Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
James Lugo

Looking for ideas for a vocal tip video series.

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Hey guys I'm going to be producing a weekly vocal tip video series starting end of January. Honestly I've never really watched any of these type of series and was wondering if there were any topics people wanted covered. If it's something I have experience with I will be happy to oblige. 

Thanks so much. 

2 people like this

Can you make one on Mark Gormley's stage techniques especially the "power stance"?

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Sexy Beast said:

Can you make one on Mark Gormley's stage techniques especially the "power stance"?

He lacks support................should be leaning against a tree.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Sexy Beast said:

You ARE being sarcastic ? Or at least, I would hope so.......

3 hours ago, MDEW said:

He lacks support................should be leaning against a tree.

He lacks a LOT more than support. I'm not sure a tree would help, either. :24:

Unfortunately James, we are living in a time that if you seriously try to inform people and help them you are ridiculed, condemned or debated and rebuked.

If a tip, exercise or technique does not have an immediate result or is meant to strengthen your voice over time, you are deemed to be just fishing for clients. If there is an immediate result then it must be harmful or a false sensation that just happens to mimic good singing. If you go over methods or exercises that have stood the test of time you are deemed as spouting outdated ideas.

I sound  more than a bit pessimistic. I guess I am. The truth is, If you sound good, you sound good, no matter whether you are using a good technique or not. If you sound bad, you sound bad, good technique or not. Not to say that you cannot improve. Even sounding good is subjective.Geddy Lee singing "Love on the Rocks" would probably suck. Same for Neil Diamond singing "Closer to the Heart". Not that either one of them could not rearrange the song to fit their voice and style.

That, along with the fact that you, asking a serious question about making a series of Videos on singing, has brought one serious comment and one joke, leads to my suggestion that your series should include aspects of "SINGING" other than breath support, Tone, Placement such as timing, phrasing, breath management( as in where to steal a breath if you need to and when to inhale) Dynamics and perhaps when, where and why to use distortion, clean tones, vibrato  and falsetto as opposed to Full voice............you know the things that actually make singing sound good and be considered singing.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Sexy Beast said:

What the ................................................................................................ did I just hear?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Bzean123 said:

I hear ya, MDew. The internet is laden down with people who are not willing to put an ounce of effort into anything, other than to criticize and ridicule.  But I'm sure your intent was not to discourage James from going ahead with his idea. We know that there ARE people out there who are serious about getting better at something (whether it be singing, carpentry or knitting). These are the people who James should be targetting - knowing that filtering out some BS just comes with the territory. 

Anyways, man, I hope you are keeping up with your singing. The last of your stuff I heard you'd made some really nice improvements, I hope you are still working on it. Post something!

That was not meant to discourage James. James is one of the pioneers of Rock singing instruction/improvement for the masses. I would look forward to any content James was to put out on video.

Even on this forum when someone mentions something that helped them, instead of getting feedback about the technique/concept, you get jokes or just debates about why it is useless or would cause other problems without further instruction. Or you would get the famous line of "The big named singers did not learn technique why should I ". One saying Support has nothing to do with good singing another saying Placement has no value. On and on. The truth is that there is a lot of things that go on subconsciously that help "Those that do sound good naturally". Things that some of us need to bring into the conscious mind to work on.

Another problem with the whole "Technique/instruction without a teacher" is that Yes, there are many contradictions that take place. One minute you are told to sing high notes you need to place the sound FORWARD the next instruction is to send the tone behind the soft palate. OK swell how do you send the sound forward and backward at the same time? I know how now. They are two different things and are controlled in two different ways but until you learn to experience each separately you are lost by the instruction.

I started making headway when I stopped trying to sound the way I thought I sounded or should sound. Clear point isn't it.

I thought you were supposed to sing free and easy and keep the sound out of your throat. Sounds familiar doesn't it? People kept telling me I need to lower my larynx and add support. I decided to do the exact opposite of what I had believed to be "Proper Technique" at the time and made the most hideous/choked up sound I could think of. I literally squeezed my throat shut and PUSHED the sound through it. Still the WRONG thing to do but the result was a sound that OTHER people liked. As a matter of fact several who had not commented about my singing before gave me favorable reviews. After telling them what I did they just said correct technique or not keep doing that.   

That is not how I sing now BUT it did free me from SINGING like MYSELF and failing miserably.

2 people like this

Contradictions will happen since advice doesn't apply to everyone, but needs to be tailored a bit - hence the need for a teacher. I can show someone how to fry scream in 5 minutes. Some people get it right away, others take 3 months. I personally took 2 weeks after being shown. Finding things that are basic enough for anyone to use and improve right away can be idfficult too, since those already more advanced will look down upon it. I'm about to upload 7 different singing basics videos that I normally go much more in depth with in a lesson. It's been emotionally difficult for me to leave it at it's most basic form, as a starter. I'm also trying to be very explicit in that it's just a starter. 

