Is it mix voice / full voice?

• Review My Singing Membership

This is for my other technique post e.g. asking if this example is mix voice. Please don't critique unless you are looking to answer the question. I tried to keep the high notes from 'releasing', because I think that a rounded mix represents how it would work with legato, where as a released sounding mix may not work in legato phrasing. Sound-clip is amplified to 0db by default.

https://soundcloud.com/eisacurry/mix-test/s-DhlV8

• TMV World Legacy Member

You are singing Y-ah-ee like Y-eye- ee.  Do not do that. use something like M-eh do not add ee to the end of it.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Short answer, yes. And I don' think it matters too much the word, though obviously, for any person, one vowel or another is going to be more stable, especially when beginning. But yes, you were mixing voice and even the high note, which some might consider head voice can still sound a little mixed and that is okay. In the end, does it sound good for the song, regardless of how people want to describe it?

16 hours ago, EisaCurry said:

My voice was pretty tight that day. I tried singing nasally today and my mix really opened up.

Isn't it funny how something that may seem counterintuitive is the solution, at least to a problem at the time? Just like using some nasalance or resonance in the nasal cavity actually can lead to a less "nasal" tone, even if you are feeling just about all of it there.