a student of voice 30+ years and still learning, a voice teacher on and off for 16 years.  I am also a smoker of 32 years, now in my younger days I'd polish off 2-3 packs per day and could chain smoke a full carton plus 6 pots of coffee in a 10 hour recording session. I have NEVER personally had a problem with my voice/vocal fold or producing my sound. It is actually very clean and I have to work to give it gruff or rasp. I did have chronic sublingual tonsil infections chronically when I was in my teens. I had both my tonsils and sublingual tonsils  removed. That is not uncommon for non smokers , thereby I cannot attribute that to the smoking, may or may not have been a factor.  I am down to about 3 -4 packs per week now because of health and age. I am 47, I had gained weight and had very high blood pressure. My voice was always fine.  I have lost 28 lbs over the past 3 months and go to the gym 2 times a day now. Once in the morning, Once late night.  My blood pressure is normal, my resting pulse is 68 which is really good for my age, my waist is back to a 29/30. Personally I would recommend if your over 30 cut down or quit, just for your general health.  As it relates to Vocalizing, it seems to be a very individualized thing. I have a friend who sings on Broadway who loses his voice if he inhales second hand smoke. I know Opera singers who chain smokes cigarettes and cigars in their 80's that can still sing a 4 hour score flawlessly. As a general rule if you think it is bothering you it IS because just thinking it is will mentally screw you.

As a voice teacher I have to tell you DO NOT SMOKE, As a vocalist and person I tell you , use wisdom and moderation.

I dub thee elvis "olaf" the osmaniac (I mispelled your name on purpose, for humor's sake.) Go forth and scare the gentle peoples. Although it would be neat to see you handle a broadsword. A traditonal one is about 5' long, including hilt.

I dub thee elvis "olaf" the osmaniac (I mispelled your name on purpose, for humor's sake.) Go forth and scare the gentle peoples. Although it would be neat to see you handle a broadsword. A traditonal one is about 5' long, including hilt.

Well im a huge high fantasy fan so broadswords are not so far from my area of expertise.. was a huge medieval weapon buff for quite some time...even learnedbhow to create a preety decent recurce and traditional longbows/shortbows

Olaf the Osmaniac out.

P.s. Osmanovic is islamic surname. The Ottoman empire is called Osmanlijsko carstvo Here in our part of the world and the surname Osmanovic is a direct derivation of it. So in a way i dont have to be of nordic decent to be somewhat savage

Now, that is cool.

My mother's father was from Germany. So, I get a bit of nordic heritage from that. And my father was a mix of english, irish, and scottish. So, I am a mongrel, speaking in breeding terms.  :D

I would go to fantasy fairs where sword makers would sell their wares. And I find that I was one of the few people with the height and strength to handle a broadsword like a claymoor with one hand.

• 1 month later...

Don't know why people do smoking

Because of peer pressure or what not. Also it gives you a slight high, esspecially when you didnt smoke for a longer period. And the feeling is good. Not to mention it quickly develops as physical and psychiological adiction

Don't know why people do smoking

​Why do people drink? Why do people judge other people? Not smart aleck questions, just saying that it is a mystery and if someone quits a behavior that is not good for them, it is to be celebrated, I think.

• 3 months later...

I hate myself, even Pour Request IT and I know that I should just give it to you, singing e do not sing, but I want to know if anyone knows hard worker does smoking affects your vocal abilities.

Can not be good to know That I, and im trying to Reall Stop, and singing is my Probably, greater motivation pour quiting singing difficult extremel hard Son. Im only 21, but ive non smoking Summer Package For cigarettes daily for 7 YEARS now.

Without Counting That this habit of mine Me costed 2-3 monthly lessons with Maestro Lunte. Suppose Whether you Should Be moron to not spend money on the poison. But I guess im moron EC.

Actually, ANYONE DO lire on studies of the Way Of which affects someking ciggarette Your Ability to sing?

le tabac a une mauvaise influence sur l'élasticité des cordes vocales et le souffle en substituant l'oxygène par le co2 dans les poumons

• Administrator

Isn't there a certain obvious answer to this? I know that there are people that do smoke and seemingly are singing well, but I also know, just like all other things related to singing, it would depend on the individual, how long they have been smoking, and even what kind of smoke they are inhaling? There is a difference between tobacco, cloves and THC Inhalers... 

But regardless of all that, how about this for an answer...

Don't smoke at all. Because not only are we talking about your voice, we are talking about your lung capacity and respiration system. We are also talking about a threat of drying out your vocal folds that is increased, headaches, irritability and cancer.

:QuestionFox:

je suis d'accord avec toi

mais c'est pas parce que johnny hallyday fume et fait des prouesses incroyables en chant qu'il faut fumer, prendre exemple sur lui

I agree with you

but it's not because Johnny Hallyday smoke and made incredible vocal prowess have to smoke, take a lesson from him

• Administrator

Bonjour Charlie!

Bienvenue au Forum mondial de TMV!

S'il vous plaît envisager d'utiliser le traducteur de Google afin que nos membres anglophones peuvent lire vos messages en français!

Hello Charlie!

Welcome to The TMV World Forum!

Please consider using the Google Translator so our English speaking members can read your French language posts!

france-america.jpg

• Administrator

Bonjour Charlie!

Bienvenue au Forum mondial de TMV!

S'il vous plaît envisager d'utiliser le traducteur de Google afin que nos membres anglophones peuvent lire vos messages en français!

Hello Charlie!

Welcome to The TMV World Forum!

Please consider using the Google Translator so our English speaking members can read your French language posts!

france-america.jpg

Hello Charlie,

I'm not sure if you've read my "Welcome message" that I sent you when you first joined, but again, a Sincere Welcome to The Modern Vocalist World Forum !!!

I'm one of the members who can only speak English... Yes, please use the translator so I can read your posts.

Thank you so much !!!

Adolph

Hello Charlie,

I'm not sure if you've read my "Welcome message" that I sent you when you first joined, but again, a Sincere Welcome to The Modern Vocalist World Forum !!!

I'm one of the members who can only speak English... Yes, please use the translator so I can read your posts.

Thank you so much !!!

Adolph

hello Adolph,

yes I read.

sorry again