Karakuri Pierrot - Japanese Vocaloid Cover

• Review My Singing Membership

Hello. I've never had any sort of vocal training and so I believe that I've picked up a lot of bad habits and have a lot of things to improve upon, I just need to know where to begin. I used to cover japanese songs on youtube but quit after 3 years because although I love singing as a hobby, I grew frustrated with myself because I wasn't improving and I didn't like how I sounded. I want to start over, but not unless I improve, so detailed feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Raw vocals: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YBvc0ymH9emf7uvi7JNQCz7WhtLVvLJT/view?usp=drivesdk

@ReiKoko
Beautiful song. Good choice. I think your voice would open a quite a lot with training. The issue is that you're currently singing from a speech position, which is keeping your from resonating well. Your pitch is on, but your resonance is not. Speech vowels and singing vowels are in very different locations. Speech vowels and words tend to start in the throat and the add sound colors from there and up (bottom up), where as singing is top down. It's essentially like learning a whole new accent, perhaps even a new language. Knowing how to resonant in the soft palate and out from there will definitely smooth out your voice, and bring out your true singing voice.

For instance, the part where you sing...

It was an accident and it was fate
I knew I would have better not to know it
I touched your warmth
By your smile, by your motion I would be broken

...Your lower notes are dampening/dropping your larynx and completely changing your sound color. It can't be helped when you're in speech mode. However, place a finger on your bottom lip and sing "up and over" that finger, trying to place your vowel resonance in the front of your soft palate, rather than in your throat. The difference should be apparent immediately. 

I highly encourage you to check out The Four Pillars of Singing. It's by far the best singing course out there, and an amazing deal too.

• Review My Singing Membership

Thanks, I really needed this. May i ask how long the course will be discounted for? I'm currently out of the country and won't be home for another few weeks. 

• Administrator

Hello Reikoko,

Nice work... 

You need brighter harmonics in your formant tunings. These will be amplified more if you lift your soft palate more and sob harder into your singing. You certainly have a capable voice!  But you need training to take it to another level. Draven is correct, these phonetics are too speech like... you need practice learning how to articulate ( consonants and vowels/resonance ) for singing, not speaking. You simply can't "push" speaking phonetics into singing, especially the higher you go. It is a problem that everyone deals with.

Train your voice.

My training program is $49. It is permanently at a discount. It is way under priced.

Purchase HERE >>>

... and thats all there is to it. You have a lot of potential, but if you want to get better, you will have to commit to training and get more serious. If you choose not to, then this is about as good as you are going to get. The choice is up to you.

Thanks for your help Draven...