Why are YOU a Singer?

Rate this topic

ronws

Probably an obvious question. Or not.

What makes you a singer or want to be a singer?

I play guitar but around 1988 I realized or decided that I was a singer who played guitar, rather than a guitar player who sings.

So, I am looking for ponderings and pontifications. How you became a singer or what led you here to improve your craft of singing. Or, at least, look for validation of your singing. Sure, anyone can record and release and even be successful as a pro singer. And there are pro singers of varying quality, having nothing or everything to do with their respective success.

However, it seems special to get validation from your peers, namely, other serious singers.

I have always liked singing and everyone in my family sang, so, it did not feel "special." However, I felt the need to sing, even as I learned songs that were hard on the guitar. The point was to do the whole song. Even if only one guitar and voice. I cannot remember a time where I would only want to play guitar and NOT sing. 

Coming here and enjoying the fellowship and awesome opportunity to learn has improved my singing, I think, regardless of having sang for many years, in public, in front of others, including people who do not know me and have no interest in preserving my feelings, delicate or otherwise.

What is it about singing that really draws you in? It's indefinable, even as I try to think of helpful ideas or expressions in this initial post.

I've gotten into singing out of necessity, kind of. I first learned guitar, but realized that playing the chords of my favorite songs was really pretty boring, especially when entertaining people, as I like grunge, which involves droning and repetitive riffs. So, I started to learn how to sing and play guitar simultaneously, which I have down pretty well, after about 5 years of practice. In the last year, I realized that I want to sing well, like my rock idols, and really wow people with vocals...that's probably when I desired to become a singer. In the end, if all goes well, I'll call myself a guitar player who's learned how to sing ;) 

I played instruments. When I listened to the Beatles something clicked and I felt like nothing instrumental would ever compete with the human voice. I decided I would sing because I didn't see any other choice for expressing the concepts in my head.

I think more than anything I feel repressed, oppressed, and stifled, unable to express myself without singing. Singing can put words to, a melody to, and express almost anything human.  When singing I feel as close to free as I know. It can transcend social conventions. I prefer art over other aspects of human experiences because there are no rules, just expression.

It's like freedom personified to use your body and mind expressively. The thoughts arise in your mind, the voice can use and/or transcend language, carry the emotional state in the sound. It feels like the best form of expression I've known due to the musicality, language, emotional prosody, and physical reality of each individual all being produced and transmitted. Most forms of expression feel limited or crippling in comparison.

actually its probably deeper than any of us know. Why do we do anything?

Ive always liked music since I was a kid. I was never really taught about "success" or "believing in myself" type stuff....therefore my whole life has been way behind the curve. Instead of someone handing me a guitar when I was 6 saying "yes, u can play, its not that hard" I had to think it was something for others only, or some kind of mystical thing "out there" somewhere and not for me.

So I didnt start playing guitar until I was almost 21. I learned to play but again I didnt think I was good enough to be in a band etc. That was also "for others but not me"

So long story short, the singing has sort of came upon my by necessity since I am pretty much a loner lol. I just simply cant chase after others and beg them to sing on my songs etc. See also Ez Drummer/bass/producing etc

But like I said, ive always loved music anyway but probably never thought I could sing. Somewhere along the line I started to think maybe I could sing ok. Then in late 2015 I just sort of decided "Im a singer"

So now its not so much a confidence thing, its just a "dude, u can learn to sing....he and she can learn to sing, a blind monkey with 1 leg can learn to sing"

Now, at almost 49 years old, can I DO anything with it?? thats another story. Can I write songs that more than 10 people will ever hear?

for now I like the creation aspect. I have the power for a short while to bring songs into the world. I will never bring kids into the world so maybe ill leave behind a few decent songs

Hummmmmmmmmmm, Why am I a singer? Most people ask what makes me think I am a singer instead of "Why am I a singer".

Whether I sound good at it or not It is what I am. My whole family Sings or plays music(some of them just play the Radio).

