Do you find different styles of singing allow you to reach different ranges?

Rate this topic

I find it funny how I might be  working on a piece with my teacher, and struggling with a part that only goes up to D4, and then I switch genres and I'm happily hitting G4 without difficulty. I almost want to classify things as 'rock high' vs. 'classical high' or 'Broadway high'. I had a piece of music that was killing me that centered around C#4 and D4 that kept going back into my throat, and I had to stop after a few minutes. But then I'm singing Karn Evil 9 by ELP, which is basically 100 G#4's and A4's in a row...and it's not a problem. Does anyone else find this to be the case? What is it about certain things that make them harder than others?

3 hours ago, PianoandGuitarguy said:

I find it funny how I might be  working on a piece with my teacher, and struggling with a part that only goes up to D4, and then I switch genres and I'm happily hitting G4 without difficulty. I almost want to classify things as 'rock high' vs. 'classical high' or 'Broadway high'. I had a piece of music that was killing me that centered around C#4 and D4 that kept going back into my throat, and I had to stop after a few minutes. But then I'm singing Karn Evil 9 by ELP, which is basically 100 G#4's and A4's in a row...and it's not a problem. Does anyone else find this to be the case? What is it about certain things that make them harder than others?

Throat shape, sound quality, using edge of cords instead of the body of the cords, emotional involvement and type. Although the basics are the same, Air flow, resonance, cord closure.......how you apply them are different for different sounds.

If you try to sound like Willy Nelson while keeping the Throat shape of Elvis or Tom Jones you are going to hurt yourself or will just not be able to do it. Willy nelson sound will take you higher easier but will sound thin and piercing in the upper register. To have the Tom Jones/Elvis...... closer to Classical sound requires MORE of the vocal folds to be vibrating.....Harder to maintain sound quality unless you make certain adjustments or have enough strength to start with. .