Guns 'N Roses - Don't Cry

Rate this topic

I'm fairly new to singing, but I really want to learn. Over the past few weeks I've lurked on here and have started singing with a choir! Anyhow, this is my cover of Don't Cry by Guns N Roses, one of my favorite songs. Please listen and give me feedback. I'd love to learn how to sing beautifully one day, but I have to put myself out there!

Off pitch in the beginning, like you couldn't hear the key of the music. I would say, turn the music up a little bit and sing louder, instead of whispering in places. Also, think of the lyrics as melody, not prose to be recited. Sing differently than you speak. And don't worry so much about matching Axl's tone, though you got some natural features in your voice that sounds like him, You have about the same speaking pitch, though he has a midwestern accent.

I think you could totally do this song, I just want to hear you commit full tilt into it.

Off pitch in the beginning, like you couldn't hear the key of the music. I would say, turn the music up a little bit and sing louder, instead of whispering in places. Also, think of the lyrics as melody, not prose to be recited. Sing differently than you speak. And don't worry so much about matching Axl's tone, though you got some natural features in your voice that sounds like him, You have about the same speaking pitch, though he has a midwestern accent.

I think you could totally do this song, I just want to hear you commit full tilt into it.

I will! This is my favorite song of all time. I just needed pointers. Thank you so much for your feedback. I've just began exploring my voice and noticed my strength is my chest. I'll definitely keep at it.!

Good effort for just beginning. You have a good tone of voice, something that can be kind of a given thing for a lot of people. That it is, while you can change your tone to some degree, it helps to have a good one at the start. And you have that.

Good effort for just beginning. You have a good tone of voice, something that can be kind of a given thing for a lot of people. That it is, while you can change your tone to some degree, it helps to have a good one at the start. And you have that.

Thanks again :)

I'll remember that as a possible strength.

Any other artist who are also baritones that you'd recommend I can cover?

Dont get hung up on baritones tenors and basses. Fach doesent mean anything in pop music or should i say contemporary. we have a thread about bari's basses singing high here on forum with 200+ posts. take a read.

Now i think you are speak-singing. you need to really get into singing mode. its hard for me to explain as im a begginer also. But try giving it more strenght like ron said and dont be afraid of "sucking". i thnk you are trying to much to not sound bad or embarassing, and then you end up almost reciting the lyrics.

I can hear that you have an ear for pitch. it wasnt perfect but you hear the melody and you are trying to follow it, and you DO, but its more of a "lyrical recitation" (if thats a thing) than singing.

Try to loose up and really let it go and record again.

Dont get hung up on baritones tenors and basses. Fach doesent mean anything in pop music or should i say contemporary. we have a thread about bari's basses singing high here on forum with 200+ posts. take a read.

Now i think you are speak-singing. you need to really get into singing mode. its hard for me to explain as im a begginer also. But try giving it more strenght like ron said and dont be afraid of "sucking". i thnk you are trying to much to not sound bad or embarassing, and then you end up almost reciting the lyrics.

I can hear that you have an ear for pitch. it wasnt perfect but you hear the melody and you are trying to follow it, and you DO, but its more of a "lyrical recitation" (if thats a thing) than singing.

Try to loose up and really let it go and record again.

Thank you very much for the input you've given! I've decided to re-record "Don't Cry" and will post the results on a thread!