Come to think of it......... Maybe I am not a Singer, but a story teller who uses melodies and chord progressions to tell the story. I am not overly passionate about how the voice sounds or even worries about the highest note possible for a person to sing. To be honest having to have vibrato and carrying power or a solid awesome G4 or A4 means nothing to me. Just being able to give the story without having Tomatoes thrown at me is good enough (Although I strive to be better).

I have seen some people get emotional over a single solid resonant note. That is not me. If I cannot understand the words, The singer was horrible, no matter  how vibrant and beautiful the tone. I would rather hear John Prine or Bob Dylan than Celine Dion or even Pavarotti.

So, I guess I have redefined my existence. I am no longer a singer, but a story teller who uses melodies. Who would have guessed?

I consider myself a (working) musician, before anything else.

I've started singing for two main reasons:

a. because people told me that I can't

b. because I wanted to get some independence, being a guitar player only limits you if you want to play in bands - a guitar is the number one Rock and Roll instrument, however, it is the 1st instrument most bands can live without - vocalists, drums and bass are the basis... add keyboards, horns, strings... you already have a song. 

Reasons that made me continue doing it:

a. only instrument you can play while you're stuck in a traffic jam. I spend a lot of time in traffic jams. 

b. I've realized that a lot of my favorite guitarists were singers too I picked up the guitar because of blues guitarists that used the guitar to fill in between the lines they sing... I kind of look up to this model of performance...

c. there's something spiritual about singing. Not in the New-Age mystical way but it's also a nice method of meditation, relaxation and of getting familiar with you body (I know what I wrote, please don't take it to a naughty place, be a better person than I tend to be).

2 hours ago, JohnnyL said:

a. only instrument you can play while you're stuck in a traffic jam. I spend a lot of time in traffic jams. 

or working a dead end job driving a stand up forklift all day lol. I can ride around and get paid for belting practice.

BTW Steve Morse made a small scale guitar and used to drive with his knees and do scales etc back in the day when he had constant long commutes lol http://www.stevemorse.info/interviews/198803guitarplayer.html

Singing is how I express emotion, and how I express myself period. Nothing makes me happier than singing well to a song I really enjoy. It boosts my self esteem too, and makes me feel like I am something special. I love singing melodies the most because I think they're the most beautiful for other people to hear.

I play guitar and keyboards.  And why not have singing to add to the mix.   I need lots of learning.   i  am very new here and here for advice.  I have a hard time feeling the difference between singing from the head and the belly.  And then i heard you can mix the 2 like a wet dry effect.   i hope to learn from you all and that i do not give up.  i am learning to play my recorder which i think is very good for controlling my breathing.    Thanks.   :) and see you all around i think.   This seems like an introduction in the wrong area.  and have a nice day.

I think I am a singer because I spend more time and energy concentrating on the craft of singing than anything else, even if I can play inustruments such as guitar well enough to be considered a guitar player. And I have played guitar for others here to sing over. Tommy did a cover of a Stevie Ray Vaughan song and I played and recorded the guitar track for him. But I still consider myself a singer, over all.

Because if I don't sing I get very depressed and suicidal. Everyone that knows me knows I am super positive and am always happy. But.....  take singing away and you have taken my life away. 

I sing because growing up listening to music I would always imagine myself as the lead singer of whatever I was listening too, would lay awake and fantasize how awesome it would be to perform in front of a crowd and connect with them on a musical/lyrical level.  Also one day I was hanging with someone who was a hardcore singer, a song came in the radio and he belted that ish like I've never heard before, gave me goosebumps and inspired me to want to instill that seem feeling in others with my singing. 

3 hours ago, Jarom said:

Because if I don't sing I get very depressed and suicidal. Everyone that knows me knows I am super positive and am always happy. But.....  take singing away and you have taken my life away. 

Yeah, I've been with and without singing in my life. I am way healthier psychologically with singing in my life. It's kind of a release valve. When something is troubling me I can always write a song and sing it. When I could only write but not sing it. Seemed to make me feel worse.

