T. Rex "Mambo Sun" acoustic cover

• TMV World Member

Wow, I've never heard that song before, and I really like it! 

I will warn you that I'm not an expert, but there were a few times I wanted a little more variety, maybe a little more oomph in one or more of the choruses. That being said, I wouldn't take it up too much because it is a very smooth mellow song.

Great job!

• TMV World Legacy Member
41 minutes ago, Bevin Hernandez said:

Wow, I've never heard that song before, and I really like it! 

I will warn you that I'm not an expert, but there were a few times I wanted a little more variety, maybe a little more oomph in one or more of the choruses. That being said, I wouldn't take it up too much because it is a very smooth mellow song.

Great job!

Welcome to the forum Bevin. I agree with her Jeremy. I did not know the song either and you sang it pretty much like T.Rex, BUT if you put your own spin on this and make it yours it will sound much better.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I really liked it.

I have a fantasy dinner, now. You, MDEW, and me at my house, smoking a brisket and I have a few guitars here and you can bring yours and we would inflict our guitar playing and singing on whoever is near, usually my dog and cat and my wife, Brenda. And yes, she likes all kinds of music. One of her favorite albums is Christmas Polka by Brave Combo. And in her car on the way to visit her mother, we have the radio set on Hair Nation or Ozzy's Boneyard. And, I do have the cd Live and Sleazy by the Village People. So, something for everyone to groove on.

12 hours ago, ronws said:

I really liked it.

I have a fantasy dinner, now. You, MDEW, and me at my house, smoking a brisket and I have a few guitars here and you can bring yours and we would inflict our guitar playing and singing on whoever is near, usually my dog and cat and my wife, Brenda. And yes, she likes all kinds of music. One of her favorite albums is Christmas Polka by Brave Combo. And in her car on the way to visit her mother, we have the radio set on Hair Nation or Ozzy's Boneyard. And, I do have the cd Live and Sleazy by the Village People. So, something for everyone to groove on.

5 hours ago, Jeremy Mohler said:

Hell yeah man that sounds awesome.  As long as you guys don't mind having a kid around hahah.. I believe we could pull a pretty mean acoustic version of "Whichita Lineman" between the three of us. :) Thanks for listening

Someone will have to give me a ride..........My tire is flat.  If I start walking now I can be there by september.  Should I bring chips?

6 hours ago, Jeremy Mohler said:

Hell yeah man that sounds awesome.  As long as you guys don't mind having a kid around hahah.. I believe we could pull a pretty mean acoustic version of "Whichita Lineman" between the three of us. :) Thanks for listening 

We'll be a southern version of "two and half men" with ages approximately close to the actors. Actually, Charlie Sheen is a few years younger than I am and Ashton Kutcher is a few years younger than that And MDEW is one year older than I am. You are probably around the same age as the young-un, though a whole lot smarter, which is not saying much. That is, not much effort is needed to be a whole lot smarter than the kid in the show. Kind of backsided compliment, sorry about that.

The only trick is transportation. I live in a little town with 1 stop sign and 4 or 5 churches (I lose count) about 60 miles north of Dallas, a few towns south of Oklahoma. As I like to brag, if I sneeze to the north, it is raining in Oklahoma. Actually, Ok is a beautiful state with a widely varied scenery from a rain forest in the east to high desert in the west, home of the majority of tornados in the world (partially due to trade winds that create this varied topography, more on that later.)

Greyhound does make stops in Sherman, the biggest town nearest to me. Actually close to the border of Denison. You can catch a taxi to my place but there are no bus stops. But the nearest airport for transcontinental is DFW Intl or Love Field. I mean, here in Grayson county Perrin Field is big enough and Air Force One landed there last year so the pres could visit the Choctaw Nation near Durant, Ok. But that was a military op and it just does not get a lot of long distance traffic. It is used mainly for military training exercises.

But I live close enough to DFW and everything here. With minimal traffic and my cruise control set at 80, it would take just about an hour to get to DFW Intl. That's because Rayburn Tollway (sh 121) goes right into DFW. Love Field, near Mockingbird and Inwood takes more time because of traffic and lights. Love Field is only about a mile or so from where I work.

So, now, we're talking what? Plane tickets or bus tickets or train tickets? Union Station is in the downtown Dallas area but is accessible.

It's either that or we get skype and I have to ship my wonderful smoked brisket. Brisket so good it would tempt the faith of a vegan. Yes, being a vegan is a faith and I would be tempting that faith with brisket that nearly melts in your mouth.

Talk me in to it and I will make the homemade barbecue sauce, though I have some store-bought that is pretty good. Then I can do something with shredded slaw, and steamed corn on the cob. I get the unshucked and break them in half for easier eating. I'll cut mine off the cob when ready. Any choice of spices. Seriously, we have spices everywhere. A cabinet I bought, just to house the spices and mixes. On of the few shelf places in the house not loaded down with cook books.

