Where can I learn to sing?

Rate this topic

Moe

Hello everybody!

My name is Moe. I'm 23 years old and I just developed a passion to sing. Thing is, I don't even know one tiny bit about how to start over. Can you guys help out a brother? Is it even possible to learn to sing in my age? Is it too late? Where can I start?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Moe said:

Is it even possible to learn to sing in my age? Is it too late? 

Sounds about right for the usual https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=nI-WWK2bFZLW8Ae8vaeICg#q=we+are+all+being+lied+to

If you want to learn to sing then you are going to have to find a singing teacher that will teach you the kind of music you want to sing 

That could be one2one with someone in your area or someone on hear on the net using skype

12 hours ago, Moe said:

Hello everybody!

My name is Moe. I'm 23 years old and I just developed a passion to sing. Thing is, I don't even know one tiny bit about how to start over. Can you guys help out a brother? Is it even possible to learn to sing in my age? Is it too late? Where can I start?

Thanks.

Of course you can. There's a few things you can do. For one, you should look into getting lessons. You could get either one-on-one lessons or Skype lessons. One other thing you could do is to take one song you like, not anything too hard, but a song you really like, and try to sing it, and make a recording of it. You could download this app if you're looking for an easy way to do that. Then you can buy a singing review on here for $10, post the recording, and then people can help you with telling you what you need to work on. Reviews can be bought here.

You must be serious about it though. It could take years to get the voice you want, but your voice is the one instrument that you could never put down, so you should always keep practicing. 

Also, join our singing challenges, which are challenges to yourself rather than competitions against other people, to keep your eye on the prize and stay working on your voice.

On 05/02/2017 at 11:45 PM, Draven Grey said:

You're kidding, right? Is there another way to phrase your question? Perhaps I misunderstood.

It may seam like simple, you hear a song on the radio and you try to sing it and you can or can't sing it then you would say its easy or hard.
But if you analyzed it; is it hard because it is a high or low note song and out of your vocal range, is it hard because it may involve a lot of movement of the mouth or a very fast song to sing etc.
Is it just hard for you or just hard for me or just hard for her or is it hard for all of us?

You said in one of your posts, the song "whitney houston i will always love you" you give to your more advanced students when they get board of the exercises you give them, is that a hard song for all your students and why?

1 hour ago, 2 cats in a dust bin said:

It may seam like simple, you hear a song on the radio and you try to sing it and you can or can't sing it then you would say its easy or hard.
But if you analyzed it; is it hard because it is a high or low note song and out of your vocal range, is it hard because it may involve a lot of movement of the mouth or a very fast song to sing etc.
Is it just hard for you or just hard for me or just hard for her or is it hard for all of us?

You said in one of your posts, the song "whitney houston i will always love you" you give to your more advanced students when they get board of the exercises you give them, is that a hard song for all your students and why?

That question is a lot more clear. Thank you.

In the other post,I talked about using Chase Holfelder's version of I Will always Love You to help intermediate and advanced students gain much more control over voice placement in application. But a song being hard or easy is completely subjective to the person attempting to sing it and what precisely they're trying to train for in using that song. In context of this thread, "hard" means pushing the edge of your abilities a bit rather than just singing something that doesn't challenge you at all. Are you training for belting, range, soft TA engagement above the passagio, stabilizing low notes, vocal effects, or something else? The Four Pillars of Singing addresses all of those things, but applying that training to a song to further your training and test it out in "real life" situations, you may want something that challenges you.

Just today, I spent about ten minutes going through songs with a student to find one that sang above and crossed her passagio. Everything below her passagio was too easy for her, and she was specifically training to tune her formant above the passagio and needed a challenging song to apply it to. For her, the song we found was hard in that she had to work through it and figure out how to apply what she had trained for. All the songs we found before that one were in her chest voice range and didn't challenge her at all.

39 minutes ago, 2 cats in a dust bin said:

You don't have to get into why it's hard, because you won't know that when you start out, lol. Just a song you think you can sing better than any other song you like, without hurting yourself. 

At at one of my first lessons, my teacher asked me what my favorite song was and to try and sing it. I said I couldn't. At that time, my favorite song was a song where the guy sang while drifting back and forth between falsetto and full voice throughout the song, but also multiple times within a single phrase. Then he sang with vibrato and used melismas at the same time (at that point, I could barely do any melismas whatsoever), and at one point, did both while employing rasp. Of course I didn't know all of that at the time, but I just knew I couldn't really sing it well.

