Rate this topic

So I just got the program today, and will pursue it throughout the summer, posting my progress here. I did some track and track exercises today, and I can tell I have quite a bit to work on. My voice is also quite bad right now, as I think I have bronchitis, so I'll keep the singing/vocalization to a minimum until I get fully better, and won't post anything new until my voice is back at 100%, but I can post this siren I did a while back when I wasn't ill. I hope you guys can give me some feedback :)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Pm6POhAyI4

• Like 1

On May 7, 2016 at 8:44 PM, muffinhead said:

So I just got the program today, and will pursue it throughout the summer, posting my progress here. I did some track and track exercises today, and I can tell I have quite a bit to work on. My voice is also quite bad right now, as I think I have bronchitis, so I'll keep the singing/vocalization to a minimum until I get fully better, and won't post anything new until my voice is back at 100%, but I can post this siren I did a while back when I wasn't ill. I hope you guys can give me some feedback :)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Pm6POhAyI4

Muffin, good idea posting here...

Your track:

This is not the Track & Track warm-up which is what I expected to hear. It is however, a rather, uncontrolled siren that is moving way to fast to get the most out of it as a workout and is missing other elements.

When you post here, post you doing the workouts as instructed in The Four Pillars of Singing, so we are listening to and evaluating validated workouts that are also... doing something for you and not wasting your time.

Check out the Check out the content on the Video & Audio Playlist page and start with the Integrated Training Routines.

4 hours ago, Robert Lunte said:

Muffin, good idea posting here...

Your track:

This is not the Track & Track warm-up which is what I expected to hear. It is however, a rather, uncontrolled siren that is moving way to fast to get the most out of it as a workout and is missing other elements.

When you post here, post you doing the workouts as instructed in The Four Pillars of Singing, so we are listening to and evaluating validated workouts that are also... doing something for you and not wasting your time.

Check out the Check out the content on the Video & Audio Playlist page and start with the Integrated Training Routines.

My apologies Robert. I think you misunderstood my post a bit, as I wanted to say that my voice right now isn't well enough to sing or do exercises, and hasn't been so for some time before I got the program. I simply wanted to post something as a sort of baseline, before I even started training with TVS. Hope you understand...

Hey Champ,

Ya, ok... but this presents another issue. How long have you had 4Pillars?

Look, I often hear this, ... "I want to wait a while until I get this done or that module finished or the book read... ", etc.. 

Don't get trapped into a procrastination cycle!!!

You do two things... you study the course work while at the same time, you train the workouts; onsets, ITRs, etc... 

Not one after the other, its both at the same time... Your in the gym now, get going, start working out.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Robert Lunte said:

Hey Champ,

Ya, ok... but this presents another issue. How long have you had 4Pillars?

Look, I often hear this, ... "I want to wait a while until I get this done or that module finished or the book read... ", etc.. 

Don't get trapped into a procrastination cycle!!!

You do two things... you study the course work while at the same time, you train the workouts; onsets, ITRs, etc... 

Not one after the other, its both at the same time... Your in the gym now, get going, start working out.

I've had the program for about 3 days. Are you saying that it's OK to start full speed ahead with bronchitis? I actually want to start training, but have held myself back from doing so because I don't want to injure my voice in the process; that's why I haven't done any heavy vocalizing since I got TFPOS. That's the whole issue. I'm not a procrastinator, that's one thing I want to make clear. I will practice 1-2 hours a day 5 or so times a week, but am worried about singing while sick. Let me know your thoughts on this. 

• Like 1

With Bronchitis?  No, its not... Sorry, that was a ready, aim, fire ... Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, muffinhead said:

I've had the program for about 3 days. Are you saying that it's OK to start full speed ahead with bronchitis? I actually want to start training, but have held myself back from doing so because I don't want to injure my voice in the process; that's why I haven't done any heavy vocalizing since I got TFPOS. That's the whole issue. I'm not a procrastinator, that's one thing I want to make clear. I will practice 1-2 hours a day 5 or so times a week, but am worried about singing while sick. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Preview the contents of the program, Whatch the videos and pay attention. There are a lot of insights that will get you ready mentally when you are ready physically to stat the training.

You may not be ready to do a full blown exercise but there are some onsets that you can work on without getting too physical with them.

Good luck and I hope get well soon.

• Like 3

The only problem with singing or training for singing with a respiratory ailment is that it make effect the ease of inhalation and exhalation and play havoc with breath control. And you might get into some bad habits. Take some drugs, drink some water, like your doctor told you, and get well. Then, go full tilt boogie.

