Jaime Vendera "Raise Your Voice"

Rate this topic

5min wonder

Jaime Vendera.
This guy is a pro singer and a vocal coach and this is the guy who keeps appearing on TV breaking a glass with his voice.
And he writes books as well and one of his books is called "Raise Your Voice", and apparently it tells you how to do it.

What a shame he is to busy making too much money from the TV to bother answering emails inquiring about his lessons for $150/ hr. 

From the few times I've talked with him, Jaime seems like a really cool guy. Being a teacher with products and other projects myself, I imaging he's not too busy with TV, but rather just has a very full schedule. I recently maxed out for lessons, myself. However, I've also never had an issue getting Jaime to reply to me. 

Why throw accusations towards Jaime with your first post? Did you have a question or something to add to the conversation?

@Gsoul82, Jaime did that on Mythbusters. It's also something that's apparently something opera singers do for fun, according to my friend that used to tour doing opera. All it takes is finding the resonant pitch of the glass and then the right decibel level on that pitch.

8 hours ago, 5min wonder said:

Jaime Vendera.
This guy is a pro singer and a vocal coach and this is the guy who keeps appearing on TV breaking a glass with his voice.
And he writes books as well and one of his books is called "Raise Your Voice", and apparently it tells you how to do it.

What a shame he is to busy making too much money from the TV to bother answering emails inquiring about his lessons for $150/ hr. 

one email answered or not answered isnt going to affect your singing that much

Hello 2 cats in a dust bin.

We are deeply moved by your difficulties with your email and we can only imagine how terrible it must have been for you. But, this forum is about vocal technique, so despite all your suffering, if you open more threads about unrelated subjects, you will be ip banned.

Have a nice new year :)

• Administrator

Boo! That’s not fair. I’ve known Jaimie for over ten years and the truth is, he is the kindest guy in the business. He is just super busy. Voice coaches are excessively busy because we don’t only teach. There is so much that has to be done behind the scenes, you don’t have a clue...

Lastly, for the record... being a voice coach, even One with some amount of fame and notoriety does not make you a lot of money. The truth is, for the amount of work and BS you have to put up with ( such as forum posts like this ),  it’s barely worth it. Seriously, it’s not “so” glamorous.

Lastly, being on TV does not mean your making lots of money. My guess is Jaimie gets a flight, a hotel and a warm meal, not much more for performing his stunt.

I bet Tamplin is rolling in the money.  He is living in Hawaii now and has around 100,000 followers on Facebook.  He is an exceptional singer so I am sure that really gives him a big boost in selling his product.  I think Seth, Brett and Ron Anderson do well too.  I find them doing real well  for some other reason  than their singing because none of them have a great voice like Tamplin to promote their product.  They have some good students and staff teachers who sing well so I am sure that helps.  

On 12/31/2017 at 9:35 PM, Draven Grey said:

From the few times I've talked with him, Jaime seems like a really cool guy. Being a teacher with products and other projects myself, I imaging he's not too busy with TV, but rather just has a very full schedule. I recently maxed out for lessons, myself. However, I've also never had an issue getting Jaime to reply to me. 

Why throw accusations towards Jaime with your first post? Did you have a question or something to add to the conversation?

@Gsoul82, Jaime did that on Mythbusters. It's also something that's apparently something opera singers do for fun, according to my friend that used to tour doing opera. All it takes is finding the resonant pitch of the glass and then the right decibel level on that pitch.

It was not meant to offend anyone, infact it was a general statement regarding teachers, how a lot of them don't bother replying to enquiries about there services. Since he did not reply to my email the question was "will his book explain how this is done"

8 hours ago, Felipe Carvalho said:

Hello 2 cats in a dust bin.

We are deeply moved by your difficulties with your email and we can only imagine how terrible it must have been for you. But, this forum is about vocal technique, so despite all your suffering, if you open more threads about unrelated subjects, you will be ip banned.

Have a nice new year :)

I'm sorry but I think you have the wrong thing/ person hear!

