How can I improve my C6 (high C)?

Rate this topic

Atlanta

Hi, I'm a 17 yr old female singer and I've recently been working on developing my upper register. 

The video is me singing my high C but it just sounds bleh to me. How can I make it stronger and what am I doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated!! I'm new to the forum so I hope this is ok for me to post as a thread. 

Oh also may I ask what is my voice type? My range is E3-C#6. I feel most comfortable singing between E4-G5 though. 

Here is the problem Atlanta, and Hello by the way.   Without any other context C6 is just a note. It is not going to have any extrinsic or intrinsic meaning or emotional value or any other characteristic to compare it with. 

What any singer needs is the foundation or fundamental controls in the "singing" zone. The mid notes where the identity of the singer is established. 

How you sing the mid notes will establish how you sing the high notes. Not only that but even if you can belt a C6....... sometimes the song calls for a soft tone on that note. Sometimes a fluty/falsetto tone and sometimes a harsh distorted tone.

I listened to some of your covers. You sound pretty good and have good pitch, expressive and all the good stuff. Still a c6 is just a note until put into context and even a somewhat nasty sounding C6 can be pretty awesome in the correct context.

Thank you and that makes sense. When you put it that way my question is pretty silly xD so sorry about that! For some reason me and my friends seem to think C6 is some special high note but you're right it's just a note and I'm gonna think of it that way from now on:)

I'm going to try singing a C6 in context in a song but not a lot of pop songs go up to C6. Maybe I should start by doing a run that goes up to it. 

I did not mean for your question to seem silly. There are a lot of things in singing that may seem obvious but are not.

Having an idea about how to produce a beautiful tone/pitch and doing it are two different things.

Are you training in any way? Following any kind of program? Improvement comes with doing vocal exercises(making funny sound for a reason) , listening back to your singing adjusting things that sound odd to you.

This does not mean that you do not sound good now, you do........everyone can improve and you still need to do things to maintain your voice over time.

Yeah I think that's what I was asking about, getting a high c with a more beautiful tone than what I was doing. But I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong. If I had a voice teacher I could ask but at the moment we can't afford lessons :'(

Definetly, I think I need definitely still need to improve more anyway and as for training I use a program called Singing Success. May I ask if you've heard of this program and what you think of it if you have? 

12 minutes ago, Atlanta said:

Yeah I think that's what I was asking about, getting a high c with a more beautiful tone than what I was doing. But I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong. If I had a voice teacher I could ask but at the moment we can't afford lessons :'(

Definetly, I think I need definitely still need to improve more anyway and as for training I use a program called Singing Success. May I ask if you've heard of this program and what you think of it if you have? 

Yes I have heard of Singing Success. Just realize that there are reasons for doing the exercises. Specific reasons for using Buh, Mum, Nay, Gee, Lip Bubbles and so forth.......I do not think that in the program they tell you exactly why they use these things and How to do them effectively. Each one targets a specific area and in singing All of these areas need to come into balance. Doing the exercises and then singing the way you always do will not lead to improvement. Adding elements of the exercises to your singing will lead to improvement.