Review my Singing Please :)

• TMV World Member

Hey so i've been singing for about 12 years now never had lessons sadly as i could never afford them. i'm 20 years old and i'm wanting to do music as a career either teaching with gigs on the side or just straight up gigging if i'm good enough for it.

I have a few videos on my facebook page @ https://www.facebook.com/ConnorSydneyHodgson/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel 

I ask my friends and family for their feedback on my singing but its always been yeah you're good which is just frustrating because good is never enough and it's not as detailed as i would like to know. i can take the most brutal criticism so dont hold back i really need to hear it! I would like every small thing i do wrong pointing out and advice on what to work on if possible!

Look forward so seeing the reviews!

Kind Regards

Connor Sydney Hodgson

• Administrator

Connor,

Welcome to The Modern Vocalist World forum !!!

To get reviews on your singing, I'd like to suggest that you create an account at either YouTube, Soundcloud, or Box.net. rather than using Facebook.

I'm sure that our coaches and Subject Mater Experts will be pleased to review your singing.

Thank you for purchasing a membership to our forum. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to write me.

Respectfully,

Adolph

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, connorh1896 said:

Hey sorry, i do have a few on i forgot about

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuW7x9BvMgvw0T6LeTWqnWg

Awesome !!!

If you wish to create accounts at either Soundcloud or Box.net, here are the links for your convenience :

https://soundcloud.com
https://www.box.com/home

Again, a very sincere welcome to our forum !

Adolph

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

• Administrator

Review:

- Your voice is nice, could use some compression in your voice... more twang.

- Stop singing with Sob mode all the tme like your crying. It is a sound color that is over done these days. Get some real compression and twang going.

- The biggest point of improvement is in your rhythm... this song has not steady tempo or groove. You need to practcie with a metronome and hold a steady tempo, then work on grooving.

I listened to your other song too. I hear what Rob is talking about concerning Sob mode, and I also think it has a lot to do with your chosen dynamics. For instance, in the other video on your channel, you have a bit more twang and compression. However, even in that video, you chose to not allow yoruself to belt when the song called for bigger dynamics. It was almost as if you were holding back, which kept the song (or both songs) from ever climaxing or taking people on an emotional rollercoaster that you could have with those lyrics. You obvisouly were able to keep your chest voice musculature engaged on higher notes, but you stayed soft in volume, which rounded out the voice, made it prettier, and pushed it much further back towards your throat (hence "sob").

By belting, I don't mean yelling either. Don't be afraid to get loud when the song calls for it or you want to show passion or emphasize parts. Get loud from pushing into your abs from behind, not from pushing from the throat. And let that extra air pressure push right into your soft palate. Then lean the voice a bit more towards your teeth for more edge, if you like. The extra air pressure will cause more twang through what's called Bernoulli's Principle, and cause more volume without pushing frmo your neck (which would be yelling). The focus on keeping the voice up into the soft palate and then out towards your hard palate will also cause more compression.