One of my original songs

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi guys, I haven't been on the forum in quite a while. I have been busy working and also super busy with my various bands and projects. This is from my band Tair. Normally in this group I play guitar and sing harmony and some lead vox not unlike Jerry Cantrell. We do mainly rock in the vein of Foo Fighters and Alice in Chains type material but this song I wrote just didn't really fit into our normal material so I just finished it on my own because I hate to leave ideas unfinished lol. Anyways, I have mainly recorded cover songs for review on the forum but I have never posted my original material so I thought I would see what you think?

• Administrator

Your Review:

- Super cool punchy guitar... very Alice In Chains - ish in my first impression... I also hear you yarling, tongue retractions to make the vowels more soulful.

- Perhaps the onsets on the high / m2 chorus could be a bit more straight in and less scooping in... but I am hard press to complain too much. It is pretty bad ass. Like it a lot.

- 2:03 - 2:08 ... I liked the onsets and execution here on this part... very tight.

- The B4 on the chorus has a great tone. Good resonance and vowel.

- The vocals seem a bit buried in the mix... could get it a big hotter...

Overall, this is great. GREAT WORK BROTHER!... ITS REALLY COOL.

Thank you for the feedback Robert. I have pretty much posted only cover tunes before but the work of all singers is to ultimately put your own original spin on all of our influences etc into new original music. It is sometimes difficult for even good singers to write good vocal melodies and performances on original material. When you are doing cover work all the basic decision making has been kind of done already, but on your own tunes its a blank slate to decide how you want to come across etc. I am glad you liked the work I have done here :). I won't be absent from the forum this long again its been hella crazy for me the last few months lol.

Thank you Ellise :4: I have a few originals that would be cool to hear you sing on. They are a bit Foo Fighter-ish but a female vocal could be very interesting on them. I think it would turn out more like Pink or Kelly Clarkson with a female voice.

Hi Musikman, no doubt you are very talented musician and singer, and the other musicians seem to be very skilled too. I thought the song was really tight and punchy, had a great energy, and the vocals were amazing. But to me it sounded almost like a medley of 3-4 different songs because of all the changes in the beat. It is just a personal taste thing, and it is probably due to me being relatively narrow minded regarding other rock styles and bands, but I felt those changes sounded a bit awkward. Keep rocking, man!:bang:

Thanks Gneetapp. That was what I meant about the song being a bit strange lol. Most of my other straight rock material stays very focused and flowing. This one was just strange and at the same time I liked it enough to just want to finish it lol. I write a lot of Fates Warning type prog music as well but still try to keep things transitioning smooth as much as I can. Thanks again for the feedback.

I really liked "Worn" specifically because of the time changes. That is way harder to nail than a 4 on the 4 boom-chuck at 160 bpm. Definitely an AIC vibe there with a voice that went from Weiland to Staley to something new and fresh.

"Understanding" is awesome and is a radio hit with very much a Foo Fighters feel, but with a clearer and more intelligible voice. I love Dave Grohl but his growl can get so thick.

Thank you so much ronws! I really do appreciate the feedback. I spend so much time writing music in a vacuum and its great to get input from other people on what they think. That being said, I know all art is subjective and what I write may not be right for everyone but I am always eager to find out what other people hear in my music. I am also glad you enjoyed "Understanding" it is very Foo Fighters. I have always liked that band and have been surprised that as big as they have been that you never have heard very many if any bands doing anything similar. When Pearl Jam hit, everybody had that vocal sound etc but Foos and STP and even Soundgarden were bands that you didn't really hear the copycat bands or even influence as much as Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam......just an observation lol.

I have enjoyed everything by FF and "Monkey Wrench" is probably my favorite. And I have followed Dave's career, including his touring as the drummer for Queens of the Stone Age, another awesome and underrated band. I saw a recent vid where Dave showed how they recorded their latest album direct through a mixing board to 2 inch tape. Talk about committment. You have to get it right the first time. And he had the instruments and mics set up literally in the garage. Old school, low tech, and totally rocking.