JonJon

Hello all, new TVS member here

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hello Robert and Hello to all!

I just ordered the TVS program and am excited to start working on my singing.

Quick bio. 48 Y.O. male from southside Virginia. I have played lead guitar since 1988. After taking many years away from home recording, I got back into it about 18 months ago and had to learn the new DAWs etc from scratch.

To make a long story short, I have about 50 "songs" on my hard drive that need vox. I also have quite a few lyrics written without any music etc. It has been difficult (impossible) for me to find any singers to work with so the next logical step is to just develop my own singing voice more. Hopefully it is not too late. Besides which, I love to sing even if I am not very technically aware at this moment.

As far as singing, I want to sing rock, classic rock, 80-90s rock, grunge, bluesy styles etc. In my songs I generally find myself in sort of the style of VH, Rainbow, Whitesnake, LedZep....sort of melodic and bluesy stuff. (at least thats the aim, hehe)

My fave singers in no order. Ann Wilson, David Coverdale, Goran Edman, John Sykes, Glenn Hughes, Mark Slaughter, Marq Torien, Barry Gibb, Layne Staley and many others. I am not fixated on copying anyone though, I just want to develop my own innate abilities. My dream song might be "Love Kills" by Mark Slaughter when he was with Vinnie Vincent, but again, its not a fixation. (Im aware Mark had a pretty high voice lol)

My current estimation of my singing abilities? I have potential to have a nice voice etc but am pretty clueless technically and totally untrained lol. Just from browsing vids etc I think I have a good understanding of some of the terminology....chest voice, head voice, falsetto, bridging etc. I understand the concept of vowel modification but have never tried to practice it myself.

I am probably like a lot of other untrained people. If the song happens to "fit" my current capabilities, then I sound decent. But if it doesn't, I sound like a frog that spent the previous day hollering at a sports event. Sometimes I can sing along with the verse to a song but when it goes into the higher chorus part I cant hit that.....or I can hit it but I have to jump up to head voice with no bridging going on lol.

I think my head voice is developed to some degree but there is a no mans land between my chest voice and head voice. If I work on a song I tend to get into a lot of pushing/straining/choking lol. No bridging currently happening. On occasion I also like to throw in some BeeGees falsetto.

Anyway, I am excited to get to work and am looking forward to some nice progress.

I am throwing in this link to a "before" song where I sang and played guitar over an existing rhythm track. This was in Jan 2014. Pretty sure all the vox are doubled. (manually sang twice) Im pretty good at doubling...since I have never thought my voice was good enough to stand on its own yet lol. Any feedback on the singing is welcome. Id be interested as to what my natural range is. I understand it isnt going to be that impressive as it is an untrained voice but maybe we can get an idea of what we are working with and what potential for range and style I might have etc

Thanks a lot for any feedback!

https://clyp.it/egudjvlp

Peace, JonJon

3 people like this

Welcome Brother... it is great to have you on board with TVS and here on the forum... Keep me posted and you can catch me in person on the real time chat system out on the site if you like. 

Also, please add a picture / avatar to your profile picture for us... 

Welcome!

1 person likes this

Thanks G. Imma try to get some singing posted for review. Ive got SO much to learn

Welcome to The Modern Vocalist World Forum, Jon !!!

1 person likes this

Im going to keep this here. A list of high notes in songs.

C5

Rainbow L.A. Connection (verse notes)
Queen Play the game
ACDC Kicked in the Teeth, Riff Raff
Boston Party
Cult American Horse, (a couple brief c5 notes, mostly chorus is G4,A4)
CCR have you seen the rain

B4
Journey Don't Stop Believing
Nillson Without You
U2 Pride
Soundgarden Rusty Cage
Rainbow Cant let you go
Led Zep Lemon Song
Soundgarden Gasoline
AIC rooster
IronMaiden Trooper
Cult Sweet Soul Asylum, Pheonix, Automatic Blues,
ACDC Shook me all night long

Bb4
Chevelle Face to the Floor
AIC Man in the Box, Love Hate Love
Seal Kiss from a rose
Cult Sweet Soul Sister, Big City,

A4
Pantera Cemetary Gates
Dio Last in Line
AIC Rain when i die
Cult Rain, Fire Woman, Edie,
STP Sex type thing. Piece of Pie, Where the river goes
CCR Spell on you, Travelin' Band
ZZ Top  Need you tonight

G#4
Layne Staley Junkhead demo, confusion, I stay away, sunshine
Cult White

G4
STP Dead and Bloated, Plush,Sin,

1 person likes this

Cool Jon, thanks for sharing this... I would pontificate and add more here, but I am totally swamped... please forgive me.

I would say, it would be good to add some:

- queensryche

- Dream Theater

- Fates Warning

- Sheriff

Here are some high notes for you... face melting:

Well when I said "high" I meant relatively speaking. In other words these are notes that are just getting up through the typical vocal break...nothing majorly Earth shattering

G4 and up etc

I just wanted to have a nice list so I wouldnt have to look up stuff over and over lol

Another song that ends on A4, "Stairway to Heaven." Except, on the early album versions before the modern day practice of digital re-mastering, you could hear Plant a few cents flat from the A4. But it was a keeper because he had some awesome tone going on.