OK, I tried some more track and track exercises today, and I've having a tough time on the "n" nasal consonant. Let me know what I'm doing wrong. Also, should I go into head voice during this exercise, or down an octave when my voice cracks (as it does in this example)? Lastly, I apologize for singing out of time, as I was playing the audio from my computer, which doesn't have very loud speakers, so I couldn't hear the track half the time. 

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1STebbmM6g8

Hey again, 

I did some sirens with a track and release onset today. What is going on when I switch to that different, less powerful tone, after G4? My larynx is shoved up into my throat when I use this tone. Also, why am I experiencing some cracking and other weird noises when I ascend and descend the sirens?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0JiSPdp2TSL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, muffinhead said:

Also, here is a fairly good A4 siren. Is this what I'm looking to achieve and improve upon?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0TZrMrLclox

Sounds like you are on the right track, good and solid. I could pay you the compliment others have paid me. You have an A4 that sounds free and easy, like you live there.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2016 at 9:59 PM, ronws said:

Sounds like you are on the right track, good and solid. I could pay you the compliment others have paid me. You have an A4 that sounds free and easy, like you live there.

Would you say I'm belting, or using my head voice in that siren?

To me, it sounds like a belt, whether you are actually belting or not. It is possible to use head voice and have it sound like a belt. This requires you to let go of physical ideas of what is belt or head voice and instead, go for the strength of sound. And that is mental, which is the hardest thing of all.

• Like 1

"Belting In The Head Voice" = Head Voice or Higher Formant resonance... which is never going to change with... added TA musculature strengthening + coordination INSIDE these higher frequency/resonance positions.  It is just that simple. So in a sense, the musculature anchors or is far less static... the acoustics are fluid and dynamic and forever modifying and changing, per the frequency.

- The resistance training onsets.

- The 5 Integrated Training Routines.

- And about 6 other supplemental singercizing ideas and lectures ALL... 

- ... and a commitment to practicing and training... not expecting to have it all happen to for you from a "free secret tip"...

In The Four Pillars of Singing, builds this musculature and coordination.

This is what it takes... and there are no short cuts or "secret tips" on YouTube or this forum that are going to actually give you a lasting result, you HAVE to do the work!

TFPOS_email_banner_2a_600x69.jpg

... Hey Muffin... looks like you ARE doing the work and are a student of TVS... sorry if it seems like Im picking on you.. not always clear on who is posting what in here... kinda "ready, shoot, aim", sometimes... I'm going a mile a minute.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Robert Lunte said:

... Hey Muffin... looks like you ARE doing the work and are a student of TVS... sorry if it seems like Im picking on you.. not always clear on who is posting what in here... kinda "ready, shoot, aim", sometimes... I'm going a mile a minute.

No problem, Robert; I can't imagine how many people you give advice to and teach on a day to day basis. And it's also very heartening to hear that I'm doing something right, from you. Thanks :)

Just practiced some more sirens today with track and release and quack and release onsets, and after recorded a section from Radiohead's "Creep," with some A4's thrown in. It sounds pretty wimpy, but I'm happy I've learned how to sustain the notes in head voice. 

http://vocaroo.com/i/s107ZQqXOMEL

You are making good steps of progress. Your voice is really strong in parts, though slightly off pitch and I think that is because you were singing so loud you could not hear the guitar as a reference. But you are going in the right direction. I would like to hear you do this song full, sometime.

Nice work, muffin. And Robert is right about jumping into things. 

I'll be posting in my progress thread very soon so you'll have somebody else posting progress regularly with you.

• Like 1

So my mother said that I am singing too loudly and that singing softer is better for development of my technique. Is this true? Also, I was told by her that I don't sound good and that my goals are too lofty. Thoughts?

Probably I would disagree with your mother. Then, again, I am on the highway to Hell. Keep the lofty goals. Read the tag in my posts. "Winners never quit." Notice that it does NOT say that winners never fail. Winners fail all the time. Probably moreso than quitters. Because they don't quit. They keep trying and failing until they succeed and win.

There is no proof that I know of that singing softly will improve your singing. Gaining control and consistency through training will improve singing, whether it is soft or loud. You may not sound polished and professional now but you will. How many times did Mikael Baryshnikov fall before he could dance on air? There was probably a time in his life when someone thought, "man, that guy moves like four flat tires on a muddy road."

• Like 2

Thanks for the inspiration. And I love "winners never quit;" I will always carry that mantra with me as I sing, and in other endeavors as well.