1 hour ago, 5min wonder said:

It was not meant to offend anyone, infact it was a general statement regarding teachers, how a lot of them don't bother replying to enquiries about there services. Since he did not reply to my email the question was "will his book explain how this is done"

Yes, it's in the book, but it's not difficult to explain. Regardless, his book is great.

Essentially, you need the strength and coordination for good resonance and proper amplification. You can find the pitch the glass resonates at by tapping the edge of it. Then, match the pitch with your voice and amplify it to over 100 decibels. With solid training for range, resonance, and amplification behind you, it's not very difficult to do.

I highly suggest you check out the training program, The Four Pillars of Singing. I find it much more helpful and comprehensive than a book, and it includes a book too. Jaime's book is great too, but not nearly as comprehensive as that course.

2 hours ago, 5min wonder said:

You sound like a serial pest. Probably the reason no one replies.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, 5min wonder said:

Possible. We get some strange eggs in here sometimes. 

I know Jaime has been busy the last few months.....I just got an email from him or his staff(if he has one) about his latest projects and an upcoming live broadcast event. 

You have to realize that people who are somewhat in the public eye get way more emails than the average person or business for that matter. A missed email is more likely to happen. And to be more fair....using another coaches website to dis another coach is uncalled for. If you have a complaint about Jaime or question post it on his website.

12 hours ago, Draven Grey said:

Yes, it's in the book, but it's not difficult to explain. Regardless, his book is great.

Essentially, you need the strength and coordination for good resonance and proper amplification. You can find the pitch the glass resonates at by tapping the edge of it. Then, match the pitch with your voice and amplify it to over 100 decibels. With solid training for range, resonance, and amplification behind you, it's not very difficult to do.

I highly suggest you check out the training program, The Four Pillars of Singing. I find it much more helpful and comprehensive than a book, and it includes a book too. Jaime's book is great too, but not nearly as comprehensive as that course.

So I take it you have read his book great! Did you find much information in the book about breaking wine glasses with his voice, things like which glasses are the easiest to brake and which have the lowest frequency?

I have tapped several different types of wine glasses and using my pitch reader tool they all read C6, now unfortunately I don't have the ability to hit that note. But I had one lesson with a Guy called Eli Prinsen for Lakeside, Florida who helps people expand range on both ends. He has had me train on doing a siren exercise from my chest voice starting off on AW and climbing to OW and then climbing high as I can the OO, and pulling the chest voice right up into full voice or belt or call (what ever you call it). And he also had me do lip trials on a siren as high as I can go because he believes this will increase my range upwards. And I do all this in from of a candle so I can clock I am not using too much air. You see Eli showed me a guitar and explained that the bottom string is large lower pitch and uses more air then the top string which is high in pitch and thin and dose not use a lot of air and this is how he said the human voice works like a pyramid, the higher note you sing the less air you should use. And that is where I was going wrong before, I would sing C5 and go to D E F G and every time I would climb another note my voice would get louder and louder until I was screening G5 and could not climb any higher. And that is where I was going wrong using too much air the higher I climbed the notes.

I can not say I have noticed much or any improvement doing Eli's exercises but it is early days now. But Eli answered my email straight away and he was very professional and all though I have only had one lesson from him he is one of the better teaches I have had and I highly recommend him. Although he said he can train higher and lower notes he did not say he could train one to break a glass with there voice and I don't know if his method will be enough for the volume. Infact it was Eli who recommended me Jaime Vendera so I followed it up and went through his web site. Now I would imagine each teacher has there own different methods for acheving all this.

Now that course you have linked that you recommend, is there anything in it about breaking wine glasses or is there anything in it about how to reach such high notes with such volume?

7 hours ago, MDEW said:

I know Jaime has been busy the last few months.....I just got an email from him or his staff(if he has one) about his latest projects and an upcoming live broadcast event. 

You have to realize that people who are somewhat in the public eye get way more emails than the average person or business for that matter. A missed email is more likely to happen. And to be more fair....using another coaches website to dis another coach is uncalled for. If you have a complaint about Jaime or question post it on his website.

