Together in the Heat (quicky original)

• TMV World Member

just some quick vocals I threw onto a Latvian buddys music track (from wikiloops)

I wrote the lyrics around 9pm and I couldnt keep my eyes open and I was going to just do the vox later but I decided to "just lay down a scratch vox track"...but you know how that goes. I was dead tired so this may not be my best but I still dig it even though I was struggling a bit

The vibe is a little different than my songs because essentially he never changes chords lol....gives a bit more of a stoner rock feel, which I dig

Anyone figure out the story I am paraphrasing in the song?

enjoy

https://clyp.it/gf5nc5if

okay, actually I am lying, this is just some computer generated vocals based off of a sample of my voice on an answering machine. its all fake. Even the vibrato is a vst. and i was wearing a wig

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Jon Jon,

Thanks for your patience.

- Love the guitar and chunky, fat groove... just a good, "tough" rock song... cool.

- I really like the feel and vibe you are going for here... I GET IT!

- ... you should work on getting your onsets in more straight... there is a tad too much scoop on the onsets... striking low and then tuning up to meet the pitch in a 1/10th of a second.... clean up your onsets = clean up your intonation.

- The doubling is making the it a tad difficult to hear the glottal compression... I wonder if you chose to double the vocals on here to hide something? Regardless, I would like to hear the 2nd doubled vocals pulled back more and then have the lead show more compression. It just seems like it could be brighter in the formant and that would be achieved best by adding more compression / twang on the vocal folds.

Were you to do those adjustments, YOUR cool idea here would "pop" more in my view.

Overall, super cool tune.. I like it a lot.

• TMV World Member
On 11/23/2016 at 3:40 PM, Robert Lunte said:

I wonder if you chose to double the vocals on here to hide something?

Im going to be honest here. Thats a BS comment to make.

I happen to like the sound of doubled vocals, whether they be mine or the Beatles, Beach Boys, Queens, Pink Floyds, Steely Dans, SuperTramps, ELOs, Cheap Tricks, Did they use doubled vox to hide something?

I also like to dbl the vox because its a challenge. Instead of using chorus/harmonizer etc, I do it the old fashioned way

This was just a quicky original that I wrote and sung (over another guys bed track) with about 3 hours total time invested. There are people on this site and other sites who have been "training" for years and still cant sing a lick. If all I have to suffer are small nitpicks then id say im doing quite well lol.

Peace, JJ

• Administrator
16 hours ago, JonJon said:

Thats a BS comment to make.

It is a simple question in regards to the production, not your singing. There is no need to be offended by it nor was it meant, or written to offend.

16 hours ago, JonJon said:

There are people on this site and other sites who have been "training" for years and still cant sing a lick. If all I have to suffer are small nitpicks then id say im doing quite well lol.

Huh? Anyways, your welcome?

• TMV World Member

Anyone with any sort of pride in their abilities would rightly be a little offended at a comment like that lol. It would be like saying "why did you use reverb and compression, cant u sing?" lol

Generally the word "hide" has a negative connotation

• Administrator

Your a little over sensitive. I didn't refer to your singing. It could be any number of things, including elements related to production. 

Ironically, I actually paid you numerous compliments.

In any case, your welcome. 

• TMV World Member
17 hours ago, Jeremy Mohler said:

Beastly song, nice work man. :) Can't say much more than that. Think the melody and guitars syncopated really nice together.

Like I said, I only did the vox. The drums and guitar were done by a buddy over at wikiloops.com

I joined over there like 2 years ago when i was trying to find drum tracks and trying to learn to work a modern DAW. At that time I had no intention of singing. So, as one might expect, there are 9 million guitar players for every 1 singer over there. So I started bitching about the singers not adding vox to my tracks etc etc. lol.  So its funny that I am now singing and I havent even added vox to the dozens of gtr tracks I have over there.

This song was mainly done out of a feeling of guilt because wikiloops really helped get me going again...as I hadnt recorded any music for like a decade b4 getting fired back up 2 years ago. So every once in a while I add vox to someones good gtr track since I know what it meant to me when someone added vox to some of my tracks

peace, JJ

• Administrator

Cool Jon, I like your story. Jon, is a wikiloops a place where singers can get good sounding backing tracks? Are they available to browse and download, or do you have to build one with a virtual team first?

• TMV World Member
21 minutes ago, Robert Lunte said:

Cool Jon, I like your story. Jon, is a wikiloops a place where singers can get good sounding backing tracks? Are they available to browse and download, or do you have to build one with a virtual team first?

wikiloops is music collaboration.   Its not "backing tracks" per se....in other words its not karaoke stuff.

its all original stuff. people go and upload tracks of all sorts and then anyone can add whatever they want to any track. I think there are like 90000 tracks currently. All genres and members from like 150 countries.

I went there originally to find drum tracks to start my songs with, before I ended up getting EZ Drummer software.

Whats the catch? the only catch is that there are musicians there of ALL levels...so therefore the tracks are of all levels lol.

Its a VERY friendly and positive place....too friendly in a sense because one can post up anything and people gush all over it....but thats good for people just getting started etc

here is one of the tracks from today I clicked on at random with solid girl singer https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-91137.php

If you look at it you see how it was built step by step with people adding to this original track https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-51485.php

Great place for people to practice vocals

Great site ran by a German guy named Dick.

• Administrator

Cool. 

Backing tracks don't have to be karaoke.

I asked because I was just introduced to these guys, looks super cool.

www.rocketsongs.com 

You can purchase original backing tracks... what a great potential service for singers.