High notes

Rate this topic

Collin571

So I can hit the high notes I want too hit but they tend to have a slight raspy edge to them, I can make it sound not raspy if I open my mouth really wide but then I can't seem to narrow my vowels and it sound kind of dopey.  I Feel like I should be releasing tension and giving more power to the head voice in my mix at this point but I just don't know how.

7 hours ago, Collin571 said:

So I can hit the high notes I want too hit but they tend to have a slight raspy edge to them, I can make it sound not raspy if I open my mouth really wide but then I can't seem to narrow my vowels and it sound kind of dopey.  I Feel like I should be releasing tension and giving more power to the head voice in my mix at this point but I just don't know how.

Then you should do that and report your results.

Or record now as you think the problem is.

Then make these changes you are talking about and record.

Then present both for review and comparison in the "review my singing" section.

11 hours ago, Collin571 said:

I Feel like I should be releasing tension and giving more power to the head voice in my mix at this point but I just don't know how.

Where is the tension, or is it a secret?

What was your question again?

On 3/26/2016 at 1:17 PM, kickingtone said:

Where is the tension, or is it a secret?

What was your question again?

The singing gods just aren't smiling upon me right now.  The tension is very much a secret cause I feel like I've already released pretty much all of it I keep track of my mouth and tongue so where else should I be releasing tension from?

5 hours ago, Collin571 said:

The singing gods just aren't smiling upon me right now.  The tension is very much a secret cause I feel like I've already released pretty much all of it I keep track of my mouth and tongue so where else should I be releasing tension from?

The tension is a secret but you still want blind reaching help? You're right, the gods are not smiling upon you. I would ask what you did to anger the gods but that is probably a secret, too.

Buena suerte.

6 hours ago, Collin571 said:

Diaphragm, chest, shoulders, throat...

The heavy lifting of anchoring and support has to be done by trunk, abdominal and back muscles etc. They are strong and not directly involved in resonance tuning.

If they don't do the work properly, or you are unable to isolate the coordination, your diaphragm, chest, shoulders, throat etc. which are more directly involved with resonance tuning will try to supplement the deficit. They will get tied up trying to be braced, and free and responsive at the same time, causing tension.

40 minutes ago, Collin571 said:

So what you're saying is breath support doesn't come solely from the diaphragm?

The diaphagm is not a muscle you control directly. It is more of a membrain that is dome shaped and sits between the chest and abdomen. The highest peak is in the chest. It is attached to the lower ribs. Expanding the ribs lowers the diaphragm. Keeping the ribs expanded is like a "Break" and slows the expulsion of air. "Diaphragmatic" breathing for singing or singing with the diaphragm is actually usinging the side, abdomen and back muscles to slow the release of the diaphragm to regulate air flow and pressure.

14 minutes ago, MDEW said:

The diaphagm is not a muscle you control directly. It is more of a membrain that is dome shaped and sits between the chest and abdomen. The highest peak is in the chest. It is attached to the lower ribs. Expanding the ribs lowers the diaphragm. Keeping the ribs expanded is like a "Break" and slows the expulsion of air. "Diaphragmatic" breathing for singing or singing with the diaphragm is actually usinging the side, abdomen and back muscles to slow the release of the diaphragm to regulate air flow and pressure.

So on low notes would you be able to feel the tension releasing from muscles in the abdomen as you release your air, and on the high notes you should feel the expulsion of air starting more in the chest region? Trying to figure out how to get proper adduction on my high notes without shakey vibrato or a breathy tone.

1 hour ago, Collin571 said:

So what you're saying is breath support doesn't come solely from the diaphragm?

That is implied by what I am saying, but there is much more to it.

The diaphragm has both involuntary and voluntary action. Contraction of the diaphragm is associated with flattening of its surface and raising of the rib cage.

Breath support is an imprecise term, but the diaphragm, its anchors and the entire rib cage play a central part.

On 3/28/2016 at 2:10 PM, Collin571 said:

Ronws, why so salty? I'm a singer in need of help and your response is to make snyde remarks and belittle me. How did you get a 1000+ rating on this site..

You were asked about what is the tension involved. You said it was a secret. And you will not upload a sample for people to hear. And I don't understand how we are supposed to help through words alone.

The rest was humor. You were the one that said the gods are not smiling on you. So, I thought I would run with it. 

When I was a kid and would say "God, why me?" My step-grandfather would answer in his basso-baritone voice, imitating the imagined voice of God, "Because you tick me off."

Which was an answer I could live with.

You are not going to solve problems by giving in to fate and words in a forum will have limited usefulness, 

Really, you should get with a coach. You might contact our benefactor, Robert Lunte, the owner. He does skype lessons, if you are set up for that. And for my money, that would get you even farther than just posting a sample. Because then, you would have the undivided attention of a dedicated and inspired teacher who lives and breathes singing from sun up to sun down.

As for how I get points in spite of being what you think is "salty," I have several humorous replies, all of which will be taken in the wrong spirit, I suppose.

Relax, I am on your side.

3 minutes ago, Collin571 said:

Haha funny story, my bad didn't mean to take what you said so seriously. I appreciate any and all help/knowledge the people here have to offer.

One problem is, just as Ronws' wit can be misinterpreted, so can any advice on singing when written on a forum. There are many good videos and suggestions in the pages of this forum, but only until you have experienced the results you may not understand that advice.  Maybe even weeks could go by and something will just click........... THEN you may say "OH, That is what he meant when he said that".

Anyway, sound samples is the only way for anyone to GUESS what may be going wrong with a particular voice. Even after that there is work or training to be done.

28 minutes ago, MDEW said:

One problem is, just as Ronws' wit can be misinterpreted, so can any advice on singing when written on a forum. There are many good videos and suggestions in the pages of this forum, but only until you have experienced the results you may not understand that advice.  Maybe even weeks could go by and something will just click........... THEN you may say "OH, That is what he meant when he said that".

Anyway, sound samples is the only way for anyone to I 

I'll be posting in the 'Review My Singing' section soon once I purchase the membership.  Little bit short on cash at the moment but can't wait to hear everyone's opinions and criticisms haha.

2 hours ago, Collin571 said:

Is it possible to sing from pure chest voice up into head voice on a slide without a vocal break?  Not talking about a low mixed voice but pure chest voice up into siren without that little crack in between?

Yes. Everything is possible with practice. 

9 hours ago, EisaCurry said:

So... Since head voice starts at around A3, you mean sliding like from A2-A3, then sure, should be easy.

Do you mean you can transition to head voice around A3? I'm asking because I usually start transitioning around G4-G#4-B4...

Interesting. I never thought the transition for head voice was A3. Then, again, I have a high voice and A3 feels like "chest" to me. so, my personal experience could color my perception. Maybe for some people, reaching A3 is akin to entering head voice.