Recording my singing and playing it back

Rate this topic

2 cats in a dust bin

So somewhere I have been told we should all record our sing and play it back to our selfs to see where we need improvement.
The quality of my recorder on my phone is poor; I know this as when I record the online piano onto it you can not hear the notes properly.
This is the same with the inbuilt recorder in my laptop but not the same with my external mike; that records the piano notes OK I suppose and that is what I have been using to record myself via Reaper and uploaded previously in the review my singing section of this forum.

But Using reper is not just a case of press record then stop then play then rewind then rerecord and so on
I want something ever so simple that I can use while driving and with a decent enough recorder and at minimal cost

Any ideas please

The acoustics in your car are terrible it's hard to hear yourself.  Invest in a decent mic when you can afford it and start recording,  you can make alot of progress and changes to your voice that way but without training or a teacher you'll have problems with vocal fatigue and encounter obstacles that are difficult to overcome.  I personally came a long way with my tone just by recording myself but still have problems with support, intonation and consistency.

Hi Collin
Nice to see your back on hear again
You say Invest in a decent mic; but what would you run this from and how much money did you have in mind and of what kind of room as apposed to a car would you record from?

VideoHear
Is this the kind of thing you meant?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/Bush+Cassette+Player+and+Recorder+.htm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GROOV-E-RETRO-PERSONAL-CASSETTE-PLAYER-AND-RECORDER-WITH-EARPHONES-SILVER-/361711931994?hash=item5437b6125a:g:B68AAOSwGtRXyZAb
Where did you see it for $11?

Well Ron I did not want to spend that kind of money; will the above analog do the same thing?

23 hours ago, ronws said:

If you can find it, any kind of portable cassette recorder. Those are getting rare in 2016 (aka, the 21st century.)

I had one of those portable cassette recorders when I was about 13. I recorded a load of shite on it once that is a load of silly short listed songs of Davit being a Twerp and then submitting the tape to the upper 6th form class for review; only to be sent one step up to the teachers mess hall for it to be destroyed of once and for all and never heard again.

But the machine was a good old recorder; I did not consider back then all the floors it did not have compared to a modern digital cheap device made in china shipping

As I posted before yes they still make them and as ever still a great investment

Suppose it will last longer then my phone, my laptop, my car radio, my TV or even my car

On 9/22/2016 at 7:41 PM, 2 cats in a dust bin said:

Hi Collin
Nice to see your back on hear again
You say Invest in a decent mic; but what would you run this from and how much money did you have in mind and of what kind of room as apposed to a car would you record from?

VideoHear
Is this the kind of thing you meant?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/Bush+Cassette+Player+and+Recorder+.htm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GROOV-E-RETRO-PERSONAL-CASSETTE-PLAYER-AND-RECORDER-WITH-EARPHONES-SILVER-/361711931994?hash=item5437b6125a:g:B68AAOSwGtRXyZAb
Where did you see it for $11?

Well Ron I did not want to spend that kind of money; will the above analog do the same thing?

Thanks!  Any room where you feel confident to let your voice loose.  I read somewhere once the car is not an optimal place to sing because of acoustics.  Also 200 is a good budget for a decent mic.