• TMV World Member

This is a good rendition.  I liked the breathy tones,  I like the way starting at 1:01 you sang 'this is the end' and 'do I owe them'.  Also I like the way you sang the O vowel in stolen.   In terms of what you could improve I wonder if you could hit the high notes with even deeper undertones or maybe riff it up some, you're really good at sustaining the big 'fall' and making it sound striking and powerful but it could also wobble some in terms of vibrato.  But it's all up to you it has to do with your creative expression, personally my creative expression is better when I'm just singing for fun and not for recordings.  I think it's easy to get caught up in trying to make it sound good rather than being artistic.

• Administrator

Elise,

You have gone from adorable to beautiful... our Elise is growing up!!

Review:

- Like I told you before, learn how to make real recordings Elise and then synch it to cool video with this application www.dreamsynch.com. I just produced this video with one of my students with a real recording, iphone video and this synch software... although this live ambience is "ok"... but for all the work your doing, you should get a better production. 

- Elise your onsets and scooping form the bottom up... at your level, you really need to sing your onsets straight in and not scoop anymore. Bottom up scoop then tune "scoop 'n' tune".. a real beginner thing.. stop doing that. Get tighter on your intonation.. tough love coach!

- Great vowels on "fall" and crum-"bles"... but the "all" on altogether needs work doesn't it. You shouldn't have TA disengagement there... you need to belt that note. The way your going to build the strength for belting that note and not going windy flutey with it, is to train some glottal attacks with narrowing. I have workouts in The Four Pillars of Singing that can build that strength. What is your current coach doing to help you build strength to sing that note?

... this song needs work... you need to strengthen your belts Elise... 

• TMV World Legacy Member

Sounding very good indeed. You pitch is getting better than ever. I hear the scooping that Robert mentions and I believe you are capable of hitting the notes straight on if you want to although to me I think it may be a stylistic choice. I didn't distract me at all from your beautiful tone. That being said, Robert has a point that you should be capable of not scooping and maybe mix it up to include some non-scooped onsets as well. When I started singing I was only singing heavy music and developed all kinds of vocal tics associated with that kind of singing and had to practice properly to get away from it so I could sing other kinds of songs. The point I am making is its good to have a starting position like a Tennis player so that every move you make is from that base position which is strong onsets etc and keep that always going in practice to reinforce that good technique etc so that you have as much freedom to color your stylistic choices as much as you want but always have starting position so all your singing choices are made for the song you are singing and not just the only way you can sing. Of course almost all great singers have stylistic traits from Elton John, to Chris Cornell lol  Also, Robert is correct you have really grown up right in front of our eyes and ears on this forum :) Also, you really need to record some videos like Robert suggested. You are a beautiful and gifted singer and with the right platform you could be a social media darling.

• TMV World Legacy Member

I thought you sounded really good Ellise! I know that falsetto is (or should be) a stylistic choice in singing, and I have no idea if that was how you approached it in the "all", but if I may humbly suggest you to variate the way you sing that part. Maybe you use the falsetto in the beginning to show vulnerability, and belt it right before the solo or bridge, and belt it again when you come back from the pause, increasing the power and drama in the song/performance. Keep them coming