A song that everyone knows. :) It's a bit out of my range at parts but still fun and manageable enough considering the relative low passages throughout most of the song.  I suppose it's stuff like this I should be posting as it demonstrates my singing in a range where I'm learning to improve on.. any advice or criticisms are appreciated. :)  

http://picosong.com/t56V/

*the volume is pretty loud so keep your speakers down, or it may blast you lol

cPOh14H.png

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi, Jeremy. I enjoyed this version. Its nice to see, you are posting songs in areas in which you are working to improve. I have found it just as hard to master the lower end of my range and more conversational type singing such as this as it is to hit soaring high note type things. I heard a few pitchy notes but nothing that was too far from the melody etc. I would keep exploring this side to your voice and focus on pitch, which I know is tough on the lower notes of the range but just keep trying to bring as much clarity and brightness to the lower notes don't worry about moving lots of air with them. Great effort.

Great job Jeremy! I think your timbre really suits this song. I have to agree with Musikman regarding some slightly off pitch areas, but overall it sounded good. It is a fun song to sing. I believe that if you work a bit more focusing on the pitch and resonance in the high parts, you should add this one to your set list. Keep them coming!

I really enjoyed it and it is the right song for your voice. What I noticed is that background vocals are off in the chorus on the phrase "don't want to hurt no one." The lead vocal is on the right path, the BV strays a smidge. I have a feeling that you actually tracked BV separately, rather than dupe and change mix. Thing I learned, make the consonants soft to non-existant on BV so they do not compete with the lead line.

Great mix and recording. Definitely keep this in your set list. If you ever show up at my house for brisket, you will have to sing this song. And I will sing the BV.

Awesome song that feels like I have lived it.

Now for useless trivia. Steve Miller is from the Dallas, Texas area. He is a stickler for sound quality and so he does not play live venues very much.

Nearly every interview, someone has asked him "what is 'the pompatus of live'?" His reply is, "I have no idea. It was a phrase that fit the beat for that part of the song and I could not think of a lyric that meant anything."

Haha, at the moment I sorta feel like the man behind the curtain at the end of Wizard of Oz because there is a lot of editing I did to make this sound somewhat decent.

It's not a true blue straight vocal because rather than just singing through the song one track as I usually do I spliced the track and overdubbed all of the harder sections such as "Oowee baby I sure show you good time", "SOME PEOPLE call me Maurice.", and "Well don't you worry baby don't worry" post production 

Also the backing vocal for the chorus is not me, it came with the particular karaoke track I downloaded which I will link for you guys here so you can see what I was working with: http://picosong.com/tgJt/

So yeah, there was some trickery involved but at least I come clean with details. :) 

Thanks for listening guys. 

*also ronws it would seem that our brisket party set-list is growing all the time hahaha..

cPOh14H.png

Ahh yeah Rons, more specifically I wanted to address your critique when you noticed this: 

What I noticed is that background vocals are off in the chorus on the phrase "don't want to hurt no one." The lead vocal is on the right path, the BV strays a smidge

What happened was the karaoke track came with set backing vocal for those chorus harmonies and I went through first take and sang the right lyrics and the backing vocals sang the wrong ones.  I just said f@(% it and kept going because I was feeling good about that take haha.  The end result is a bit awkward and I was hoping some people would catch it for a laugh haha.

cPOh14H.png

19 hours ago, Jeremy Mohler said:

Yeah it was a bit whack, I was disappointed that they couldn't get the vocals right in the backing xD.  Next time I'm just going to play the music on the acoustic myself and have you record the backing vocals for me! :D 

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. Let me know when.

• Administrator

Jeremy,

Cool choice for a cover.

Your Review:

- Its cool. I like it. You have a lot of personality and cheekiness to your singing, which is super cool. You seemed to wear this song well. Might be one of the best interpretations I've heard, I had a lot of fun listening to you sing this. Your a good singer.

- Could use some refinement in the production; compression and perhaps a touch more ambiance or delay on the vocals.

- 2:54 - 3:05 - (*auto edit*) COOL!

- The back ups are a bit scattered, you could afford to tighten them up.

Overall, considering the playfulness of this song, I am hard pressed to find much wrong with it Jeremy. It is 85% super cool. Nice Job!