Gsoul82

GSoul Got 4 Pillars! (Thoughts/Progress)

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Will do, Coach. I've already done several of the workouts, but I want to put stuff in here regularly to keep me accountable. And I'll be able to see how I gradually improve.

1 person likes this

Go to:

Integrated Training Routines > 

onsets and sirens: Resistance: #3.

Think I gotta work on my resonant tracking. The vibration is there but I don't think it's strong enough and it's definitely not as loud as done on the instructional videos.

I was about to upload an exercise but it would make too much noise now. I was going to do the Track and Release along with the mp3. I will just do it real quick tomorrow. I'll probably do a few others like Dampen and Release, Wind and Release and Quack and Release. Just gotta practice the vowel transitions on that first tuning workout a little more and I can use it.

1 person likes this

Cool.

Even though you may not be totally clear on what your doing, it is starting to come around. You are thinking in terms of onsets, vowels, training routines ... GREAT!

Don't lean into the nasal buzzing Geoff. Students tend to get after it too hard and you just end up grinding... make it gentle, make the vocal folds float on the sub-glottal position with steady respiration... FLOAT, don't Drive it.

From my experience, it took me about 1 1/2 months to get the resonant tracking down. Like Robert said happens with beginners, I was pushing too hard at first and constricting around the passagio. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, muffinhead said:

Like Robert said happens with beginners, I was pushing too hard at first and constricting around the passagio. 

Yes, typically the case. This is why it is so important to take private lessons with me early on, so you are not practicing mistakes. This is one of the MAIN things I go right to in the first lessons. I'm actually looking and in some regards, expecting to see this with a new 4Pillars student is is so common. But with a little bit of coaching, the avoid this first obstacle. 

Did the exercises. Stopped right where things started to constrict. Don't usually sing with much volume, so I gotta get used to it. Also did a siren :D

Track and Release with Guide:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0iwMmkNtl4L

Dampen and Release:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s02MkLkMAeQY

Quack and Release:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1hvLKV9vX7r

Wind and Release:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1mR89TZQ6mq

Wind and Release Siren:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1RczcRW7bVa

1 person likes this

Awesome work. And you have a silky, beautiful voice. And having built such a strong and consistent foundation, you will be at C5 soon enough.

2 people like this

I echo what ronws said, your voice has a very soft and gentle timbre that would suit some music exceptionally well. 

2 people like this

Cool, your using the guide files with the "chanting monks"... thats fine. Recognize that as you scroll down the "My Training" page, you will see "Solo Piano Vocalize (C)"... these are the same workouts Geoff but:

- No chanting monks.

- You have fast and slow versions.

Your Review:

T&R: 

Well done Geoff... however:

- Don't train 20 notes, sing 2 phrases Geoff. Your training has a sort of "poking" at each note, which is common with beginners. This can get you into some problems. Stop thinking about the vocalize as a series of notes lined up.. and start perceiving them as phrases. Which is what you are going to need to do for singing anyways. More "legato" in your perspectives here.

- Shift your resonance forward to a hard palate, edging position. It is a bitt to backward in the resonance. 

- Engage more compression / twang Geoff... your being too soft on the glottis in my opinion. Of course, if you shift forward to the hard palate, the body will naturally want to compress harder anyways, which is a good thing.

- Why are you not bridging this and taking it to a G4 at least? You really need to work on bridging Geoff... just because its hard or sounds bad, doesn' mean you "retreat" and don't work it. Commit to the hard stuff! Shoot some baskets, don't just dribble... get on with "it".

D&R:

- A dampen & release onset does not have respiration escaping through the glottis. Way too windy... way too pampered, too light Geoff. POP that sucker!! /b/ is a PLOSIVE consonant and plosive rhymes with explosive... where is the energy? Your D&R needs work Geoff... you have to improve this because your missing out on a HUGE benefit you can get from this onset. Your larynx is not lowering as well, which is really the main goal. This needs work.

Q&R:

- Again, the glottis is too open, too windy. Does it have to be? The Q&R onset is about producing HYPER-compression... a tight, squeezed, quacky compression for resistance training benefits. 

- 1:00 - not bad...

- Ok, pay attention to this... you are getting the compression... but when you open the embouchure, listen how the compression is weakening and wind is blowing through. This is VERY common when people being doing the Q&R onset... when the embouchure is shaped, the glottis blows open... THIS IS THE #1 THING TO FOCUS ON WITH Q&R ONSETS... AS YOU RELEASE THE VOWEL AND SHAPE THE EMBOUCHURE, HANG ONTO THE COMPRESSION.

- Actually the last one you did in this sample maintained the compression... this could be better.

W&R:

- Under powered, no energy? Geoff, inhale and blow that thing! Why is this so meek and weak? I am not convinced that this what you have in you. You need to execute a lot more aggressively Geoff.

