Raw voice excerpt - voice type and good material for me??

Rate this topic

PianoandGuitarguy

So, nothing fancy, but I made a quick recording of my voice on my phone, and wanted to get feedback on my voice type, as well as some thoughts.

E2 -E5:  raw voice.mp3   my E4 sounds nice, but above that I'm strangling a cat. I can, and have, hit high notes better than that sometimes, but I wanted to just let it all hang out and do a really basic raw sound and show where I'm at.

I've spent most of my life assuming I was a baritone, and the lowest octave is the one I talk and am most comfortable in. But even on this recording I can hear how my voice really brightens and gets big in the upper registers. So, once I learn how to use them better, maybe that's more my thing.

My teacher thinks once I get a handle on things, I'll have Bb4, B4, and C5 in my chest voice with a nice sound to them. But although I want to be able to sing things like Iron Maiden and Dream Theater, it's been suggested my voice might be too heavy for rock tenor stuff.

If anyone has any suggestions of songs to try, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

30 minutes ago, Gsoul82 said:

I remember you posting before. Why can’t your teacher give you a voice type? You don’t trust him/her?

I was curious what people here heard. Both here and on sites like TheRangePlace, they tend to call singers Baritones quicker than classical singers would. Eric Adams of Manowar, for example, is called a baritone, because he has some weight to his sound, and goes down to A2 or so. An opera person I think would call him squarely a tenor. We can got into how rock singers produce the sound a little differently, and that has something to do with it too, but I think in general you have to have a much darker, heavier sound in opera-land before you get called a baritone, instead of a lower tenor.

With me, for example, I have an E2, and with some mixing my low range could sound bigger, but at best I'm being called a Baritenor for pop purposes, and would likely settle into one of a low tenor fachs if I went the opera route, although opera people tend to wait a long time while a voice really finds itself before they are ready to be certain about it. It's still possible I would wind up singing as a lyric tenor (Pavarotti, for all his hugeness of sound, was a lyric tenor).

So basically, I wanted to see what 'rock ears' heard.

2 hours ago, PianoandGuitarguy said:

I was curious what people here heard. Both here and on sites like TheRangePlace, they tend to call singers Baritones quicker than classical singers would. Eric Adams of Manowar, for example, is called a baritone, because he has some weight to his sound, and goes down to A2 or so. An opera person I think would call him squarely a tenor. We can got into how rock singers produce the sound a little differently, and that has something to do with it too, but I think in general you have to have a much darker, heavier sound in opera-land before you get called a baritone, instead of a lower tenor.

With me, for example, I have an E2, and with some mixing my low range could sound bigger, but at best I'm being called a Baritenor for pop purposes, and would likely settle into one of a low tenor fachs if I went the opera route, although opera people tend to wait a long time while a voice really finds itself before they are ready to be certain about it. It's still possible I would wind up singing as a lyric tenor (Pavarotti, for all his hugeness of sound, was a lyric tenor).

So basically, I wanted to see what 'rock ears' heard.

Oh, I’m probably the only guy here among everyone else who isn’t a Rock guy, lol. 

All I know is I just went about 7 years thinking I was a baritone and am now being told I’m a tenor. For me, I was automatically singing with a very darkened sound because I was trying to imitate certain other baritones. It happened pretty naturally.

I would just say that your best bet would be to have a skilled coach, who could hear you while your voice undergoes a test of sorts and they can hear you in different contexts. I say this because I showed people here a clip a few times and it seems unless it’s utterly blatantly obvious (a very deep voice or a very high voice),  it’s not clear from one clip.