Rate this topic

JonJon

28 minutes ago, Electric said:

I'm wondering if it's maybe safer to scream WITH grit because it's added resistance above the glottis, sort of like a lip bubble is added resistance above the glottis.

probably a little safer AND easier I guess. Like u say, the slight back resistance gives u something to push against and also feedback, like a "tactile" reference etc.

Also, depending on what sound u want, u can just use your support to sort of 'throw' the sound (air pressure) up against your hard palate area for a nice bright sound. I dunno 2 much about screaming though, I dont think ive ever done it lol

To add to that video: The key to good grit and screaming is to not just learn how to create the distortion, but also how to relax it so much that it's as effortless (if not moreso) than singing clean. The "witches cackle" or "creaky door" I show in that video is only one way to get used to vocal fry. From there, I often have students start on a light-mass head voice note a fourth or fifth above their bridge, then add fry to it. That's great for learning how to amplify a fry or false cord scream. With grit, it's similar, but I focus a lot more on pulling the voice into the soft palate and bleeding the glottis by relaxing just right.

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, Electric said:

Damn the passage at 2:50 here is killer

I was really into them when I first heard them. Still like them etc. Im sort of love/hate on dudes voice. Sounds like he totally shot it at some point but he still sings hard lol. Love to see the laryngoscope pic

liked this song right from the start. Starts off smooth and light and he builds into a nice scream of course

Yeah that is a good song too! I’m not convinced his voice is shot I think he is just always pushing the boundary of what his voice can do. Like trying to carry massive amounts of chest up to D5-E5 and he can’t do it and it gets distorted instead. I really love his voice man 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

yeah, great singer but to reiterate for the nth time...its tough to sound like Ronnie lol

besides whatever natural vibe RobL has to his voice, it sounds to me like he is lifiting the soft palate and really trying to move the resonance way up high (out of the lower throat) to make sure he can get the range...which is exactly what id do too! lol Problem being it slightly loses some of that roundness that Dio gets 

• 1 year later...
Guest Rizzler

There's a reason that none of them sound like Ronnie. You're probably not a singer and so can't hear the differences but they are tremendous.  

• 8 months later...
On 10/2/2017 at 6:07 PM, kirkovin84 said:

My Theory regarding Ken Tamplin's compilation is he is a recording artist rather than a Live singer. There are multiple cuts even in that promotional video posted, who knows how many takes it took him to cut and paste the audio together. That probably applies to all the other YouTube guys posted as well. Live singers need to find the easiest possible way to do things so the you can get through multiple sets, hence why Dio sounds like he does. .i can almost garuntee Dio is not an overwhelmingly loud singer, just has great control and resonance. Imo there's a chance Tamplin is a shouter and would sound flat singing this material live.

I worked on Dio’s crew. That man was loud!! Sometimes when we there were several acts on the bill, Ronnie did his soundcheck last. They always had to pull his vocals back. And effortless. I definitely go with mutant. And unlike some singers he got better the longer he was on tour. They sometimes booked him 4 nights in a row. You don’t see that with other acts. 

7 hours ago, Kitten13 said:

I worked on Dio’s crew. That man was loud!! Sometimes when we there were several acts on the bill, Ronnie did his soundcheck last. They always had to pull his vocals back. And effortless. I definitely go with mutant. And unlike some singers he got better the longer he was on tour. They sometimes booked him 4 nights in a row. You don’t see that with other acts. 

:D I keep on my quest to understanding his vocals and this is great info thank you, it is what I heard from other people that worked with him, and what it sounds like too (it is on a different level).

Any cool stories about him? :)