Kermit the Frog Sound? (Depressed larynx)

• TMV World Member

I've heard a lot about depressing the larynx with the tongue and how one tells that they're doing this by the fact that they sound like Kermit the Frog but are there any examples out there people doing this or are there even any examples of singers who sing that way ?  I may have that problem myself, i've been to a quite a few different coaches and the one I have at the moment has had me vocalizing with my tongue touching my back teeth as well as with my tongue sticking out but it still sounds muffled or hollow when I sing a scale or just anything in that general part of my voice.  Also just in case anyone was wondering i'm as bass as far I know....the voice type not the fish...

• TMV World Legacy Member

Check the southern  Rock band "Blackfoot" .  Kermit the Frog to me is more of a swallowing(high larynx closed back of throat) sound not depressed larynx.  Depressed or low larynx would be more of a Yogi Bear (low larynx, open back of throat) sound.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

7 hours ago, MDEW said:

Check the southern  Rock band "Blackfoot" .  Kermit the Frog to me is more of a swallowing(high larynx closed back of throat) sound not depressed larynx.  Depressed or low larynx would be more of a Yogi Bear (low larynx, open back of throat) sound.

And also, Molly Hatchet.

And Ian from the Cult. My boss and I will sometimes sing in the office and I figured out that the best way to sing "She Sells Sanctuary" or "Fire Woman" is sound like Marvin the Martian.

Check this out, I think its easy to hear which one is Kermit. It is indeed not caused by a low larynx, more like the mechanisms that lower and raise the larynx fighting each other too hard.

I think in general this sound is heard more often on females (don't know why). Singers that do it from time to time are for example Shakira, Christina Aguilera and Demi Lovato.

I remember Jewel's breakout single. In my opinion I've never heard her top the Kermit factor:

Disappointing to say the least. I love Kermit singers, it's got lots of character. 

Jackie is the King.

I've toyed with the Kermit tone, and while it's true it tends to arise with a mechanism where the larynx and tongue are doing somewhat opposite actions, you can get some of the kermit tone with less tension by sending the tongue backwards. I'm not a master like the prior mentioned singers. The key seems to be primarily tongue placement, but finding the exact shading where it doesn't produce unnecessary tensions is pretty tough and some singers seem to slip into it. 

4 hours ago, Sexy Beast said:

Sorry can't help you there my exercices only work for fish...

also depends on the sub-species. Small mouth bass, large mouth bass, striper (a kind of small mouth bass about the size of a southern Perch and found along with large Crappie (acutal name of the fish and pronounced cr-ah-pee by locals) at Lake Fork, home of the largest Crappie caught (4 lbs)).

:bang:

2 minutes ago, ronws said:

also depends on the sub-species. Small mouth bass, large mouth bass, striper (a kind of small mouth bass about the size of a southern Perch and found along with large Crappie (acutal name of the fish and pronounced cr-ah-pee by locals) at Lake Fork, home of the largest Crappie caught (4 lbs)).

:bang:

People tell me I have a Crappie voice. All this time I thought that it was a bad thing. Thanks Ronws. Just my technique of singing with Fish Lips.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

• Administrator
On February 26, 2016 at 10:03 AM, VideoHere said:

Why not purchase a voice evaluation?  It's inexpensive and will help you.  

Exactly Bob... 

9Lives... You are hitting a good point and an important thing to discuss regarding singing. I have, as do others on this forum, have lots of experience and techniques we can discuss and show you to help you get some clarification on this issue and ultimately fix the issue. 

However, in order to do this... you need to:

1). Enroll in the "Review My Singing" service here at the forum. Click the link below and you will see that it is more then reasonable. 

http://www.themodernvocalistworld.com/store/category/2-premium-membership-plans/

If you feel that your singing is not worth $10... then we have other challenges to content with that are far greater then your confusion about the "Kermit" sound in your voice. Truly learning to sing better and understanding what you are doing, does not come for free. I'm just being completely honest with you.

2). After your purchase of the "RMS" service, you need to post a link into topic you created here. Because if we can't hear what you are doing, then we are all totally wasting our time and just "circle talking" with speculation and guess work... and let's not do that. Let's all, you, me my team... do this the proper way and actually get real answers and real results for you. 

Thus, I am moving this topic to the "RMS" forum where you can open your topic and paste in that sample link after you have the premium forum service.

Respectfully,

• Administrator

... btw, I agree with Ken's points. I would teach the same points actually, but would likely add to it, a lesson on HOW to fix the problem, or how to practice to get the larynx down. Of course you can find detailed videos, lessons and explanations on larynx dampening here: www.TheFourPillarsofSinging.com

For those on a budget, I also have this smaller package available, that can get you started:

Vocal Athlete Training Program:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/vocalathletetraining