• TMV World Member

Help me decide what my vocal fach is! I'm untrained and a 14 yo girl, so please ignore if my technique is nonexistent (which it is), and just help me get an estimated vocal fach, which I've been trying to determine for the past 8 months out of curiosity. My range is a rough G3-F6, sometimes more or sometimes less. People have told me that I'm a mezzo-soprano with whistle notes, but I really have no idea. 

You honestly won't know for sure until you train. While it's impressive that you're singing in whistle register, the rest of what you're singing is not placed well, and therefore is not a proper representation of what you're truly currently capable of. Also fach classification is meant for classical, opera, and choral, so they can quickly put you into a pre-written part. If you're learning for contemporary voice, it doesn't matter. Any way about it, you nbeed to be training, either through a course like The Four Pillars of Singing, or with a solid teacher - which tehre are plenty of here.

• Administrator

Moon,

Why are you interested in what your vocal fach may be? Not suggesting that it isn't interesting or good to know, but depending on what style of singing you want to pursue, it may not be as relevant as you think. Do you want to sing Opera and art songs?  Do you want to be a Classical singer? Before you answer that, understand that I don't mean as a hobby or to "try it" with other styles... I mean, do you want to commit your life to focusing only on Classical singing? if the answer is yes, then vocal fach has more relevance. If the answer is no, or not that serious about it... then vocal fach is far less relevant to worry about.

So, what say you?