Rate this topic

Not sure if this is the right area to be asking this or not.

For the onsets, with the "hum" onset, how is hum different than just humming. 
The way I picture it, is to not have a complete air seal around the lips. Basically by letting air out the side of the lips while resonating at the tip of the lips that are touching.

Am I anywhere near close?

Thanks,
Matrix.

Do you mean Tracking or Track & Release? That would be nasal buzzing on M, N, or NG. Or in the case of what we train with the most, M, which is humming and buzzing the lips. You would still seal the lips. What's different is the up and forward  resonance that makes the lips and sometimes teeth buzz/vibrate/tickle. That's a feeling you want even on higher notes, where the shape of your embouchure becomes important to keep a good lip buzz ( a hotizontal embouchure, even with the lips closed).

There is no difference between the "hum" and "humming". Wouldn't that be the same thing? In any case, in the book and in the video I instruct you to NOT hum. If humming means to have a windy and whoofy sound that is not what we want. This is why we refer to it as "Resonant Tracking" or "Buzzing". And... it can ONLY happen on the nasals; /m/, /n/, /ng/. Your lips should vibrate and tickle. If they are not, your probably humming, in which case its wrong.

Did you watch the introduction and demonstration videos for "Track & Track" and "Track & Release"?  If not, do so.

3 hours ago, Draven Grey said:

the up and forward  resonance that makes the lips and sometimes teeth buzz/vibrate/tickle.

Another reason why we don't "hum"... humming keeps the resonance in the throat or lower vocal tract. NOT GOOD. Buzzing seems to elevate the resonance more to the oral cavity, palate and pharyngeal regions = GOOD.