feedback hugely appreciated

• TMV World Legacy Member

good afternoon everyone, i am wondering if any of you would mind taking a listen to a couple of the songs i have displayed on my page and give me any feedback on them, possitive or negative i don't mind x i am about to make my first bookings and am quite nervous that my voice may not win over certain audiences. although the songs on my page are cover versions and maybe quite old, they will give you a general insight into what i sound like vocally.

many thanks in advance

broanna x

:):):)

Hi Broanna,

I had a listen - you have a lovely 'pure' quality to your voice, and this will broaden over time to become richer and more 'bedded in'.

Technically speaking, I'd suggest that you do some work on your bottom notes, as they tend to disappear (things like the word 'glory' in Wind Beneath...). This is easily addressed and would give more character to the bottom end of your range. I don't know if you work with a singing teacher and don't want to step on toes. If you'd like some tips, please email me and I'll be happy to help. Otherwise, you can always ask your coach to work with you on these minor points :-) This adjustment should be as simple as:

decrease the amount of breath being used as you descend, but

increase support energy, and

place your lowest notes forward (most people instinctively let the bottom notes drop into the chest).

The second thing I picked up is that you tend to flatten in pitch when singing in the upper part of your middle register, especially if you've changed up from your lower register. This is dead easy to fix if you know you're doing it :-)

Finally, I'd just suggest experimenting a bit more with tonal colour, as you tend to sing everything with basically the same colour. Your basic tone is great - but don't be afraid to step outside of the sound that you make naturally, and explore other ideas. I see that you like Bon Jovi as well as the 'clean' sounds of people like Mariah C. and Celine D. Your voice will let you sing with edge if you ask it nicely :-) Again, it's a question of working with your coach and exploring outside of the comfort zone.

As to your voice not being right for all of the people all of the time.............. that's true for everyone! People like different sounds, and what works for one set of ears doesn't work for another. You can only please some of the people some of the time, and be the very best singer that you're capable of being whilst pleasing that sector of the listening community. Don't try to please everyone - you'll end up distilling what you do and becoming a 'magnolia' singer :-) Be true to your own sound, know who you are / want to be as an artist and then work work work!

I hope that's constructive. Bear in mind that whoever we are, we are all just people with opinions :-) As before - please email me privately if you'd like more detail or tips. I'm happy to help if I can.

All the best!

Ria

www.vidla.org

Principal: Vocalist International Distance Learning Academy.

Enable. Empower. Educate.

thanks ria, i really appreciate you taking the time and offering such great feedback. i will be sending you an e mail in the next few days.

thanks again

Broanna x

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Broanna, I listened to "Show me Heaven", you do have a pretty voice, there good strength qualities that could be improved...

Do you hear any pitch issues of yourself When you sing The phrase "leave me breathless"near the end of the song...This is one phrase I could point to for you to hear a notable pitch problem.

Being pitchy on a recording tells me that you may not hear it yourself on playback to go back and correct...Unless you only had one shot to do it.

You sang beautiful in some areas where throughout the song you had some minor and some severe pitch problems.... some of the "run" sections fell off key.

I feel that you were more confident as the song rolled out; and your voice began strengthening as the song continued.

Were you wearing Headphones when recording this? Let me know what you can tell me about how you feel you did with this song. I am sure you are a delight to watch and hear live; its always a different energy playing out than recording..Sometimes recording can be a bit intimidating.

Byron

www.myspace.com/brtempleofsound
www.vamacoustics.com

you are right about the comments you made. i had just worked a 12 hour shift and recorded this at 9pm so was not in the best shape or frame of mind. this is the one song i cannot bear to listen to but do intend somewhere in the future to re record.

thanks for your feedback its greatly appreciated

broanna x

Hi Broanna, I listened to "Show me Heaven", you do have a pretty voice, there good strength qualities that could be improved...

Do you hear any pitch issues of yourself When you sing The phrase "leave me breathless"near the end of the song...This is one phrase I could point to for you to hear a notable pitch problem.

Being pitchy on a recording tells me that you may not hear it yourself on playback to go back and correct...Unless you only had one shot to do it.

You sang beautiful in some areas where throughout the song you had some minor and some severe pitch problems.... some of the "run" sections fell off key.

I feel that you were more confident as the song rolled out; and your voice began strengthening as the song continued.

Were you wearing Headphones when recording this? Let me know what you can tell me about how you feel you did with this song. I am sure you are a delight to watch and hear live; its always a different energy playing out than recording..Sometimes recording can be a bit intimidating.

Byron

hi robert, the link to my page is as follows

http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/Broanna

thanks

broanna x

Broanna, I have been wanting to come back here and listen to your songs. Do you have a link to your profile page at TMV so that I can hear your tunes?