Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2 cats in a dust bin

Lift up, Pull Back & Track & Release (Four Pillars) 

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum (as I am sure it is) but I am sure there is a correct forum for Robert Lunte's Four Pillars. Its just that I can't find it. So I am sure the mods will move this in due course

I got "The Four Pillars last week and have just started on it but I am not sure I have started in the right place
I started from the what looks like the beginning until I ran into some stuff that is a bit more advanced
Well I stated with opening up my courses, then modules, then prepare for your TVS training, then I got to the dropdown of "the four pillars of singing download work out files" 
And I downloaded and have been playing the first 2 sets.

First set was lift up pull back. And I think I am supposed to sing from one octane to the next one up then go into my head voice
So hear is a link to me trying to copy the video :
https://app.box.com/s/vckhva09yqffwz91fjebe77cqrnk4672

And the second set of Track and release. Well I just can not do it! doing hum hum hung, it just turns into a nasty hummy exercise that leaves me breathless

Hey, 

You're going to want to start with the "foundation building routine" and then progress from there. You can do other exercises with it as well, but it's imperative that you master that part. Also, you can create your own 4 pillars progress thread (it's under the "vocal training programs" section of the forum. I have a thread there right now, so you can try to find mine to make sure you're in the right place. 

The 4pillars is pretty big. Take some time and look at some of the explanation vids etc. There are explanations and demonstrations of lift up and pull back.

The point of lift up/pull back is to help get you to "bridge". Bridge essentially means go from chest voice up to headvoice etc. In your example file you are not bridging. You are going up with chest voice to about g#4 and getting stuck there.

Basically you need to learn to access your headvoice. it can be tricky at first etc. You need to sort of learn to get the vibration (resonance) out of the throat and more up onto the roof of the mouth (hard and soft palate etc)

Do you have a keyboard? if not, here is a cool on online that tells you what notes you are hitting http://piano-player.info/

What happens if you try to hit a note around, say, B4?   A lot of people start off with chest voice and then they jump up to falsetto when they try to hit higher notes. Falsetto isnt really a true headvoice but its what most of us start with until we learn to vibrate the sound off the roof of our mouth or at least somewhere above the throat itself

2 people like this

9 minutes ago, JonJon said:

The 4pillars is pretty big. Take some time and look at some of the explanation vids etc. There are explanations and demonstrations of lift up and pull back.

The point of lift up/pull back is to help get you to "bridge". Bridge essentially means go from chest voice up to headvoice etc. In your example file you are not bridging. You are going up with chest voice to about g#4 and getting stuck there.

Basically you need to learn to access your headvoice. it can be tricky at first etc. You need to sort of learn to get the vibration (resonance) out of the throat and more up onto the roof of the mouth (hard and soft palate etc)

Do you have a keyboard? if not, here is a cool on online that tells you what notes you are hitting http://piano-player.info/

What happens if you try to hit a note around, say, B4?   A lot of people start off with chest voice and then they jump up to falsetto when they try to hit higher notes. Falsetto isnt really a true headvoice but its what most of us start with until we learn to vibrate the sound off the roof of our mouth or at least somewhere above the throat itself

Jonjon, that doesn't really sound like chest voice to me, more like a compressed falsetto. Also, I'm impressed there is no noticeable break from his chest to falsetto

well yeah, its not really heavy at all. I dont think there is a break because he isnt getting into the break. He is stopping at like g#4. Hitting a brick wall at G#4ish

"compressed falsetto" is an oxymoron I think lol. If its compressed (vocal fold closure) then its not really falsetto.

Sounds like he does have some closure going on as the note ascends.

25 minutes ago, JonJon said:

well yeah, its not really heavy at all. I dont think there is a break because he isnt getting into the break. He is stopping at like g#4. Hitting a brick wall at G#4ish

"compressed falsetto" is an oxymoron I think lol. If its compressed (vocal fold closure) then its not really falsetto.

Sounds like he does have some closure going on as the note ascends.

There should be a break at the first passaggio. I'm speaking from my own experience; when I started out, I struggled greatly with anything above D4. By F4 I was straining. By G#4 I was screaming. I don't hear that in the recording, so good on you 2 cats. As for the "compressed falsetto," you're right. What I meant to say was I heard a more compressed falsetto, one that doesn't sound airy, Point is, I'm rather impressed hearing this from a person just starting out.

1 minute ago, muffinhead said:

There should be a break at the first passaggio. I'm speaking from my own experience; when I started out, I struggled greatly with anything above D4. By F4 I was straining. By G#4 I was screaming. I don't hear that in the recording, so good on you 2 cats. As for the "compressed falsetto," you're right. What I meant to say was I heard a more compressed falsetto, one that doesn't sound airy, Point is, I'm rather impressed hearing this from a person just starting out.

I dont remember exactly where I "broke" at. But it wasnt at D4....more up around where he is I think, or maybe f4ish. Of course I wasnt stopping when it got tight lol, I just kept pushing hard until I choked out. Thats the nature of the beast

I dont think he is going thru a passagio there. Sounds like he is onsetting sort of lightly around G3 and going up about an octave. The fact that it is so light might be affecting the break though. if he onsetted a bit heavier it might make the break point more noticable

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, JonJon said:

I dont remember exactly where I "broke" at. But it wasnt at D4....more up around where he is I think, or maybe f4ish. Of course I wasnt stopping when it got tight lol, I just kept pushing hard until I choked out. Thats the nature of the beast

I dont think he is going thru a passagio there. Sounds like he is onsetting sort of lightly around G3 and going up about an octave. The fact that it is so light might be affecting the break though. if he onsetted a bit heavier it might make the break point more noticable

It seems to me that there are 2 types of beginner male singers regarding head voice: those who resort to a strained, pushy, shouty belt-like phonation, and those who resort to a near-falsetto or falsetto phonation. I was definitely the first, and it seems like you were too. 

oh yeah, no way I was not going to push hard and see what happened lol. That being said I already had sang high falsetto stuff for years too. I just needed to learn actual headvoice and I was off to the races

1 person likes this

Just listened to your sample, not bad. I don't know 4pillars but aren't you supposed to keep an "ee" vowel all the way through the exercise? The vowel is distorting on the top note.

11 hours ago, muffinhead said:

It seems to me that there are 2 types of beginner male singers regarding head voice: those who resort to a strained, pushy, shouty belt-like phonation, and those who resort to a near-falsetto or falsetto phonation. I was definitely the first, and it seems like you were too. 

I was the first type too bro! lol

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, muffinhead said:

Hey, 

You're going to want to start with the "foundation building routine" and then progress from there

I had another look but can not seam to find it

57 minutes ago, 2 cats in a dust bin said:

I had another look but can not seam to find it

Shoot Robert an email, he's always eager to help guide you through the program. When I started out with 4 pillars, I was at a loss as to what to start with, so I can't blame you.