• TMV World Member

Opinions? Thoughts? suggestions?  I dropped something on the first line but didn't feel like rerecording cause I had already done a couple takes.  I think I'm starting to get what Ronws means by stop speaking and start singing however ambiguous that may seem.

• TMV World Member
3 hours ago, Robert Lunte said:

Collin, you need to work on intonation. 

Clean up the intonation and tight up the cues and this will be cool.

Basic musicianship here... pitch and rhythm... or tightening up the cues.

By intonation you're referring to the resonance shifting in those trouble spots?  It sounds like the character voice I'm using changes

• Administrator

And sharp.

Most of the time for most people... pitch issues are mostly due to a lack of attention or focus on it. There is a subconscious misunderstanding that "close is close enough"... when it comes to what we call "the constant" in TVS,... there is no "close enough" with frequency. Frequency HAS to be on. It is either 100% on or a 100% off... no exceptions, no creative license like other elements of music.

Wake up, pay more attention.

Working on your parts slowly with a keyboard... one note at a time for just a few minutes is often all it takes.

• TMV World Member
7 hours ago, Robert Lunte said:

And sharp.

Most of the time for most people... pitch issues are mostly due to a lack of attention or focus on it. There is a subconscious misunderstanding that "close is close enough"... when it comes to what we call "the constant" in TVS,... there is no "close enough" with frequency. Frequency HAS to be on. It is either 100% on or a 100% off... no exceptions, no creative license like other elements of music.

Wake up, pay more attention.

Working on your parts slowly with a keyboard... one note at a time for just a few minutes is often all it takes.

I couldn't even tell I was drifting sharp, I'm working now on paying closer attention to pitch and I think it'll pay off in due time.  Also rhythm does tend to be a problem for me but I think it stems from nervousness and false anticipation. 

• TMV World Legacy Member

Actually, Collin, I think you are getting what I was talking about, with this. You have a better flow in this. Granted, it is more of a speaky kind of song with a dense pack of lyrics but I think you sang this, instead of speaking it.

Hi Collin. Your voice sounds pretty good. I have found that confidence and some sort of emotional connection to the song helps. What I mean by that is, read the words and find out what sort of message it is supposed to present and present it with the emotion intended. Usually when expressing a strong emotion you feel the energy of the emotion even if the volume is quiet there is a force behind it.

"For all the times that you rain on my parade
And all the clubs you get in using my name
You think you broke my heart, oh, girl for goodness' sake
You think I'm crying on my own. Well, I ain't

And I didn't wanna write a song
'Cause I didn't want anyone thinking I still care. I don't,
But you still hit my phone up
And, baby, I be movin' on
And I think you should be somethin' I don't wanna hold back,
Maybe you should know that"

There is a lot of pent up emotion in this........ It seems this girl is using you and you know it.
It gets kind of frustrating in that kind of situation........ Even if you don't get loud, there is usually an energy that you are trying to hold back so you don't get to loud. In a situation like this you would be Pissed off and holding yourself back from yelling..........Use that energy....... it will come through in the song and maybe even ground you for pitch stability also.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Yo man pick yourself up a cheap keyboard on Ebay for 50 - 100 bucks and just run your voice up and down those notes.  You don't have to learn professional piano, but as an exercise tool for intonation the benefits are too vast to ignore.  And yeah I know you can get some keyboard app on your phone but having a tangible musical instrument to touch and feel is way cooler.  :bang:

Good luck man and nice work so far. :)  

cPOh14H.png

• TMV World Member
25 minutes ago, ronws said:

Actually, Collin, I think you are getting what I was talking about, with this. You have a better flow in this. Granted, it is more of a speaky kind of song with a dense pack of lyrics but I think you sang this, instead of speaking it.

haha I'm elated to hear you say that, or read you type that or whatever!  I realized what you were saying was mostly about about being an artist and having fun with it.

• TMV World Member
19 minutes ago, MDEW said:

Hi Collin. Your voice sounds pretty good. I have found that confidence and some sort of emotional connection to the song helps. What I mean by that is, read the words and find out what sort of message it is supposed to present and present it with the emotion intended. Usually when expressing a strong emotion you feel the energy of the emotion even if the volume is quiet there is a force behind it.