Now, if I had showed him the original, he probably would have tried to explain it to me to try it without the different dynamics, but you don't understand all that when you've yet to have lessons.

It's important not to try to sing something very difficult because you want people here to tell you where you are starting from. If you are trying to do certain relatively advanced techniques that you can't do properly, it's harder to see what basics you do and don't have.

On 2/4/2017 at 1:44 PM, Moe said:

I just developed a passion to sing.

Hey Moe!

Lots of good advice here that our fellow TMVW members have posted for your consideration!

I'm curious, what occurred that inspired your passion for singing?

Also,

What would you guess the weaknesses and strengths of your singing voice to be?

and,

List a song or two that you really enjoy singing.

The answers to these questions may lend even further insight for the experts here to help you take some first steps.

• Administrator

Great post guys.

Moe... where can you learn to sing?

Well, that could be a loaded question, but my best advise would be to start with a home study, vocal training program that can get you some solid knowledge of how the singing voice ACTUALLY works first of all. Then train with that program to build the strength and coordination you will need for singing. You have to understand right here and now... the singing voice is not the speaking voice. Especially for beginners, you HAVE to train the voice and the ears for singing. 

If you think that you can learn to sing well and to sing your favorite songs, etc... by just using the voice that you have today ( with all of its lack of strength, coordination and motor skills for singing ), by only getting a free tip on YouTube or on this forum, I am here to tell you, you can't. It doesn't work that way. Singing requires voice training for 90% of the population and voice training is an athletic endeavor. You have to build the muscle strength and motor skills to do it. There are not short cuts and there is no "easy" way... unless you only want to sing in the chest voice and become a country singer. 

I'll be clear on an important point. If you just want to sing in the easy part of your range, then free tips might be all you need. But if you want to be able to sing above E4 or your vocal break and sing high notes consistently and make them sound great,... you have to roll up your sleeves and get to work.

3 hours ago, Kevin Ashe said:

Hey Moe!

Lots of good advice here that our fellow TMVW members have posted for your consideration!

I'm curious, what occurred that inspired your passion for singing?

Also,

What would you guess the weaknesses and strengths of your singing voice to be?

and,

List a song or two that you really enjoy singing.

The answers to these questions may lend even further insight for the experts here to help you take some first steps.

Hello Sir!

Thank you so much for taking out the time to respond to me. 

What inspired me to want to learn singing?

Well, I was always fascinated by these artists. The way they would express themselves, their emotions, in such a beautiful form. I also want to be able to do that. It's like that fascination was building up in me with time, to the extent that now my fascination is overflowing and I want to learn singing already.

Weakness and strengths.

I have no strength at all in singing. When I sing I sound like someone being tortured. I know nothing about singing.

Songs I like:

I'm more of  Pop and R&B type of guy. I like Hello by Adele.

That's about it. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

30 minutes ago, Robert Lunte said:

Great post guys.

Moe... where can you learn to sing?

Well, that could be a loaded question, but my best advise would be to start with a home study, vocal training program that can get you some solid knowledge of how the singing voice ACTUALLY works first of all. Then train with that program to build the strength and coordination you will need for singing. You have to understand right here and now... the singing voice is not the speaking voice. Especially for beginners, you HAVE to train the voice and the ears for singing. 

If you think that you can learn to sing well and to sing your favorite songs, etc... by just using the voice that you have today ( with all of its lack of strength, coordination and motor skills for singing ), by only getting a free tip on YouTube or on this forum, I am here to tell you, you can't. It doesn't work that way. Singing requires voice training for 90% of the population and voice training is an athletic endeavor. You have to build the muscle strength and motor skills to do it. There are not short cuts and there is no "easy" way... unless you only want to sing in the chest voice and become a country singer. 

I'll be clear on an important point. If you just want to sing in the easy part of your range, then free tips might be all you need. But if you want to be able to sing above E4 or your vocal break and sing high notes consistently and make them sound great,... you have to roll up your sleeves and get to work.

Thank you for replying sir. This is the best advice out there. I'm aware that singing is like a sport and requires time, discipline, and effort. As a matter of fact I was going over your sales page and it was quite interesting. I do have a few questions though. Like, is your course meant for total newbies like me? or does it require to have some skill/knowledge? Also, I don't really know any singing terms, like, soprano, register, chest voice, head voice, etc... I need something for total newbies. And I'm willing to give it dedication.

