How's my pitch? and other things....

• TMV World Legacy Member

I already know what I think of this performance....I'd like to hear what others think. Referring to the timeline of the track would be helpful (example- "the sustained note at 2:21 needs work.")

Thanks in advance.

A gentleman never talks about his tailor.
                                                   -Nick Cave

• Administrator

Hello Hobbit, good to hear you again.

- I like the lovely color of your voice. Sort of a sweet, husky tenor... nice.

- You need to work on tighting up your cues. There are some places that are not on the cue, that shouldn't be missed. Carelessness. For example :51, your late.

- 1:26 . on this bridge, I would coach you to have more compression and amplify your vocal folds more... remove the windy tone for a more assertive connected sound.

- 1:39 - 1:57... same thing... I would remove the windy tone on this bridge... a more connected vocal folds, amplify more, sound more "confident" in the character... but I still love the color of your voice.

Is this an original? If so, congratulations... I think its really cool...  It sort of reminds me of the soundtrack from "Into The Wild"... some tasty Eddie Vedder tunes.

Thanks for the reply Robert. Those are really helpful comments.

The breathy tone is definitely my default and while it has it's place, I agree that I should have transitioned into a more present, assertive tone midway through the song. I used to only have a breathy tone and it has always been a "safe" place to sing from. There's something stabilizing about that posture for me. I have, over time, managed to cultivate other tones with more closure and resonance but they are less familiar so I rarely reach for those levers.

As for the cues- I think you're right about the one at :51. I think the delivery was just late and that could be seen as an oversight. Having said that, I do have a tendency to let my phrasing sit a little bit behind the beat. It might be from years of listening to Zeppelin but it's definitely something I do a lot. Sometimes I think I should try to be more deliberate about my phrasing...kind of along the lines of Liam Gallagher or something. That would probably help contribute to an overall sense of assertiveness.

The main source of paranoia/self consciousness for me over the past few years has been pitch/intonation. I know there was a time when I couldn't hear when I was a little under/over a note. I think I do now, but I don't always trust my ear. There are a couple of spots in this tune that sound a little out to me. Nothing crazy but still......

I did play the melody on a piano along with the finished vocal and there were definitely some areas that rubbed a little. Sometimes I wonder if doing that sort of thing is too stiff of a measure. Since I've gotten into some ear training I've realized that a lot of my favorite music from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's have vocals with less than perfect intonation. Anyway....

Yes...it's an original. I appreciate the supportive comments.

-Nick Cave

Thanks Draven! What do you mean by "dynamics in power"?

-Nick Cave