"For all the times that you rain on my parade
And all the clubs you get in using my name
You think you broke my heart, oh, girl for goodness' sake
You think I'm crying on my own. Well, I ain't

And I didn't wanna write a song
'Cause I didn't want anyone thinking I still care. I don't,
But you still hit my phone up
And, baby, I be movin' on
And I think you should be somethin' I don't wanna hold back,
Maybe you should know that"

There is a lot of pent up emotion in this........ It seems this girl is using you and you know it.
It gets kind of frustrating in that kind of situation........ Even if you don't get loud, there is usually an energy that you are trying to hold back so you don't get to loud. In a situation like this you would be Pissed off and holding yourself back from yelling..........Use that energy....... it will come through in the song and maybe even ground you for pitch stability also.

I have been trying to feel the emotion in a song when singing it as well as blending that with creative vocal technique.  Before I was trying to use very little effort and trying to sang in ways I had previously. 

I seriously love that suggestion though I hadn't thought about using that situation to express the quietness and low but at the same time high energy in the song.

• TMV World Member
19 minutes ago, Jeremy Mohler said:

Yo man pick yourself up a cheap keyboard on Ebay for 50 - 100 bucks and just run your voice up and down those notes.  You don't have to learn professional piano, but as an exercise tool for intonation the benefits are too vast to ignore.  And yeah I know you can get some keyboard app on your phone but having a tangible musical instrument to touch and feel is way cooler.  :bang:

Good luck man and nice work so far. :)  

I have an alesis vi61, I can play but I can't sight read super well.  And thanks Bruddah!

8 minutes ago, Collin571 said:

I have been trying to feel the emotion in a song when singing it as well as blending that with creative vocal technique.  Before I was trying to use very little effort and trying to sang in ways I had previously. 

I seriously love that suggestion though I hadn't thought about using that situation to express the quietness and low but at the same time high energy in the song.

If you have ever been in a situation where you were pissed off but had to be quiet and calm you will understand.

That is why I always suggest to read the lyrics and find out what the song is really about. Put yourself in that situation. Tell the story with the emotions. It is easier to remember the lyrics that way also. Dynamics are easier to control. Each verse or phrase May have it's own underlying emotion to it.

• TMV World Member
5 minutes ago, MDEW said:

If you have ever been in a situation where you were pissed off but had to be quiet and calm you will understand.

That is why I always suggest to read the lyrics and find out what the song is really about. Put yourself in that situation. Tell the story with the emotions. It is easier to remember the lyrics that way also. Dynamics are easier to control. Each verse or phrase May have it's own underlying emotion to it.

you're definitely onto something about it making the lyrics easier to remember.  Another thing I would add is that sometimes imagery in your head also helps, replaying memories or imagining stories while singing is a great way to infuse emotion in the song.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Collin571 said:

I think it'll pay off in due time

... do you think?

6 hours ago, Collin571 said:

Also rhythm does tend to be a problem

In regards to rhythm... here is the best firkin advise I can give you... listen up.

Stop counting music in quarter note tempo / meter... and start counting all music into 8ths.  "1&2&3&4&..."   Add the "&"... Without 8th notes, you have no syncopation and without syncopation, you have NO GROOVE!  Students that count only in quarter notes, have shitty rhythm and cues. Students that learn to sub-divide into 8ths and accent the syncopated, upbeat 8th, begin to get their rhythm tight and groove on... try it... you'll see... great rhythm starts by... locking in upbeat 8ths.

• TMV World Member
19 hours ago, Robert Lunte said:

... do you think?

In regards to rhythm... here is the best firkin advise I can give you... listen up.

Stop counting music in quarter note tempo / meter... and start counting all music into 8ths.  "1&2&3&4&..."   Add the "&"... Without 8th notes, you have no syncopation and without syncopation, you have NO GROOVE!  Students that count only in quarter notes, have shitty rhythm and cues. Students that learn to sub-divide into 8ths and accent the syncopated, upbeat 8th, begin to get their rhythm tight and groove on... try it... you'll see... great rhythm starts by... locking in upbeat 8ths.

do you also listen to music in a more syncopated manner or is it just when engaging in and performing that a closer attention and faster syncopation should be utilized?

12 hours ago, Collin571 said:

do you also listen to music in a more syncopated manner or is it just when engaging in and performing that a closer attention and faster syncopation should be utilized?

Dance. Or if you prefer Sway with the music. On most Normal Rock,country and Jazz songs Follow the drummer and Bass guitar. I do not know what to tell you if you listen those groups with the Machine Gun  Drummers............They kill  any rhythm.     1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and......or 1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4 and a ........Bass drum, Hihat, snare Hihat, Bass drum, Hihat, snare, Hihat.......................