It's catharsis, and the good kind. I read a few studies saying catharsis made people worse than suppression. Like if they were to punch a pillow they'd feel worse. But maybe they stay mad cause punching pillows is dumb and singers get happier cause singing is awesome. I wouldn't put it past a singer to be able to express anything.

Why do I sing?

I'm really into tones and timbres the voice can produce. I do believe your singing is directly connected to your sexuality and sensitivity.  

I'm forever amazed by the human voice, in terms of just what it does, and what it is capable of.

I feel very fortunate to be able to sing.

My voice is my friend.

• Administrator

Cool philosophical question...

You might guess that my response would be something like,

"... because when I sing, I feel my soul speaking from the inside of my heart and I love sharing my soul and the emotions with the world, it is the most beautiful thing to share my inner child with other people and give them joy and happiness for all of mankind as we all join hands and sing Kumbaya...".  

... But THAT sort of thing is like #4 on my list of why I sing... To be honest, I don't do it for other people.... at least, that is not the main reason... that is a nice benefit that I appreciate and enjoy about singing..., but it is not the source of inspiration as to WHY I DO IT.

The main reason I sing, is because I get off, specifically,... on the sound colors and motor skills it takes to make the male voice sing powerful and HEROIC above the passaggio.

The skill set, the motor skills and the sound colors and feelings this kind of singing produces, really turns me on.... the ability to make vocal sounds and produce emotional vibes, that are "heroic", "masculine" and look, feel and sound "super human" , is the source if inspiration that drives me to dedicate my life to this.  It is like a fetish... a strange thing that turns me on, and always has. I adore it.

Thankfully it is very hard to do... which led me to take lessons and began my journey of discovery about how the voice works and how to teach it. This is why when I sing my originals, my songs tend to be rock, metal and proggy.

I love this vocal sound and approach, which we hear in so many singers and I can do myself these days, but when I was a kid, THIS is what changed my life. 

I would not be the voice coach or singer I am today if I was not challenged by the desire to sing JUST LIKE THIS... 

If I were to revisit my super-early-in-life vocal influences, I'm talking I was maybe 5 or 6 years old, I still remember singing this tune as a little kid.  I got to meet him a few years ago in a Karaoke bar!!

5 minutes ago, ronws said:

Even though I have sang most of my life and pick 1974 as a starting point, this song made me want to really work on my voice. It was everywhere in 1988.

I think it is an awesome tune. I'm still working on this one to get a nice tone and make it with less effort. I think I'm going to heavy on it, compared with Axel's approach. Of course it doesn't help practicing it 1/2 step higher than the original...:(

I remember buying Led Zep's first "album" and listening to the songs and saying hymmm...."Good times bad times"...yeah, I can sing it. I'll tell the guys I've got this one....Then they asked me to do this one and was like Holy S*&^, how the hell am I ever gonna sing this.....This guy must be on some serious drugs....but I tried....LOL

Echoing what Killer and Jarom have said, and I haven't been singing too long - Singing, next to working out, is my go-to activity for feeling good/taking care of myself. I discovered this a few years ago during a low point in my life. Both things are cathartic, but singing compared to exercise for me is more productive and creative and engages me more on a intellectual and spiritual level than just physical. Running can be spiritual too, but singing and its direct connection to music can't make my muscles sore. I used to draw/paint and write a lot growing up, but since I've started singing it's just been such a direct, visceral form of expression that I find myself singing more than those things. I don't know if I'll always keep singing, and I question this a lot, but I am happy I started trying to get into it and if I ever stop, I can say to myself that I tried and it brought me joy.

I always have melodies playing in my head. Sometimes I can hear the whole song. Too bad it is not clear enough to get the words right.

Anyway, people can be talking to me and ask me what I think........ If I was being honest I would look at them and say " Your Mama Don't Dance and Your Daddy don't Rock-n-Roll",   Because that was what was playing in my head while they were talking................................. Sometimes I have to Record the song to get that melody out....................    Maybe that is why I am a singer/guitar player...........Even if I am off key................