The push the vowel forward and hold the resonance in the back makes sense to me, but I have to explain it to my students in a way that makes sense to them. To here it at face value sounds contradictory. Also, I might tell one student to do something entirely different than another simply because they have different habits to overcome. I think there are ways to label videos appropriately to handle seemingly contradictory info, and then ignore the haters.

3 people like this

18 minutes ago, Draven Grey said:

Contradictions will happen since advice doesn't apply to everyone, but needs to be tailored a bit - hence the need for a teacher. I can show someone how to fry scream in 5 minutes. Some people get it right away, others take 3 months. I personally took 2 weeks after being shown. Finding things that are basic enough for anyone to use and improve right away can be idfficult too, since those already more advanced will look down upon it. I'm about to upload 7 different singing basics videos that I normally go much more in depth with in a lesson. It's been emotionally difficult for me to leave it at it's most basic form, as a starter. I'm also trying to be very explicit in that it's just a starter. 

The push the vowel forward and hold the resonance in the back makes sense to me, but I have to explain it to my students in a way that makes sense to them. To here it at face value sounds contradictory. Also, I might tell one student to do something entirely different than another simply because they have different habits to overcome. I think there are ways to label videos appropriately to handle seemingly contradictory info, and then ignore the haters.

I am looking forward to watching the videos from you and James whenever they become available. I think for those who look down upon instructional videos or who already CAN SING or sound good and may see fault in a method of teaching, they tend to forget that these videos are for those who CANNOT sing or make certain sounds. Those who cannot are the ones who will benefit. Sometimes you have to trick the muscles into doing something different than what a person  may do naturally.

For instance the "Inhale the Voice" ......some may just think "that is a stupid idea, you do not Inhale to make sound" and it is true but it is a way, for some, to trick the voice into making the right adjustments.

Some people get louder and higher naturally when they get excited, mad or have to yell across a field,  These people would have an easier time learning how to belt or scream. I was the opposite, when I got mad my tone would get lower, softer yet deeper and forceful, A kind of combination between Dirty Harry and an Action Movie Preview Announcer. Scared the crap out of a 6'4" biker until he turned around and saw a 5'7" 130 pounder. Entering the "Call Register" is still a problem for me.

1 person likes this

I think they will find an audience. I come from a different mindset and experience then most vocal coaches.  Either way they will help me if no one else.  

1 person likes this

These type of things are what we think and say they are. If you think it's useless or trite then that's what it is. If you see it as vibrant that's what it is. If you guys go to my YouTube account you'll see I have thousands of subscribers and 2 million views. I have an extremely dedicated base of music people who have followed me for years. 

My topic was does anyone have any tips they'd like to see covered not your personal opinion of other vocal coach videos or the state of the Internet as it pertains to voice.

-James

2 people like this

Point taken,.. :39:

Come on, come all! We look forward to your suggestions for YouTube videos that you feel will help you. Thanks for offering a topic that is intended to help people out and further the pursuit of education James... :grphug:

Let's hope we get a good response and there are people that not only want "free tips" but are prepared to take action and study/train to become better singers. 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, James Lugo said:

These type of things are what we think and say they are. If you think it's useless or trite then that's what it is. If you see it as vibrant that's what it is. If you guys go to my YouTube account you'll see I have thousands of subscribers and 2 million views. I have an extremely dedicated base of music people who have followed me for years. 

My topic was does anyone have any tips they'd like to see covered not your personal opinion of other vocal coach videos or the state of the Internet as it pertains to voice.

-James

Sorry to sound cynical James. It is not about you and your desire to help people. I, like so many. Spend hours when the mood strikes searching through videos for tips,ideas, and different viewpoints about singing. It is not the Teachers that I find fault with but those who are seeking tips and then complaining about the teachers methods.

What I like to see on a video is a one on one with a student who is having trouble with a particular idea or sound and the steps taken to resolve the problem with whatever kind of crazy suggestions that come up in trying to get the idea across to the student.

An example would be as in one of Daniels videos of a master class........... Daniel called a random person to the stage and had him start with Ah, the student kept repeating an Ae instead of Ah. There was a back and forth between Daniels Ah and the Students Ae. I think Daniel finally switched to another vowel and the student then produced the Ah Daniel was looking for in the first place. Once the correct Vowel/throat space was established the student was able to maintain a stable tone throughout the siren or phrase on the problem pitch.

I watched another video of a coach taking a student through a song, The student kept cracking at the same point in the song. The coach had the student  place both hands on the students cheeks and lift a little, The coach told him why he did that or had him notice a particular feeling, then had the student sing the song. The student maintained his tone throughout and did not crack.

Different  methods work for different people. Something that may seem to be a stupid idea may be just the thing needed to get another person out of a bad habit.

1 person likes this

Yeah I think the first few videos are going to be setup, kind of going over my approach and then we will dive into students. Also gonna do vids on producing singers in the studio and BGVs. 