W&R + Glissando:

- Was windy..

ok, so overall... you are under-resourcing these onsets and workouts. You are way, way too light and meek. Geoff, you need to start hitting these onsets harder and I did say "hit"... which you know I don't say very often. Watch the videos of me doing the onsets in the "My Training" page and match my energy, execution as best you can. You have got to train harder, this is so passive and light, your not building strength with this.

I think you are getting coordinated and there is some benefit from this, but your missing out on strength building. Your not moving any "weight". 

You should get in front of me for a skype lesson so i can get you on the right path.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Robert Lunte said:

Cool, your using the guide files with the "chanting monks"... thats fine. Recognize that as you scroll down the "My Training" page, you will see "Solo Piano Vocalize (C)"... these are the same workouts Geoff but:

- No chanting monks.

- You have fast and slow versions.

Your Review:

T&R: 

Well done Geoff... however:

- Don't train 20 notes, sing 2 phrases Geoff. Your training has a sort of "poking" at each note, which is common with beginners. This can get you into some problems. Stop thinking about the vocalize as a series of notes lined up.. and start perceiving them as phrases. Which is what you are going to need to do for singing anyways. More "legato" in your perspectives here.

- Shift your resonance forward to a hard palate, edging position. It is a bitt to backward in the resonance. 

- Engage more compression / twang Geoff... your being too soft on the glottis in my opinion. Of course, if you shift forward to the hard palate, the body will naturally want to compress harder anyways, which is a good thing.

- Why are you not bridging this and taking it to a G4 at least? You really need to work on bridging Geoff... just because its hard or sounds bad, doesn' mean you "retreat" and don't work it. Commit to the hard stuff! Shoot some baskets, don't just dribble... get on with "it".

D&R:

- A dampen & release onset does not have respiration escaping through the glottis. Way too windy... way too pampered, too light Geoff. POP that sucker!! /b/ is a PLOSIVE consonant and plosive rhymes with explosive... where is the energy? Your D&R needs work Geoff... you have to improve this because your missing out on a HUGE benefit you can get from this onset. Your larynx is not lowering as well, which is really the main goal. This needs work.

Q&R:

- Again, the glottis is too open, too windy. Does it have to be? The Q&R onset is about producing HYPER-compression... a tight, squeezed, quacky compression for resistance training benefits. 

- 1:00 - not bad...

- Ok, pay attention to this... you are getting the compression... but when you open the embouchure, listen how the compression is weakening and wind is blowing through. This is VERY common when people being doing the Q&R onset... when the embouchure is shaped, the glottis blows open... THIS IS THE #1 THING TO FOCUS ON WITH Q&R ONSETS... AS YOU RELEASE THE VOWEL AND SHAPE THE EMBOUCHURE, HANG ONTO THE COMPRESSION.

- Actually the last one you did in this sample maintained the compression... this could be better.

W&R:

- Under powered, no energy? Geoff, inhale and blow that thing! Why is this so meek and weak? I am not convinced that this what you have in you. You need to execute a lot more aggressively Geoff.

W&R + Glissando:

- Was windy..

ok, so overall... you are under-resourcing these onsets and workouts. You are way, way too light and meek. Geoff, you need to start hitting these onsets harder and I did say "hit"... which you know I don't say very often. Watch the videos of me doing the onsets in the "My Training" page and match my energy, execution as best you can. You have got to train harder, this is so passive and light, your not building strength with this.

I think you are getting coordinated and there is some benefit from this, but your missing out on strength building. Your not moving any "weight". 

You should get in front of me for a skype lesson so i can get you on the right path.

Thank you for coming and seeing my exercises.

T&R: 

Alright, I understand what is being said here. I need to look in the book at edging. I actually did keep the Track and Release exercise going until I was on a note that I couldn't quite maintain pitch on. I trimmed this audio file and a couple others so that you could see just the notes I could do comfortably. Now that I know you want to see me go all the way, I will leave that on next time.

D&R:

Cool. I need to look at respiration in the guide because that's another term I don't understand. I will also keep in mind to lower the larynx. 

Q&R:

I do notice the change that can be heard when I open the embouchure. I will work on it.

W&R:

Oh, is the idea to do every exercise as loud as I can?

W&R + Glissando:

Oh, it's windy as well.

I think I'm coming to see the way things need to be done. Increasing the volume is an easy way to channel the aggression and the aggression makes it easier to maintain the compression. I also do have a breathing problem but I did see a guide last night to repair that.

9 hours ago, ronws said:

Awesome work. And you have a silky, beautiful voice. And having built such a strong and consistent foundation, you will be at C5 soon enough.

Thank you. Anything in particular that needs work?

1 person likes this

Geoff, just get more contact, more execution on the glottis. Drive it a more... your ok.

1 person likes this