11 hours ago, MDEW said:

I always have melodies playing in my head. Sometimes I can hear the whole song. Too bad it is not clear enough to get the words right.

Anyway, people can be talking to me and ask me what I think........ If I was being honest I would look at them and say " Your Mama Don't Dance and Your Daddy don't Rock-n-Roll",   Because that was what was playing in my head while they were talking................................. Sometimes I have to Record the song to get that melody out....................    Maybe that is why I am a singer/guitar player...........Even if I am off key................

I do that, too. And my wife, while not replying, does get songs in her head based on bits of conversation.

But I have used lyrics in conversation. At work, I answer the phone and whoever is there doesn't speak up so I continue:

"Hello. Is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear  me. Is there anyone at home?"

Other times, I will quote movie lines. Same problem, someone calls, and does not speak up immediately and sometimes, it's a butt-dial, and I will drone on a few times, "Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?" ("Ferris Bueller's Day Off.") a la Ben Stein, the actor playing the teacher.

If you come by the office and I need you to follow me to the shop, of course,  you are going to "Walk this Way! and talk this way!" I stop short of the line "just give me a kiss. like this ..."

'What do you want?"

"I want you to want me."

"Where are you going?"

Of course, the classic reply - 

"Living easy

Loving free.

Season ticket on a one-way ride"

I feel bad for other people who happen to be close to me in one of those episodes. I change lyrics also(because I cannot remember them).  "A hole in my Heart that can only be filled by you"  Becomes "A hole in my head that can only be filled by Shoes".   Then I bust out laughing and no one knows why. 

I am not crazy.......... I am just listening to the songs in head................

Always liked music, as a kid. Though I did get to be involved in that somewhat, I didn't really get to do what I wanted to. Wanted to play Saxophone when I was about 6 or 7 but ended up playing Trumpet. Would've kept with it but I had a bad teacher who seemed to be discouraging me for some reason. Really wanted to play piano, but I never brought that up. Also really wanted to sing.

Funny thing about that, if you had asked me back then if you could play an instrument until you got better at it, I would have said yes. If you asked me that about singing, I would've said, "I don't think so."

I think I may have already told this story to some of you. I was 18 and I was walking down the street with a friend I had met a few months before. He started singing. He sounded just like a certain famous somebody.

I said, "I wish I could sing like that." He said, "Why can't you?"

I said, "What do you mean? I ...", and then he said, "You can learn."

I had never thought that was possible before. Then he went on and started explaining wind instruments and how the voice was just one of those.

Funny thing was my mom had an amazing voice. Of course, she sounded like a woman, so I had never said, "I wish I could sing like that" to her, lol. Also, she had always sounded that way for as long as I could remember. She used to sing me to sleep with Whitney Houston songs.

Then I started thinking. If I can learn to sing, I can learn piano. Now, I actually had a keyboard since I was around 15. An acoustic-electric guitar as well. Had a few guitar lessons for a minute but the teacher was inconsistent, so I stopped that and tried learning on my own. Lack of direction meant that didn't go well.

Let me stop myself before I go on an instrumental tangent, lol.

I got voice lessons at 19 and had them for 3 years. Also had the help of that friend. Practiced on my own for 2 years after that. Now, I'm starting to have a voice I feel a little good about. Still needs lot of work, of course, but I've come far. And I've got this community to thank for that (namely Jens, Killer, Ron, MDew, and Robert).

I really don't know why I try to sing. I completely love music. I wouldn't say I'm in bad shape if I don't sing. I'd even say exercise probably makes me feel better, because I love the feeling of sore muscles and it does give me a high. Singing techniques of certain singers just wow me and just make me want to be able to do the same thing. I'll say it was only the last year and a half where I heard somebody sing something and it nearly made me cry. I usually don't get emotional with it like that. And the funny thing is 90% of what I listen to is about love, lol.

Anyways, I'm saying all that to say I don't really know why.

