Blue sunken dream

• Review My Singing Membership

Hi,

I'm just another guitarist who decided to give it a shot with singing  on my own.

I know that this is very raw and need work(recorded on my old phone),I'd still  like to get your very honest opinion+feedback on my

color voice and performance for the 2 covers.

Life on mars: 

Blue suede shoes:

Thanks,

• Administrator

Hey Dan, great to have you here. 

Review:

Life On Mars:

- Your guitar is out of tune it seems. You need to fix that for sure.

- Your inability to accompany yourself on guitar is preventing you from being able to sing this better then you could. I would suggest that the first thing you is find a karaoke track to sing over. If you can't play the guitar part for the song, you won't be able to sing it any better. Get the karaoke track and try again. Feel free to post it here... its distracting YOU.

Blue Suede Shoes:

- Same issue as "Mars...".

- I suggest you get the bed tracks to these songs and practice learning them with singing only for a while.

On 1/24/2017 at 2:16 AM, Robert Lunte said:

Hey Dan, great to have you here. 

Review:

Life On Mars:

- Your guitar is out of tune it seems. You need to fix that for sure.

- Your inability to accompany yourself on guitar is preventing you from being able to sing this better then you could. I would suggest that the first thing you is find a karaoke track to sing over. If you can't play the guitar part for the song, you won't be able to sing it any better. Get the karaoke track and try again. Feel free to post it here... its distracting YOU.

Blue Suede Shoes:

- Same issue as "Mars...".

- I suggest you get the bed tracks to these songs and practice learning them with singing only for a while.

Yes the guitar was out of tune,it's probably the best tip to start with :)

I Guess it's going to take a lot of practice in order to be comfortable in both singing and playing,there is no doubt that it feels much better when i sing without the guitar.

Is it the case when my voice sound really bad and I don't even notice that?

Anyway,I tried to make a better arrangement  and would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,

• Administrator

Danny,

Go to www.smule.com and use this product to get a basic recording with a bed track. I want to hear you without guitar. 

This is almost impossible to review until  you get a decent accompaniment.  

On the first chorus It felt like I was trying to get higher without 'falsetto' which caused to some breath struggle.

Was it really bad to your ears?

I really  appreciate any kind of feedback.

Thanks,

You made a good attempt on these song. I commend you on your effort, especially since it sounds like English may not be your first language and English, which often makes English difficult to sing. I've trained a few students from other countries that spoke naturally much further back in the mouth and throat than English. I had to give them speech training as well as singing.

I think what Gsoul was asking is if you were trying to stay quiet. Your breath support and volume sound like you're trying to be as quiet as possible rather than sing out strong and proud.

I have some students who have struggled with the same type of volume and breath support simply because they didn't even think about volume control. Find a volume you think sounds good and fits the song, then try to keep all of your singing at that volume. Sometimes, different parts of a song will call for you changing your volume level, but you still want to stay consistent throughout each part. For instance, a chorus may sound betetr louder, a bridge might work better quieter, but it truly depends on the song and the emotion you want to convey. But volume control and breath support are not the main issue. It's very important, but I heard something else that could hold you back even more.

You seem to be singing a lot of speech mode vowels, rather than well placed singing vowels. Vowel placement is extremely different for singing than it is in speech. Learn to lift the vowels to the soft palate. You feel this happening if you smile when you talk. But unlike talking, you want to try and place all your singing vowels to feel more like they're coming from the soft palate than from the throat. Beside the smile, or embouchure (like the video below), you can also place your finger or mic on your bottom lip and try to sing up and over it. Try keeping all of your vowels there. 

Do you train? Do you have a teacher? I think you would benefit greatly from it. Check out the TVS Training Program linked to in the footer of this page. Even better, train with a teacher who is getting the results in their students taht you want to have yourself. And if you think you can't afford it right now, then at elast watch the video below and Robert's other videos too. He's one of the very few vocal coaches on YouTube who actually explain what they're doing well enough for you to learn from his videos. His course, which I mentioned above, is far more in depth though.

It's great to have a feedback!, i'm still trying to explore my voice in order to find what sounds good and what is bad.

Did you hear a bad accent on the attempts? I did miss some words that should have sung better.

I was trying to sing naturally and spontaneously based on the original versions of the tunes,I didn't have a plan and maybe that's a problam too or just what my voice is a capable of.

As I mentioned I have never recorded myself or even sang karaoke before,I will sure check on the videos and try to learn from them.