Late Legends of 2016 Challenge! (May 2016)

Rate this topic

As we just about come up on the halfway point of 2016, we've unfortunately lost several big names in music. Prince, David Bowie, and Maurice White of Earth, Wind and Fire, just to name a few. This is a challenge where we will challenge ourselves by selecting a song from the catalog of one of these great artists and attempting to sing it ourselves.

The only requirement for this challenge is that the song must be by somebody who passed away in 2016.

As far as time limits for this one goes, I was thinking about 45 days but suggestions are welcome.

• Gsoul82 pinned and featured this topic
8 hours ago, Bzean123 said:

RIP Merle Haggard, 1937-2016.

Awesome. I missed your voice. It's so distinct and that song is a great fit.

I've got a weird situation at home now, so I don't know if I'll have enough personal time to record loud noises right now. Otherwise I'd be all over this.

Great Job Bzean and Gsoul.

I was working on a Glenn Fry song and may upload it later. Too much thought going into it.

This is more the way I work. Remember a song, look up Lyrics and chords and just record it. The melody may be a little off and there is no embellishment. Just my way of interpreting the story.   Here is one for  Merle.

I'm digging both of these. Gsoul sounds great with the Prince tune. I think with an improved mic you'd sit right in that track.

MDEW, I love that. Your voice sounds like you, but more more confident, firm, and supported. It sounds like the best direction you could go. 

I had time to be as loud as I want today without disturbing anyway, so I took rough stab at Life on Mars. It has so many chords and is difficult for me to play and sing at the same time.

I wanted to make sure something was posted before the challenge was over, but I'm hoping to get a better version once I get the chords and guitar playing more memorized.

Nice one, MDEW. I almost forgot how you sound. You get this folklike quality pretty easily.

Enjoyed that one, Ron. First time I ever heard that entire song.

I think you pretty much decided it for me, Killer. Time for me to pick back up that guitar. Not bad at all. I know how limited time can be so feel free to take your time with it. And that actually brings me to the next thing.

How about we let this one go to the end of 2016? It would give everybody the opportunity to do multiple tributes and take their time. Of course, we'll still be doing new challenges while this goes on. We'll get some variety in this sub-forum.

And hopefully we don't lose anybody else this year. :)

On May 25, 2016 at 5:52 PM, ronws said:

Great jobs from MDEW and G. G, I knew you would sound great on that song and, of course, I was right. :)

Gonna work on it. Really smooth it out. I want to have that done in about a month. I think I can pull it off.

20 hours ago, Javastorm said:

Don't have a clue what I want to do for this yet. Love what everyone has posted so far! At least there is the rest of the year.

I think that might be a nice idea, because some people are so pressed for time that they end up not even trying to do something, if they feel they're going to run out of time.

I'd like for it to get to the point in here where people start posting things as they're working through them, rather than not putting anything up until it's a finished product.

14 hours ago, Bzean123 said:

Great idea GSoul! Thinking of another tribute or two already.

This will give me the chance to switch my style up again. I mean, it's Prince, so I wouldn't call it an easy song to sing, but it's also a soul song, which is right up my alley. I like to push myself as much as I can.

I liked that, Felipe. I recorded that one the day after he passed. Might do a bit of a remaster at some point for more fidelity. 

I liked Ronws singing Space Oddity too. Actually I've liked everything everyone has done so far. This thread has some of the highest batting average of our challenges.

4 hours ago, Felipe Carvalho said:

RIP David Bowie:

Great idea gsoul, keep em comming folks!

He breaks left, he breaks right, he scores!! Another slam dunk. Never even heard this song before, but now I have one more Bowie song I like.

Bzean gets most of the credit for suggesting something along the lines of this. We just voted :D

12 minutes ago, Bzean123 said:

Your singing gives me a peaceful easy feeling MDew!

Thanks........ You sure that's not a boring Sleepy Feeling?  I've noticed that about my singing. It may have something to do with recording between 12am and 2 am.

Sounds Good Bzean. Pretty healthy Country/western accent you have going on. Is that from your home town or something you work on? I like it, My accent just trips me up and I have to "Do" something about it or it will take over.

The "Sleepy" sound in my voice is something I have been aware of for a long time and as you said it seems that getting a "Bite"  helps out a little. The last recording of Peaceful Easy Feeling" was the best so far at taking the Sleepy sound out. I watched Glenn sing it a few times "Live" with minimal backing.

So many good Eagles songs to choose from it is hard to settle on one. I may even try a Prince song just for the sake of doing it. "Purple Rain" or "When Doves Cry".  I had Forgotten that Natalie Cole passed this January. So many Good singers and entertainers have passed............