Echo on the performance

Rate this topic

Deleteduser

hi there

i bought a microphone for singing practices, and i just realized adding some echo makes my voice blend to the music that i am practicing 

,i was curious,is  it normal to add echo while singing practices ? or not?  in shows like the voice do they add echo while singers performing as a competition ? 

For practice its best to hear yourself dry.

On the shows, you hear compressor, equalizer, de-esser, reverb and auto-tune, the whole effect chain.

Reverb (the echo as you said) is necessary to make it sound more natural, to sound like you are singing in a room of some sort. But should be very subtle, never upfront.

• Administrator

No, do not add delay or "echo" to your practicing, but it is ok to do so when you are working on your songs. Do it lightly. Set the rate of the delay to the tempo of the song as well so that it adds an additional element to the pulse and groove of the song. If you set the delay to a tempo that does not fit the song, it can create noise. Delay is a rhythmic entity, so use it as such. 

If your quarter beats are 100 BPM ( beats per minute ) , then it is advisable to set the delay rate at 100 BPM. Now your delay is not conflicting with your song and actually adding to the groove.

Anyways, don't use it when practicing. When practicing, just use a little bit of reverb, thats fine.