26 minutes ago, Gsoul82 said:

Always liked music, as a kid. Though I did get to be involved in that somewhat, I didn't really get to do what I wanted to. Wanted to play Saxophone when I was about 6 or 7 but ended up playing Trumpet. Would've kept with it but I had a bad teacher who seemed to be discouraging me for some reason. Really wanted to play piano, but I never brought that up. Also really wanted to sing.

Funny thing about that, if you had asked me back then if you could play an instrument until you got better at it, I would have said yes. If you asked me that about singing, I would've said, "I don't think so."

I think I may have already told this story to some of you. I was 18 and I was walking down the street with a friend I had met a few months before. He started singing. He sounded just like a certain famous somebody.

I said, "I wish I could sing like that." He said, "Why can't you?"

I said, "What do you mean? I ...", and then he said, "You can learn."

I had never thought that was possible before. Then he went on and started explaining wind instruments and how the voice was just one of those.

Funny thing was my mom had an amazing voice. Of course, she sounded like a woman, so I had never said, "I wish I could sing like that" to her, lol. Also, she had always sounded that way for as long as I could remember. She used to sing me to sleep with Whitney Houston songs.

Then I started thinking. If I can learn to sing, I can learn piano. Now, I actually had a keyboard since I was around 15. An acoustic-electric guitar as well. Had a few guitar lessons for a minute but the teacher was inconsistent, so I stopped that and tried learning on my own. Lack of direction meant that didn't go well.

Let me stop myself before I go on an instrumental tangent, lol.

I got voice lessons at 19 and had them for 3 years. Also had the help of that friend. Practiced on my own for 2 years after that. Now, I'm starting to have a voice I feel a little good about. Still needs lot of work, of course, but I've come far. And I've got this community to thank for that (namely Jens, Killer, Ron, MDew, and Robert).

I really don't know why I try to sing. I completely love music. I wouldn't say I'm in bad shape if I don't sing. I'd even say exercise probably makes me feel better, because I love the feeling of sore muscles and it does give me a high. Singing techniques of certain singers just wow me and just make me want to be able to do the same thing. I'll say it was only the last year and a half where I heard somebody sing something and it nearly made me cry. I usually don't get emotional with it like that. And the funny thing is 90% of what I listen to is about love, lol.

Anyways, I'm saying all that to say I don't really know why.

Im sort of the same. I didnt touch a guitar until I was almost 21. Why not? Well it wasnt instilled in me as a kid that "you can do anything you want to do."

So I played guitar for like 27 years and at no real point did I think "hey dummy, you can sing too ya know". I sort of fell into it pragmatically since I got tired of writing guitar instrumentals

its interesting that people mention working out (I know Ron trains martial arts etc, DanielF works out etc).  I too have had exercise as a part of my life. Its funny how the art imitates life. There is inner greatness in me...just like in everyone....and there is also a lazy inner slob lol. Unfortunately the inner slob is winning the battle in my life and the inner loser seems to be stronger than the inner winner. my gym going has been sporadic and right now im off the wagon

So last January ('15) I had a bad relationship breakup after over 4 years together. So currently im a lazy, depressed, overweight, unmotivated, slob. Singing has been the only new thing bringing a tiny bit of light into the picture.

Like I say, the art imitates the life. if I write from the heart, then what kind of music comes out???? What comes out is what I am at this moment lol. if someone handed me $1000 and said "write a nice happy song about how you are a winner and on top of the world" I might say "look, just give me $50 and i'll write you a heartfelt song about sense of loss or govt corruption etc" lol

Hopefully the inner winner will get the upper hand and the musical output will show that change in vibe. The originals I have posted here have pretty much been 100% autobiographical...'Minnesota Mama', 'The Garden'. They reference a girl I grew up with whom I ran across after 30 years in Jan '16 when I JUST started singing. I thought she was going to bring incredible light into my life...she could have lol....but it flamed out so far. If her and I were to get together id all of a sudden be a love-song writing machine lol

Id like to be able to "disconnect" and write about anything, even if im not actually feeling it...but so far that hasnt happened