• Administrator

Moe, of course The Four Pillars of Singing is for beginners as well. How could I produce a training program for singers that wasn't for beginners? That would be a program that would get no students. 4 Pillars starts very basic and then progresses to more advanced techniques and training as you progress, as any good vocal training program should.

A lot of these guys own my program as well. If they would be kind enough to chime in from a user perspective, both me and Moe would appreciate that. 

In any case Moe, after you purchase, I will also be here to answer any questions you may have. I don't go away after you become a customer and student of mine. It doesn't work that way at TVS. Here is the testimonials page... I invite you to view these videos and read these posts, these are real, genuine people that have trained. You may even recognize Draven in one of the videos.

What other questions do you have?

Lastly, please don't call me "Sir". I appreciate your interest in referring to me with some level of respect, I'm ok with that, but I am not a knight in the court of the Crimson King...lol. Just call me Robert, or if you would like to address me as something with higher levels of respect, you can call me "Maestro" or simply "coach". 

I use TFPOS techniques with all of my students, with a few extras I've been teaching for years. Once I started TFPOS exercises, all of my students - beginner, intermediate, and advanced - have had amazing results and mostly only want to go through drills with me now, rather than sing songs.

5 hours ago, Moe said:

Hello Sir!

Hi Moe!  You're Welcome!   and you can call me Kevin or Kev. This forum is a really good place to reach out and get most all of your questions answered.  You'll encounter (mostly) people who care and enjoy helping when they can.  

Maestro Rob (:D)  said it all my friend! He is a Maverick, and a trailblazer among voice coaches.  I've been around a while and have studied with great coaches.  Robert Lunte takes the cake in the Awesome Vocal Coach category! 

He's a tough yet effective motivator because he has built a vocal system that eliminates time wasting efforts. He will be able to give you the guidance you need, you should be able to assess that yourself by watching videos on his Youtube channel.

Well, I was always fascinated by these artists. The way they would express themselves, their emotions, in such a beautiful form. I also want to be able to do that. It's like that fascination was building up in me with time, to the extent that now my fascination is overflowing and I want to learn singing already.

Confidence and stage presence comes with training, time, and live performances. As you refine your vocal skills, those traits will increase. A good vocal coach will know how to build you up in this critical area of live performance. 

Weakness and strengths.

I have no strength at all in singing. When I sing I sound like someone being tortured. I know nothing about singing.

First, I doubt you sound as hideous as you describe. That being said, you can smooth out all the "bumps" in your voice with the right training.  The voice you imagine having will begin to emerge as you essentially remove (with the training) engrained, problematic habits from your singing voice.

Songs I like:

Awesome, Adele is very bluesy, and you'll notice she has amazing control of her voice whether she's belting or singing a soft ballad. Learning those kind of vocal strengths is hard but, lots of fun if you have a passion for singing! You will see improvement if you get the right coach, and train several hours per week on your own at home.

Go for it Moe!

kevin

8 hours ago, Moe said:

Hello Sir!

What inspired me to want to learn singing?

Weakness and strengths.

Songs I like:

That's about it. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Not too many other R&B guys here, lol. I actually recently posted how I met Lauryn Hill a bunch of times in one of the other threads, who happens to be one of Adele's biggest influences. That's important because knowing who inspired the people that inspired you can further inspire you and keep your flame going. Thinking about which songs you like also can help you with figuring out what kind of techniques you want to develop.

20 minutes ago, Kevin Ashe said:

they're the "naturals."

folks that seem to have been born able to sing all the normally non-intuitive aspects of singing.

I would argue that even a "natural" needs training. Freddie Mercury was incredible and untrained, but lost his voice half way through eeach concert. Sia is the same. I don't know if she's had training or not, but she has certain issues in her voice that make me think she hasn't.

1 minute ago, Draven Grey said:

I would argue that even a "natural" needs training.

Well Draven, I would be on your side in that debate! Exceptions are super rare.

Yes, just because someone has all the chops and a good ear, doesn't address the all important fact that, if you don't use it (training included), you can lose it (at least a lot of it), and I would guess that most singers who must perform even semi-regularly live, will run into fatigue issues unless they've been taught how to avert it. Also, As you know, good vocal coaches educate students about certain life-style issues which negatively impact the voicebox (to use a retro term).

1 hour ago, 2 cats in a dust bin said:

So what about the other 10% of the population then?

1 hour ago, Kevin Ashe said:

they're the "naturals."

folks that seem to have been born able to sing all the normally non-intuitive aspects of singing.

What 10% I dont think so!

So that would mean that 10% of the worlds population can just sing like a pro with out ever trying