crazy by Gnarls Barkley

Rate this topic

sounds great to me. Maybe distorted the mic a bit on the loud parts (or vibrated stuff in the room lol)

You are probably coming to the point where you just have to keep developing your own ear etc. In other words there's generally not going to be anything glaringly wrong with the singing. Just continue to sing and train and further strengthen things. Continue to find stuff to sing to challenge yourself etc

Cute girl too, Chase your dreams but dont sell your soul.

Peace, JJ

if you want to study an absolute master of stage presence and facial expressions  etc, your fellow Aussie ONJ would be a good place to start. Nevermind that she is a great singer

and this one. yeah, styles have changed since 1978...but she gives a clinic on facial expressions etc at numerous points. :28 - :41 could be studied in great depth lol. Lots of subtle stuff happening

yeah. hard for me to exactly explain but there is a power there lol. I know its a "gift" for sure, but then again im sure its a 'craft' that she studied.

You can look at her peers from that era, Debbie Boone, Abba, Linda Ronstadt, Tina Turner, Diana Ross, Stevie Nicks, Cher, Carly Simon. All great...but NOBODY had that mesmerizing presence like Olivia.

one trick of the trade. She rarely blinks. not sure if she is rocking eye drops or just a practiced discipline or what. But that whole "stare into the camera and dont blink" deal is pretty strong. if you watch clips from the movie "Jesus of Nazereth" (1977). Jesus hardly ever blinked lol. Whether it was a child actor or the adult Jesus....dude never blinked. Like I said, a type of hypnotism/mesmerism

check the "Magic" video. that look at 2:26...a little spooky actually lol

And this. almost hard to look at....yet hard to turn away

Dunno if its a gift, stagecraft, witchcraft, mesmerism, hypnotism, lol...not sure. EVERY male of my generation was bitten lol. And I was hooked in by the music which I heard when I was around 7 and I heard it on the radio..... because I never saw any of those vids until the internet era.

In any case there is huge power in music and stage presentation. Im sort of glad im old now....I dont have to worry about mesmerizing anyone hehe

Just the screen shot in the first video, it looks like her heart is breaking. Breaks my heart just to look at it.

Ellise, you always sound amazing to me. I do not think that I could say anything as far technique to help you improve further. Only keep doing what you are doing.  Just remember  not to get too comfortable and think there is no more room for improvement. Our voices keep growing and changing and we will always discover new aspects of it.

Thanks MDEW  I am not in a comfort zone still a long where to where I want to be.Apart from my singing teacher I am also starting with a leading singing school there focus is performance and I am talking about working with a couple of musicians. I believe the day you decide you are good enough its all down hill from there. Its what I love about this site it really good to get feedback

It's pretty much awesome. Great timbre, explosive. I always like your eyes cause I can always tell you're feeling it.

I think the one thing is the phrasing could use a bit of refinement in the verses. This song is a bit rappy and has some pretty fast phrasing. Sometimes you're lagging enough to lose momentum and have to cluster the syllables. The most extreme example is 1:30.

Phrasing is a really tricky thing. And almost impossible to explain in words.  Maybe listen to some rap just a bit even if you're not a fan otherwise. But think of each syllable. They can be rushed microseconds but it's kind of a give and take thing. If you rush one syllable you'll have to lag later and vice versa and the gist of it will usually fit approximately within subdivisions of 2 or 3 in the beat.  

My idea would be to tap one hand in 4/4 time. And try to rap this song without a sustained melody, or tap it out every syllable. Hone in completely on the rhythm and notice what rhythms seem to drag or propulsive it and what rhythms seem to run out of space or which ones seem to end prematurely.

A lot of it is subjective. So there isn't really a clear right or wrong answer. But I have a feeling if you really get into the rhythm, focus on it and listen to how the rhythm is making you feel. You'll get closer to your right answer. As you said, improvement never ends. What you improve into is up to you.  I think the more you explore it, the more certain patterns will resonate with you over time. And it will be a stylistic thing. So tap it, rap it, and really listen with awareness, lock it into the groove that feels most right for you. It won't be mine or anyone else, but I think it will be refined.

At first, I was not going to listen to it because I am human and I can only imagine Gnarls' tone. But Killer's post made me listen. And I liked it, precisely because it is a different approach than the original. You made this a cover instead of an attempt at tribute, and that was a wise move. Singing the song as if you wrote it.