What are vocal modes?

Rate this topic

Aeolian

1 hour ago, MDEW said:

It depends on where you heard the term, What style of singing and why you are asking the question.The explanation  is different depending on what context it is used.

I've heard the term thrown around a lot on YouTube. I'm just kinda confused cause some people try to give an auditory example of things like "edge" or "overdrive" in these videos but then when you check another video that persons example sounds different from the other persons.

I've recently realized that in singing it's not just the note that needs to be right but the way you sing the note as well. I'm interested in vocal modes because it seems to be the only topic I've been able to find that explores the "tones" that can be made on a single note. Other singing tutorials I've noticed just focus on the hitting the right notes.

But yeah I'm confused cause some people say there's 3 modes... Others say there's 4 and often the examples they give of things like curbing sounds different once I move onto a different a video explaining the same thing.

I'm trying to learn how to sing pop I guess you can say but I'd like to understand the differences between the different contexts like rock or rnb.

Different teaching methods use different terms for "Modes" even though they describe the same basic sounds. Usually the Volume/loudness, Vowel and emotional representation/character describes the "Modes.

Examples. "Neutral" would be soft singing as if you were singing a lullaby. Can use any vowel and low volume.

"Curbing" in one method may be the same as 'Sob" in another along with "Crooning" or "Speech Mode". This would be moderately loud and includes a whiny or sobbing aspect to some degree. includes vowels Oe like the noises you make when you have a stomach ache. "Ooe My stomach hurts" or whiny like " Ooe, I don't want to go to school" The larynx drops a little bit and the soud goes further back in the mouth. "Curbing" has another aspect that is given in the name. If you "Curb" your appetite" you suppress it or "HOLD BACK" a little.

"Over Drive" is on par will "Yelling" or "Calling" to someone across the street or in another room. A little louder than "Curbing" Uses vowels Like "Eh, and OH" ......"Hey, What did you do to my Car? "..........." On your mark, Get Set "GO"..........

"Edge" is even louder and includes vowels like "Ae" as in Cat......Includes sounds like being really excited or really Pissed...............

I hope I helped........ and Anyone who can describe them better feel free to correct me if I made things more confusing, or if you have something to add.

11 minutes ago, MDEW said:

Different teaching methods use different terms for "Modes" even though they describe the same basic sounds. Usually the Volume/loudness, Vowel and emotional representation/character describes the "Modes.

Examples. "Neutral" would be soft singing as if you were singing a lullaby. Can use any vowel and low volume.

"Curbing" in one method may be the same as 'Sob" in another along with "Crooning" or "Speech Mode". This would be moderately loud and includes a whiny or sobbing aspect to some degree. includes vowels Oe like the noises you make when you have a stomach ache. "Ooe My stomach hurts" or whiny like " Ooe, I don't want to go to school" The larynx drops a little bit and the soud goes further back in the mouth. "Curbing" has another aspect that is given in the name. If you "Curb" your appetite" you suppress it or "HOLD BACK" a little.

"Over Drive" is on par will "Yelling" or "Calling" to someone across the street or in another room. A little louder than "Curbing" Uses vowels Like "Eh, and OH" ......"Hey, What did you do to my Car? "..........." On your mark, Get Set "GO"..........

"Edge" is even louder and includes vowels like "Ae" as in Cat......Includes sounds like being really excited or really Pissed...............

I hope I helped........ and Anyone who can describe them better feel free to correct me if I made things more confusing, or if you have something to add.        

Thank you so much this helps a lot. I have other questions if you wouldn't mind me asking.

Which mode is the most commonly used? Are certain modes used more commonly in different genres?

Since neutral is "soft" and overdrive is "yelling" which one is the vocal mode that lies at medium volume? Would that be curbing?

Can vocal modes be used in head voice?

Which one should I practice the most?

Do singers frequently change between different modes in a song?

Lastly... what vocal mode is the guy using in this song? 

A lot of questions. There is nothing in this video clip that sounds like yelling or is very loud.

There are songs that will take you through each of the modes.. One of the coaches here has a pretty cool saying, "Vowel, Pitch and intensity".

33 minutes ago, MDEW said:

A lot of questions. There is nothing in this video clip that sounds like yelling or is very loud.

There are songs that will take you through each of the modes.. One of the coaches here has a pretty cool saying, "Vowel, Pitch and intensity".

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it. So if nothing sounds like yelling in that clip then would that make the vocal mode neutral? Since every other mode was either "moderately loud and above?"

8 minutes ago, Aeolian said:

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it. So if nothing sounds like yelling in that clip then would that make the vocal mode neutral? Since every other mode was either "moderately loud and above?"

Neutral, Curbing or Speech. Until you get to the Breaking point in pitch it doesn't matter which. I am not a coach, but keeping a bit of sobbing in the voice will help give you a solid tone and let you get loud enough to be heard plus keep the softness in your voice..

1 minute ago, MDEW said:

Neutral, Curbing or Speech. Until you get to the Breaking point in pitch it doesn't matter which. I am not a coach, but keeping a bit of sobbing in the voice will help give you a solid tone and let you get loud enough to be heard plus keep the softness in your voice..

That's interesting. Thanks for your help. I've bothered you enough for today.  :D 

Like MDEW wrote, different methods define vocal modes from different perspectives. Overdrive, however, is to my knowledge only used in the CVT system. Edge and Curbing also exist in 4 Pillars of singing.

If there is a "most common mode" the title probably goes to Overdrive. Simply because Overdrive resembles what most people do in their "chest voice" and most of the singing people do in the low range will be Overdrive, except for the case that they sing very soft/quiet.

However, Overdrive is kind of cumbersome when it comes to the higher range of pitches because you will end up "yelling up" your chest voice. The traditional "passaggio" can in most cases be seen as a transition "away from Overdrive". If you go to the Estill system Overdrive would mostly resemble their mode "belting".

4 Pillars mostly focuses on the modes you can enter when you go "away from Overdrive", which would be Neutral, Curbing or Edge in ascending order of "heaviness". Neutral is a very light way of singing "head voice", similar to Countertenors or females in classical singing. Curbing is kind of middle ground during passaggio but gets a very winy and almost strained quality in the very high range, where Neutral is often the more powerful choice. Edge is the most heavy of the "head voice modes". It gives a piercing and loud sound quality, which some people would also consider "belting" or at least "belting tone in the head voice".

Thus, in terms of use you mostly have Overdrive in the low range. Overdrive in the higher range, espeically above G4 is rare, it is often considered "un-technical". In more aggressive/loud singing (like rock or opera) you will find Edge in the high range. In more soft/pop singing you will find more Curbing and Neutral.