3 people like this

I did my initial videos as the video version of almost everything I go over in the first lesson. If new students watch those videos before our first lesson, I'll be able to get to the meaty stuff a lot faster. The other videos I'm doing are covers, evaluations, and immediately applicable stuff. I'm also moving into video testimonials with some examples when possible.

Looking forwrad to seeing what you upload, James!

2 people like this

Here is a test video of the intro and outtro bumpers for the new vocal tips videos. 

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, James Lugo said:

producing singers in the studio and BGVs. 

I like this a LOT.

Feedback... :moomin:

32 minutes ago, James Lugo said:

Here is a test video of the intro and outtro bumpers for the new vocal tips videos. 

Cool.

Watch the promo code at the end. If you bake in a promo code to a video, you are stuck with it, after it is no longer applicable. Many things can change to make a code no longer applicable; a new promotion, a new shopping cart system that can't take that exact set of characters, etc... As a general rule, don't bake in elements to your annotations that could leave you having to totally reupload a new version of the video across all your platforms. You end up creating work for yourself. 

Hope this helps brother...

But love the media clips, validates that you are a rock star.

Ok,... I'll play...

I am interested in producing a series of videos that are similar to this one... they are "The ( song name ) Lesson" video series. I have done one video thus far, but plan to do one for every one of my performance videos. I feel that one thing that is missing in YouTube vox coaching content is a well done lesson on how the techniques people learn/train, are applied to the song, and can be heard inside a song, if they are pointed out. It adds relevance. Not sure how you could lose with this sort of composition. Thats my new direction with YouTube videos.

Cut to ...

- Here is me singing.

- Here is me explaining what is relevant to TVS training IN the singing.

DONE.

Thoughts?

21 minutes ago, Robert Lunte said:

Cool.

Watch the promo code at the end. If you bake in a promo code to a video, you are stuck with it, after it is no longer applicable. Many things can change to make a code no longer applicable; a new promotion, a new shopping cart system that can't take that exact set of characters, etc... As a general rule, don't bake in elements to your annotations that could leave you having to totally reupload a new version of the video across all your platforms. You end up creating work for yourself. 

Hope this helps brother...

But love the media clips, validates that you are a rock star.

Ooo good thinking. Thanks man. I'll update. 

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, James Lugo said:

Also gonna do vids on producing singers in the studio and BGVs. 

James, This comment caught my attention. I thought of four reasons why I believe it would make a good video series.

1- Entertainment value: very cool to watch the game go down in a studio. A potentially high pressure environment, maybe a producer is wanting something out of the singer that you help them achieve, in real time in-studio. 

2- Practical Vocal Coaching:  So many sining challenges arise in the studio. If you work with singers in recording sessions often, that's an invaluable (video) resource for this kind of content!

3- Educational: Due to the reality of point #2, students would have the chance to understand (not only) how vocal coaches help with singing challenges yet also, the reality of multiple takes to get a part sung properly and all that's involved with that. Composing melodies, lyrics, . . . .  i think you get my drift.

4- Innovative:  I don't think there is a video "series" like this out there.

look forward to seeing them!

58 minutes ago, Kevin Ashe said:

James, This comment caught my attention. I thought of four reasons why I believe it would make a good video series.

1- Entertainment value: very cool to watch the game go down in a studio. A potentially high pressure environment, maybe a producer is wanting something out of the singer that you help them achieve, in real time in-studio. 

2- Practical Vocal Coaching:  So many sining challenges arise in the studio. If you work with singers in recording sessions often, that's an invaluable (video) resource for this kind of content!

3- Educational: Due to the reality of point #2, students would have the chance to understand (not only) how vocal coaches help with singing challenges yet also, the reality of multiple takes to get a part sung properly and all that's involved with that. Composing melodies, lyrics, . . . .  i think you get my drift.

4- Innovative:  I don't think there is a video "series" like this out there.

look forward to seeing them!

Thanks for the thoughtful insight and ideas. Yeah we are going to delve into a lot of topics in meticulous detail in a different way then other instructional material. 

1 person likes this

On 1/16/2017 at 1:06 PM, Robert Lunte said:

Thoughts?

Sounds interesting Rob.

I would appreciate a video that documents you coaching an artist on their original material. Perhaps this might well illustrate the full scope of TVS, which seems often eclipsed by vocal technique expertise (understandably so).  

I would guess, only those of your students who have booked session work with you on musical performance, stage presence, artistic style, and other matters of musicianship, get a glimpse at these dimensions of your skills set (as it pertains to the student/coach experience) !

eh?

peace Bro! I hope to see a new video soon!

k

1 person likes this

On 14/01/2017 at 0:39 AM, Bzean123 said:

I hear ya, MDew. The internet is laden down with people who are not willing to put an ounce of effort into anything, other than to criticize and ridicule.

:lol::24::4:

1 person likes this

You'll see some more videos, but given what YouTube has turned into and other more productive things I can put my time and talent into, its no longer as much of a focus. Im sneaking out the back door this year.