Brand New Singer needs help with hitting the higher notes please!

• TMV World Member

Audio clip of me singing if you need it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/229171533/Post%20On%20Forum.m4a

Hello! So I've decided I wanna sing, and I need some help. Though I'm 18, I have a relatively high, young sounding speaking voice. What's odd about that is my range feels most comfortable singing the full range from bass to soprano. I know I have the potential to hit the higher notes, and I can, but when I do the notes sound really, REALLY flat, and I really want to learn to correct that. I found some tests online, and I can easily (without strain) go up to c6 but when I do, the notes between c5 and c6 sound so flat ;_; Can you guys give me some tips to help make it sound better?

• TMV World Legacy Member
14 hours ago, David Mitchell said:

Hello! So I've decided I wanna sing, and I need some help. Though I'm 18, I have a relatively high, young sounding speaking voice. What's odd about that is my range feels most comfortable singing the full range from bass to soprano. I know I have the potential to hit the higher notes, and I can, but when I do the notes sound really, REALLY flat, and I really want to learn to correct that. I found some tests online, and I can easily (without strain) go up to c6 but when I do, the notes between c5 and c6 sound so flat ;_; Can you guys give me some tips to help make it sound better?

Hi David, it is nearly impossible to identify what the problem is without listening to you singing a song, or parts of songs where you do well and not so well, or at least some vocalizes, although singing a real song would be the best way for the very experienced guys of this forum to give you a genuine help. Cheers

Congratulations, You are just like the rest of the male population. Singing is NOT instinctive, there are many aspects that go into it. Best answer is to get a GOOD teacher or GOOD program. "The Four Pillars of Singing" is a good program.

That being said, the reason you sound the way you do when you speak is do to a coordination you are using. You could just as easily speak lower and sound like  an advertising announcer. When speaking we use things like accents, inflections and other types of adjustments that are learned from our environments that  we do not use in singing. Figuring out all of this stuff is almost impossible on our own.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

• Administrator

This is a "Review My Singing" request.

David, we are moving this to the "Review My Singing" forum where links and files are reviewed by the membership, myself and other professionals in the community. It is a paid service. Here are the plans.

http://www.themodernvocalistworld.com/store/category/2-premium-forum-plans/

• 2 months later...
  • TMV World Member

So here I am, back since forever, cause I'm facing the truth. Yes I'm focused on unflattening my voice while singing which has been SUCH a struggle for me, but I also realize that I'm a soprano that wants to be a tenor.  If anyone anyone at all has any tips or anything that could help please tell me.

On 6/1/2016 at 11:25 PM, David Mitchell said:

So here I am, back since forever, cause I'm facing the truth. Yes I'm focused on unflattening my voice while singing which has been SUCH a struggle for me, but I also realize that I'm a soprano that wants to be a tenor.  If anyone anyone at all has any tips or anything that could help please tell me.

I have not ever heard of a soprano becoming a tenor. This should be interesting.

• Administrator

It happens all the time Ron... tribute bands with original high voiced male singers... they grab female singers because they are the only once that can sing the parts.

And... Oh, ok.. Adolph beat me to it... Yes, that is the 1st place to start in regards to wanting to "hit high notes".

On 3/6/2016 at 5:50 PM, David Mitchell said:

Audio clip of me singing if you need it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/229171533/Post%20On%20Forum.m4a

I think you are really talking about C4 to C5. Again that is still a typical male voice range F2- C5 and slightly above. What you are hearing as "Flat is the sound of "Falsetto". You are also using a configuration for singing that more resembles your Speaking voice, at least the way you use your speaking voice.

Your F2 is even brighter and more solid than mine and I normally speak around the G2 to A2 area. The way you speak can be considered an Accent. You speak light and in the general area of F3 and G3. A coordination for singing is more along the lines of the coordination of "Hulk Hogan" doing a wrestling interview with Mean Gene Okerlund(look that up if you have to). I am not saying you are going to sound like him, only that the coordination would be similar. Dampened larynx, Cord compression and airflow and intensity. The best way to learn this stuff for singing and training Is with a program like the "Four Pillars" a very good program well worth the money. Authored and Taught by Robert Lunte whose post is above.

Even though I have a Lower set voice I have found that I have to imitate Louie Armstrong just to get the sound out of my nose (we all have our own little setbacks). That is another reason to have a program like Roberts, We cannot hear ourselves the way others hear us and our own perceived adjustments can be off in ways we would never know.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."