Can I Sing? 1 Cover & Original Music

• Review My Singing Membership

Hi all,

New singer/songwriter, just recently formed an indie/shoegaze band from all of my home recordings. No vocal training or anything, but then again I don't care too much if I sound trained as a "singer" would sound on the radio, and instead i'm focusing on whether or not I sound pleasing to the ears, basically want to make sure I don't sound like complete crap because I have a very weird voice.

Here's a vocal cover I did of Marilyn Manson - Coma Black (I know, definitely NOT my genre and I'm not a Manson fan, but a friend said my singing sort of sounded like Manson which surprised me because I thought he was a heavy metal screaming dude, so I youtubed him and gave it a shot the other day to demonstrate my vocal style. All tracks done in one take, no copy/pasting so that I can get an accurate critique on my singing without cheating so that mistakes were captured.

You sing in key, which is a major plus :) You also don't have a "weird" voice.

Training your voice doesn't make you sound "trained". I'm not even sure if that is a sound, considering the major variety in both singer who've taken lessons and those who haven't. You train you voice in order to more easily get the sound you want consistently, releave tension, and make your voice last for many years to come. You will sound like you want to and not like you don't want to.

Here's one of many examples - Simply lifting the voice to the soft palate will help with all of those things I mentioned. That means baring your teeth a bit on higher notes, and focusing on the voice going up and out, singing more towards where the hard and soft palate meet. I often have a student put their finger on their bottom lip and try to sing up and over it. Singing from the throat, where you typically speak from, does not make for a lasting consistent, and controllable voice. Also, lifting the voice as described doesn't mean you can't dampen the larynx and change your tongue position slightly to get something that sound exatly the same as you did before. But it will be a conscious decision and much more relaxed and consistent, rather than being whatever happens to come out.

• Review My Singing Membership

Awesome, maybe i'll do training at some point, or just check out youtube videos.

As far as my voice is right now though, is it alright? The reason why i'm concerned is because I plan on releasing a demo, and also getting the band to start gigging in a month or two. They like the vocals, but I just want outside opinions if my voice sucks or not, or any thoughts on it for the kind of music I play. When I listen to my voice I cringe and hate it. Maybe I sing in key, but that doesn't mean it necessarily sounds good I suppose. Bleh