Vocal distortion and semi occluded phonation

Rate this topic

Electric

So today I figured out how to do false fold distortion on top of my singing voice. What surprised me is that it feels almost easier than singing clean! It actually felt like a warm up and singing clean was easier afterwards! A lot of support work.

I have this idea, is false fold distortion (overlay) not a semi-occluded phonation? A supra-glottic resistance which would take pressure OFF the voice in the same way a lip trill would?

With distortion you have : More support, More Airflow(more air bleed through at the true folds), and a more relaxed throat( the distortion is caused by tissue moving, cannot be done when the tissue is tight).  

"The false vocal folds lie above the true vocal folds, and the space between them is known as the ventricle."  The space between the false vocal folds and how tight they are held does make a difference.  In the case of Distortion, you have a smaller gap but the false folds are not tightly held and are allowed to oscillate freely. Your distortion may also be the tissue of the Soft Palate vibrating.  

I feel like when singing clean all I have is my support and my vocal fold compression to keep things in balance, but with distortion it's like a lid on top of my wind pipes that won't let me sing without strong support, and it's really hard to overblow because the support has to be so good to get any sound at all

5 hours ago, Electric said:

I feel like when singing clean all I have is my support and my vocal fold compression to keep things in balance, but with distortion it's like a lid on top of my wind pipes that won't let me sing without strong support, and it's really hard to overblow because the support has to be so good to get any sound at all

From this description, it sounds like you're either pushing way too hard or don't quite have the right placement yet. But, not hearing you, it's hard to say. What pitches are you doing this on? Are you only doing distortion (like Fry or False Cord Screams), or overlay distortion on top of singing a pitch? I got the impression you're doing the latter, but want to be clear. Also, are you grunting it out (from the top) or opening/bleeding more air? Can you post a sample of singing a melody that goes from cheat voice to above your bridge?

I'm working on two courses right now, one for grit and one for screaming, with Robert as a guest instructor. I'll definitely post about it once it's ready next sometime next month. Until then, I'll do what I can to answer any of your questions about it here.

As for being a semi-occluded phonation, I don't think it fits the definition, since there's no back pressure happening. Nasal buzzing, partially closing the lips, occluding with a straw, etc, all cause pressure to push back against the glottis, tilt it forward (twang), and balance glottal and sub glottal pressure. Overlay Distortion is an effect placed on top of a singing voice, wand is not semi-occluded.

https://thevocaliststudio.com/vocal-warm-ups-the-semi-occluded-phonation-their-application-to-singing/