Running / Jogging benefits for the voice

Rate this topic

EveryVoice

Hi everyone.

Lately I've been going out for a run and instead of working my voice out at home with next door neighbors getting annoyed at me, I've been singing in the countryside. I find a quiet spot in the grass after a run and I can just let loose instead of worrying about people hearing me and annoying people.

Something that I've noticed is after running for about 20-30 minutes, everything is much easier! Bridging and connecting, not straining, sustaining notes.. it's a whole lot easier. I'm guessing this is to do with the breath from the running. Whilst running i'm taking big breaths in and out. It's great! My voice feels a whole lot better after a run instead of spending minutes doing breathing exercises at home stood still. 

I also workout my voice when running back too. Each time one of my feet hit the ground, I let sounds out like "Yah", "Hee", "Muh", "Ma", "Hey" and it feels totally fine and released. It's like my voice is going where it wants to go naturally instead of me overthinking things and ending up straining.

I just thought I'd mention it. Maybe it will help someone!

Have your neighbors complained to you or did you just assume they would be displeased?

When I lived in a condo in Dallas, I would practice my singing at full volume. My neighbors, newlyweds, were enjoying the marital bliss. So, even steven, so to speak.

Never complained to each other about anything.

The other neighbors had a loud stereo and liked dance music. So, I turned my 200 watt amp to the wall and wailed out "Snakesin Cowboys" by Ted Nugent.

Never any complaints.

Running or even a long walk almost does the same as warming up for me. And, I feel your pain. For the last couple years I've been practicing on a freeway overpass over the 101 freeway in LA. Actually works perfect. The noise drowns me out to anyone not on the walkway so I can feel free to go for stuff and sound like absolute crap and no one will ever know. 

Have your neighbors complained to you or did you just assume they would be displeased?

When I lived in a condo in Dallas, I would practice my singing at full volume. My neighbors, newlyweds, were enjoying the marital bliss. So, even steven, so to speak.

Never complained to each other about anything.

The other neighbors had a loud stereo and liked dance music. So, I turned my 200 watt amp to the wall and wailed out "Snakesin Cowboys" by Ted Nugent.

Never any complaints.

My neighbors haven't complained. One time they did bang on the wall but I'm not surprised because I was singing at 10pm! It wasn't fair on them for me to be singing at that time. They are decent people though. They have a son who often shouts his head off at his mom and at people he's playing against on his online games so it makes me not feel as guilty when I sing hehe.  I can imagine it getting annoying for them though even when I do exercises and singing earlier in the day. Constant sounds all the time. The great thing about doing it whilst stood or sat on a patch of grass out in the country is that I can make as many sounds as I like and just totally relax and experiment with my voice without being afraid of annoying people, which will definitely effect my voice if i'm worrying about disturbing people. When in the house, I'm usually like, "Ok so now I'll do this 5 tone scale, now this octave scale". But in the country I can just make random sounds as well as do the scales.

Funny story Ron haha.

Running or even a long walk almost does the same as warming up for me. And, I feel your pain. For the last couple years I've been practicing on a freeway overpass over the 101 freeway in LA. Actually works perfect. The noise drowns me out to anyone not on the walkway so I can feel free to go for stuff and sound like absolute crap and no one will ever know. 

Yes I know what you mean about running doing the same as a warm up! Glad it worked out for you man!

Hi everyone.

Lately I've been going out for a run and instead of working my voice out at home with next door neighbors getting annoyed at me, I've been singing in the countryside. I find a quiet spot in the grass after a run and I can just let loose instead of worrying about people hearing me and annoying people.

Your life sounds so beautiful. :') 

Hi everyone.

Something that I've noticed is after running for about 20-30 minutes, everything is much easier! Bridging and connecting, not straining, sustaining notes.. it's a whole lot easier. I'm guessing this is to do with the breath from the running. Whilst running i'm taking big breaths in and out. It's great! My voice feels a whole lot better after a run instead of spending minutes doing breathing exercises at home stood still. 

I also workout my voice when running back too. Each time one of my feet hit the ground, I let sounds out like "Yah", "Hee", "Muh", "Ma", "Hey" and it feels totally fine and released. It's like my voice is going where it wants to go naturally instead of me overthinking things and ending up straining.

I just thought I'd mention it. Maybe it will help someone!

Interesting. After I go running, it's harder to sing. Everything is back to normal in about an hour though.