Still, you really need to be here to smell the burning of mesquite wood chunks in a true smoke. Get a snootful of smoke, choke a little, grab a Shiner Bock to clear the palate.

Hahahah man you are crazy.  All this talk of Greyhound buses and road trips is unnecessary.  Surely an event that included two TMV moderators would justify the use of the official Modern Vocalist Private Jet.  We'll just have Adolph leave us the keys for the weekend. :D We can all get together and back home in under 12 hours.  

cPOh14H.png

I see that BZean liked these posts. I vote we invite him also. And Adolph................Good thing I am not much of a talker, Just get Ronws talking and kick back.

Not a problem. The two briskets I still have in the chest freezer are over 14 lbs. Even after I trim off some of the fat, it is still around 14 pounds. You could feed a regular squad or a SEAL team in training.

I thaw them in a fridge, like you would a turkey. Basic formula is 5 hours for each pound. So, I count backwards from the day I plan to smoke and add a day because I like to put the seasoning rub on the meat the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. That way, the following morning, I can wake up about 6, start a fire, throw the meat on, just that easy. I smoke it no less than 12 hours, starting with high heat to sear the outer layer of the meat, which keeps the juices in.

You know, as a singer, I am a pretty good barbecue chef .....

• Administrator
On June 25, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Jeremy Mohler said:

Hahahah man you are crazy.  All this talk of Greyhound buses and road trips is unnecessary.  Surely an event that included two TMV moderators would justify the use of the official Modern Vocalist Private Jet.  We'll just have Adolph leave us the keys for the weekend. :D We can all get together and back home in under 12 hours.  

I'd gladly loan the keys to the TMV private jet, but Robert has them at the moment. But who's going to pilot it ? While I have experience flying single engine planes, I've never piloted a jet. But I'd certainly try ! :4:

Hey, it just occurred to me that Robert and I weren't invited.....

:QuestionFox:

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

• Administrator
15 hours ago, MDEW said:

I see that BZean liked these posts. I vote we invite him also. And Adolph................Good thing I am not much of a talker, Just get Ronws talking and kick back.

MDEW, I'd be willing to bet that ronws and myself would get you talking :D

Speaking of "kicking back", why don't we hire someone else to do the cooking so we can ALL enjoy ourselves ? Sure, Ron is a good cook just as I am, but why work ???

Adolph C. Namlik
Western N.Y.

716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Adolph Namlik said:

I'd gladly loan the keys to the TMV private jet, but Robert has them at the moment. But who's going to pilot it ? While I have experience flying single engine planes, I've never piloted a jet. But I'd certainly try ! :4:

Hey, it just occurred to me that Robert and I weren't invited.....

:QuestionFox:

I am afraid we will need more Review My Singing clients to swing that.

I have a computer program that qualifies as "Air Time" for grounded Pilots. If you give me the Type and model of Jet I can practice and be ready in a week or two.  I already have half of a successful flight logged. Hard landing.........( I did hurt my thumb when I fell off my chair. :blush:)

• Administrator
21 hours ago, Robert Lunte said:

I am afraid we will need more Review My Singing clients to swing that.

I totally agree !

And it would be nice to see more of our members purchase a membership plan. After all, IMO, our fees are very reasonable.

http://www.themodernvocalistworld.com/store/category/2-membership-plans/

With that said, I'd like to sincerely thank our members who have purchased a plan and those who have renewed !!!

Adolph C. Namlik
Western N.Y.

716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

And I think between us three guitar pickers, we ought to figure out "Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffet.

"Blew out my flip-flop. stepped on a flower pot. Cut my heel, had to cruise on back home.

But there's booze in the blender and soon it will render that frozen concoction that helps me hang on."

Old men in Tanktops..........Cruising the gift shops.........Watchin' chiquitas down by the shore......................

"Don't know the reason, stayed here all season.

Nothing to show but this brand new tattoo.

But it's a real beauty, a mexican cutey.

How it got here I haven't a clue ..."

I wish I would have come up with the idea to make a living by lounging on the beach and singing party songs. There must be a downside to it somewhere. Can you really get tired of looking at beautiful women in bikinis on the beach? It would be a bummer if something like that got old and boring.

12 hours ago, MDEW said:

I wish I would have come up with the idea to make a living by lounging on the beach and singing party songs. There must be a downside to it somewhere. Can you really get tired of looking at beautiful women in bikinis on the beach? It would be a bummer if something like that got old and boring.

The same problem as any other entertainer. Travelling all of the time and living out of a suitcase and you don't have as much time for the beach, at least if you are going to make money. And these days, with less income from recordings, live shows are what is left for making money. Your family grows up while you are on the road.