• TMV World Member

A week into The Four Pillars and after my first lesson with Robert, I thought I'd post a little update song. 

I'm having a bit of trouble with my headphone/recording - I think there's a bit of delay getting through to the headphones so I feel like often I'm 1/8th of a beat late - please let me know if you hear that too and if you know how to fix it! Any other comments are also welcome! It got yanked from soundcloud because of the backing track, so I'll have to figure that one out.

Without further ado, me with Back to Black:

http://picosong.com/xC4h/

And the original, in case you haven't heard it:

• Administrator

Hi Bevin,...

Listened to your recording...

Its ok in terms of mix / production.

Yes, if you have to much delay in your "monitors" / headphones, it can mess up your timing so you simply make sure that;

- You turn it down.

- Your delay is repeating according to the beat and a subdivision of it, according to your song... YOU DON"T set delay at any repeat speed... because it has a rhythmic element to it, you have to set delay to timing that synchs with your song... typically quarter notes or 8ths.

This song seems to have 124 BPM, approximately... so make sure you're delay is set to 124  BPM if you are using quitter notes or 248 if your setting to 8ths.

To play it save, turn delay off all together and just give yourself a simple reverb.

What recording software are you using?  Some plugins / effects automatically recognize your tempo and do it for you.

• TMV World Member

I'm just using Garageband, since the recording parts are a little new to me (usually I have a sound guy) :) I may dip my toes into the water of something else because the delay is a bit frustrating.

You're saying turn down the sound in my earphones? Or sing with the backing track turned down without the earphones.

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Bevin, Your voice sounds pretty good. Some of the recording software has a slight delay in playback when using headphones. It has something to do with latency that can be dealt with but I do not know enough about it to help.

I hope to hear more from you. Good choice in picking "Four Pillars" to work with.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

• TMV World Legacy Member

I used Audacity before, which has horrendous latency. And so, I would record with the music panned hard right, left phone off, and sing with the room.

Now, I have an interface with zero latency live monitor but I still tend to leave one headphone can off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • TMV World Member

you have good compression, flow and placement when impersonating Amy Winehouse, I could hear your voice pull into vocal fry on 'me and my head held high' on 'and'.  Do more impersonations and cover more songs and your voice will continue to get better.