Sophia Grayce - Desperado

• TMV World Legacy Member

I thought that was awesome. It sounds pleasing, is very expressive and in the moment. Stage presence is good, you're in motion, engaged, but it looks natural and too theatrical or stagey.  

The only thing I'd wonder, is it's a great timbre, but if I tried to imitate I picture myself tiring out with too many songs like that in live singing.

When I sing breathy I often aim to find a brighter resonance a little twang, and use just the minimal hiss to get the breathy sound. If I get too breathy without resonance I get a bit huffy and fatigued and it's easy to want to to either blow air or pinch notes. It's probably just that I can't do what you can do, though. :4:

This is good. You should keep doing it, I missed hearing you, and glad to see you back. I see a lot of potential both artistically as a performer, commercial viability as well. 

1 hour ago, KillerKu said:

I thought that was awesome. It sounds pleasing, is very expressive and in the moment. Stage presence is good, you're in motion, engaged, but it looks natural and too theatrical or stagey.  

The only thing I'd wonder, is it's a great timbre, but if I tried to imitate I picture myself tiring out with too many songs like that in live singing.

When I sing breathy I often aim to find a brighter resonance a little twang, and use just the minimal hiss to get the breathy sound. If I get too breathy without resonance I get a bit huffy and fatigued and it's easy to want to to either blow air or pinch notes. It's probably just that I can't do what you can do, though. :4:

This is good. You should keep doing it, I missed hearing you, and glad to see you back. I see a lot of potential both artistically as a performer, commercial viability as well. 

Thanks for your words of encouragement KillerKu. I'm graduating high school this week and will be writing and recording over the summer with a record producer. I'll probably be posting some my original songs that I'm working on to get everyone's feedback. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, SophiaGrayce said:

Thank You Adolph,
 It's nice to hear from you again, I hope all is well.

Very well done, Sophia ! I enjoyed it very much.    :41:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's very nice to hear from you again as well ! I'm doing fine, Sophia. Thank you for asking :)

It's GREAT to hear that you will be writing and recording with a record producer. (I recall you mentioning that last year). I can't wait to hear your originals ;) Yes, please DO post them here on the forum !!!

With regards to your graduation - My Sincere CONGRATULATIONS !!! :)

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

• TMV World Member

nice singing and very attractive girl.

Obviously there is nothing "wrong" with the singing so if I am to offer any constructive criticism at all I have to nitpick.

The only nitpick I can come up with is that at times it seemed a tiny bit TOO far "behind the beat." Obviously its not a fast, driving tune, but even so I thought a few of the phrases were a bit too drawn out. In other words if u synched up your track to the Eagles track, there would be times where they either started or ended the phrases a little quicker than u did.

A great deal of the feel of a song is determined by how things fit together in the "pocket". Obviously a sort of behind-the-beat feel is emotional etc but it can also get sort of draggy and depressing if overdone.

Again, there is nothing "right" or "wrong" in it per se but just keep that in mind in the future. Just for overall growths sake try to experiment on other songs with "pushing" the beat....starting your phrases a little earlier or a little before the bar actually starts etc.

One thing you can try to build variety and interest into a song is to vary the approach WITHIN the song. for instance do the slow laid back feel for most of the song but when you hit the bridge (or pre chorus, or chorus, or whatever) go to a more pushy, agitated feel. On this song it could have been experimented with on the bridge "dont your feet get cold" etc

Good job though, good luck. I wish id started when I was your age lol

peace, JJ

JonJon, thanks for the feedback. Sometimes I guess I just get into the song and don't think about the points you make, which are really good ones. I'll keep them in mind in the future. ~Sophia Grayce~

• TMV World Member
13 minutes ago, SophiaGrayce said:

JonJon, thanks for the feedback. Sometimes I guess I just get into the song and don't think about the points you make, which are really good ones. I'll keep them in mind in the future. ~Sophia Grayce~

keep in mind I said it was a NITPICK. That means a tiny point lol. I glanced at some of your other vids and I see thats just your basic style. Again, nothing wrong with it at all. Its just a stylistic tendency that makes up your "style". But if we are more aware of our tendencies we can sometimes choose to step outside of them if we want to go for a certain effect etc.

Im only aware of it because my guitar playing (and probably singing) has always tended to be "behind the beat" a little. That means I can groove and flow really easily but I totally suck at any type of "driving" type playing lol

Peace, JJ