I am please to hear that this guy is not some complete.... But I can't express it enough in words how frustrated I am at the amount of vocal coach I have tried emailing, left voice mail on there answer phones and no return call or nothing! Now in any other business in this day and age that is unheard of and most people would bend over backwards at the chance of a 50 buck quick sale nowadays. They must be making a lot of money if they don't need new customers. But a courtesy reply like sorry we are fully booked  up at the moment would do!

I have read all of Jamies web site now, just an email address business address and phone number. infact I even checked out some of what the google search engine had to say about him. And found this later bit rather interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4jdGf3RzCs
How he did it on the Mythbusters. You can see him singing the OO valve with his mouth in a circular position, and this is not how Eli told me to do it, he said to drop the jaw wide open. But more interesting the video states he broke the glass at 556 hrtz and 105 decibels. Now 556 hrtz is a 5C sharp http://www.liutaiomottola.com/formulae/freqtab.htm which is half the frequency of a C6 and since all the wine glasses I tested had a ring at C6 I do not understand what is now going on, maybe the TV show have deliberately lied about it or maybe he had a special glass that broke at C5? But with out being able to contact him I don't know how I will find out.

I do not believe Jaime has a "Step by step, How to break wine glasses with your voice" section in his books.  That has nothing to do with singing and sounding good while doing it.

I would believe that the thinner the glass, the easier it would break. About the C6 as apposed to the C5......They are common in resonance.......If you strike the C4 key on an acoustic piano and allow movement on all the strings, the C3, C5 and C6 strings will also make sound.....Vibrate.  Finding the note that makes the glass vibrate is part of the trick. Then you need to focus the sound onto the glass and keep it strong long enough for the glass to break.

• Administrator
On 1/1/2018 at 2:07 PM, Rufus Rufus said:

I bet Tamplin is rolling in the money.  He is living in Hawaii now and has around 100,000 followers on Facebook.  He is an exceptional singer so I am sure that really gives him a big boost in selling his product.  I think Seth, Brett and Ron Anderson do well too.  I find them doing real well  for some other reason  than their singing because none of them have a great voice like Tamplin to promote their product.  They have some good students and staff teachers who sing well so I am sure that helps.  

Sort of funny how a lot of FB likes and YouTube views makes people think your making big money ... Why? Explain why and how that equates to making big money? If you like a page or subscribe to a YouTube channel, how often is that behavior a signal that your going to spend money? Almost never... and last time I checked, living in Hawaii doesn’t mean your rich.

Now I did think Ken has done well, but it also know how this business works and how it doesn’t work. FB likes and YouTube suns barely mean squat. That’s not how we make money.

Also, from what I understand a lot of the likes and views are paid for. You can pay services to illegitimately increase your likes and views. I’ve nebwr done it, but I know that a lot of people do and heard that Ken did. I dont know if it’s true and I don’t care. I’m not even sure it’s questionable to do so. The f you pay for a service you should get what you paid for.  I never wanted to spend money on that.  It’s sort of gaming the system. But more importantly... I give someone $200 and they increase my subscriptions from a sweat shop in China that don’t give a shit about what I’m doing?  What good does that do me except make people think Im more interesting to the public then I actually am... big whoop... it’s disingenuous and my ego doesn’t need a lie to be validated.

• Administrator

From a typically reliable source that will remain unnamed. 

“...Felicia's 500k subscribers. Most people do a video on receiving their silver YouTube play button for reaching 100k. No such silver play button video from youtube. Ken neither. Why? Because they know they didn't really earn those subscribers, they bought them”.

Rob, I don't know for sure but I would assume a lot of FB likes or followers  and Youtube views would lead statistically to a certain amount/percentage of voice course sales and private lessons per month.   It is similar to how advertisers pay for tv or internet time.  If the numbers didn't show results they would not continue paying for the slots. Ken continues making videos so it must be working pretty good.

Ken may be paying for views or likes but it would surprise me if he does.  He is such a good vocalist I really believe his singing ability can't help but produce good sales.  I mean, if you want to sing great and Ken can do it, and says he can teach you to do it, people will take the bait. 

This is just my opinion and I could be wrong.  You have been doing this a long time so I am sure you know way more about this than me.  Peace.