22 hours ago, ronws said:

Another song that ends on A4, "Stairway to Heaven." Except, on the early album versions before the modern day practice of digital re-mastering, you could hear Plant a few cents flat from the A4. But it was a keeper because he had some awesome tone going on.

that was back when albums had that certain quality....lets see, what was it called? Been so long I cant remember....uhmm...oh yeah! HUMAN!

2 people like this

Too many people approach the ease of editing digitally with the wrong sense of purpose. I like the old human recordings. Just because you can fix and edit something to death does not mean that you should. That being said, part of the reason for letting a flat note get on the record is time and money. No one may have noticed until the mastering phase. You have to remember, that was 1974. Tape machines were reel to reel and it would be another ten years before you had affordable 4 track machines that used cassettes.

So, here you are mister producer (in this case, a lot of Jimmy Page in the decisions.) The album was already in the can and in mastering, where they set order and eq and sound levels to sound good on a vinyl LP phonograph. And that last note was the only note in the whole song that was a smidge off and no one catches it until now, yes that really does happen. Well, that would mean that you would have to go back, cut out with a razor just the section with the end part in it And record on another piece of tape and splice it in. And you won't get the same sound. The song was recorded in one take in the great hall at the Crowley castle that Jimmy had just bought.

Or just leave it be and release the album on time. A lot of human things left in were done so because it was too expensive or laborious to go and fix it later in the game,

Not the case now with DAWs and gigantic memory. You can keep all takes nondestructively. You can edit as easily as you would with a word document. Line up whatever you want wherever. If you have a DAW like Reaper, Pro Tools, FL gazillion, you already have more, functionally, than the beatles did for recording strategy.

Now, you can pick something to death and so you have to force yourself into a "tape" mentality. Give it a finish date and no go-backs after a mix date, just like real life.

1 person likes this

I think I will start making some of my own jam tracks to practice with.

This one is loosely based on the Heart song "Rage".

It hits the following notes in order E-F#-G#-A-A#-B-C.   It has a basic rock feel so obviously one can either hit the root, or hit the 7th, for instance sing D when the track is emphasizing E etc. Its probably also natural to sing the minor 3rd, for instance sing G while the track is on E etc

https://clyp.it/jsv1anfa

I gotta put this here so I dont have to keep looking it up lol.

Jens. Ridiculously inspirational

Jens said--->

0:00- 0:50 Vocalfry and M1 

0:50- 1:23 M2 tops out at around soprano C6#

1:23 to end is whistle it's very very obvious when your in whistle, you wont get the power guys like Ian have in the C5-C6 range using this coordination it would be really really thin and frail.

I guess ill start tracking some of my notes etc.

4-24-16 c5 o, love https://clyp.it/4opbmxzu

5-22-16 some C5s https://clyp.it/qo1hlxcg

5-26-16 A4 B4, Rainbow, D Purple, Badlands, Sndgarden. Wet https://clyp.it/hiia2oqg Dry https://clyp.it/xzn2jbpi 

and some phrases I want to work on and/or eventually hit. (a reminder for my training)...or phrases that I can hit but want to use to work higher

F#4

AIC, I Stay Away " I STAY away" https://clyp.it/lwex0u3o

G#4

Fleetwood Mac, Hold Me "There's NoBOOODY in the future"

A4

Rainbow "I SURRENDER" opening verse line

Foghat, Slow Ride "Slow DOWN, go DOWN"

Deep Purple, Mistreated, "I been MISTREAted"

Soundgarden, Rusty Cage, "break my rusty CAAAAGE"

Soundgarden, Outshined, "SHOW me the power child"

A#4

Rainbow, I surrender.  "DOOONTTTT take away, this feeling inside"

Aerosmith, Angel, "the crying that I do is for YOOOOOOOOOOOU"

B4

Rainbow "IIIIIIIIII.......Cant let you go" chorus

Whitesnake, Love Aint no Stranger "love aint no stranger, III aint no stranGER"    "broken HEARTed people staring at me"  "I feel the emptiness of LOVE I know so well" "when I read between the LINES"

STP, Sex Type Thing "IIII know you want whats on my mind"

Badlands, Seasons "III know its too laATE"  "time alOOONE"

C5

Aerosmith, Dude, "DUDE LOOK LIKE a LAdy"

Aerosmith, Nobodys fault, "LORD I must be DREAMING"

D#5

Foghat, Slow Ride "Hold me, ROLLL me"

Badlands, Seasons, "all the DREAMS we thought"  "these dreams will save our LONely times"

E5

Heart, Barracuda "no right no wrong, selling a song...a NA-AAAAAAME"  NA is F#5, AAAME is sustained E5

Heart, Barracuda "if the REEEAL thing dont do the trick"...slides up to E5

Heart, White Lightning and Wine, "never will forget I CAAAME" "guess you better hitchike HOOOOOME"