Cover of Drift and Die by Puddle of Mudd

• Review My Singing Membership

So, I think I'm decent enough now to post a little something. This was one of the first songs I learned to sing and play guitar for, so I think it would be appropriate to post this. Not too hard of a song, but it gives me nice long sustained notes to lock in proper resonance, which I think i accomplished. Without further ado, here it is:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ph1hS02VcS

Enjoy :)

• TMV World Legacy Member

As I know you just started training with The Four Pillars, I think you did a good job, man. I am not sure if you recorded everything in one take (I'm assuming you did), but as a fellow guitar player I would like to humbly suggest you to use backing tracks, or record the guitar in one take, and then record vocals in another track. This way you can focus 100% in your singing. It helps tremendously when students start practicing or recording songs. I don't consider myself a beginner in singing, but I notice a big difference when I do it. Although I'm getting better at coordinating both activities, at least in some songs. Also, if I may suggest you not to mimic the original singer's lack of enunciation. I found it very hard to understand the lyrics, so I listened to the original, and realized that it is not your fault. Nevertheless, way to go. Keep on Rocking! :bang:

1 hour ago, Gneetapp said:

As I know you just started training with The Four Pillars, I think you did a good job, man. I am not sure if you recorded everything in one take (I'm assuming you did), but as a fellow guitar player I would like to humbly suggest you to use backing tracks, or record the guitar in one take, and then record vocals in another track. This way you can focus 100% in your singing. It helps tremendously when students start practicing or recording songs. I don't consider myself a beginner in singing, but I notice a big difference when I do it. Although I'm getting better at coordinating both activities, at least in some songs. Also, if I may suggest you not to mimic the original singer's lack of enunciation. I found it very hard to understand the lyrics, so I listened to the original, and realized that it is not your fault. Nevertheless, way to go. Keep on Rocking! :bang:

Thanks a lot for your comments, Gneetapp.. I've made it a habit, perhaps from a holistic perspective, to practice songs with guitar and singing simultaneously. I can most definitely see how practicing singing the song alone is beneficial. Lastly, I was trying to mimic the style of the original song, hence the indecipherable lyrics. I'll try to correct that next time. 

• TMV World Legacy Member

I agree with Gnee. And I, like you, Muffin, tend to play guitar and sing at the same time because it is what I have done since 1974, when I started learning guitar (teaching myself.) But Gnee is right, you will get better recording quality if you record the tracks separate. Also, it sounds like the G or D string is out of tune. Something mid-rangy.

Also, I liked how you sounded on the high notes. You handled those better than I expected, considering you are a beginner. Though you have certainly been working on it.

And this song is definitely in your wheel house, But I agree with Gnee, clean up your articulation and really make the song yours.

12 minutes ago, ronws said:

I agree with Gnee. And I, like you, Muffin, tend to play guitar and sing at the same time because it is what I have done since 1974, when I started learning guitar (teaching myself.) But Gnee is right, you will get better recording quality if you record the tracks separate. Also, it sounds like the G or D string is out of tune. Something mid-rangy.

Also, I liked how you sounded on the high notes. You handled those better than I expected, considering you are a beginner. Though you have certainly been working on it.

And this song is definitely in your wheel house, But I agree with Gnee, clean up your articulation and really make the song yours.

Thanks; while I am undoubtedly a beginner, I will say that I have been singing for about 5 years (with no technique or practice). In effect, I sounded like shit before I got the program and put in many hours of practice. In fact, I think that since I got the program, I've logged around 150 hours of practice. I think it shows. There is still much more I have to develop, but I've done pretty well for myself.