My try and sounds like robert plant

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello and thanks for taking the time to look and listen, I've been told I can sound like robert plant from time to time so I decided to let you all listen and give me some feedback. I just need to know if I'm way off the mark or close and any tips would be greatly appreciated thx!

Link: http://www.box.net/shared/1s0ilppvrr

You do sound pretty close to him. Great job! Suggestions for improvement: It sounds like English is not your native tongue so you may want to work on improving your pronounciation. Cheers.

I could hear some Plant in there but I think you can get closer to his sound by lightening your voice. That is, make it a little thinner and I think you've got it. And believe it or not, don't try for an english accent. Once, I recorded it, just trying to sound like myself and someone (on another forum) accused me of sounding too much like Plant. Which is funny because I don't sound like him, even in my own judgement of myself.

I liked what you did but I don't really hear a Plant tone in your voice. I don't have it either nor no most of those who cover Zeppelin's music. I've heard only one singer ever who actually sounds so much like Robert Plant that it's ridiculous! You can hear him on youtube in the group "Virtual Zeppelin". Check him out and you'll hear what I mean.

By all means keep up the singing though and don't worry if I personally don't think you sound like Robert Plant as much as others have told you. You still did great!

"GIDDYUP!"

Try lowering your soft palate and have lots of twang to get a sound slightly more closer to Plant, IMO. Don't overdo it or you'll switch to Brian Johnsson ;) But hey, I like Brian.

Snax - yeah you're totally right about Virtual Zeppelin. It's uncanny how much he sounds like Robert. However, I think it's smarter for singer to try to cover songs with a bit more of their own voice. Case in point: Steel Panther (even if they're a joke hair metal band). Their singer has a great rock voice that is his own but it kind of fits with most if not all classic rock tunes. An example:

(Sweet child o' mine)

Thanks for the feedback all! I agree with using your "natural voice" more then trying to imitate other singer's but to tell you the truth in the clip I'm not trying to sound like him thats just what seems to come out when I'm singing anything, I thought I would see if other people thought I sounded like him or not. More specifically if any of you technique experts out there could give me some exercises or tell me what I could try to get into that high register (G-D)with more ease that would be great, again Thank You!

Again, I hear some similarities but my best advice for you is to just sound like yourself. Whether that sounds like Robert Plant, or not. Who needs another Robert Plant? We've already got one. His name is Robert Plant. 9 times out of 10, I don't give a flying flip if someone sounds like the original singer of a song, don't care if they get the same distortion or "meanness" or whatever quality. Just hit the notes in your own voice, that's all that matters.

I'm with you there ronws, I figure the more perspective i get, the better I'll be able to understand what is a better sound then what I'm dong at the moment. Like to me, my voice sound "breathy" and somewhat tensioned but it might not to someone else. I just need to understand what I'm doing right verses what I'm doing wrong to get the sound I'm getting.