Sign in to follow this  
mrmulti

Can Vibrato be Learned?

Rate this topic

I always assumed I did not have a vibrato.  But  I know people have control over it, and can choose to sing with or without vibrato?  Are there techniques to learn to control it?  I just realized yesterday that when I goof around and sing like a lounge singer, I have a vibrato! 

I have been singing my own originals for years, and since I am not yet famous, I figure it has a lot to do with my voice, although for now I would like to know if others have taught themselves to use vibrato.

Good question. A lot of singing resources online claim it is a automatic response when relaxing into a held note. Others say to have to learn it by deliberately modifying a note's pitch similar to vibrato on a guitar (which is actually tremelo I think?) until it becomes consistent. And yet others says that tremolo is dangerous and can cause wear on vocal chords and it should come from the diaphragm.. Probably more confusing than vocal registers :(

I haven't helped have I? :lol:

On 5/8/2018 at 12:39 PM, mrmulti said:

I always assumed I did not have a vibrato.  But  I know people have control over it, and can choose to sing with or without vibrato?  Are there techniques to learn to control it?  I just realized yesterday that when I goof around and sing like a lounge singer, I have a vibrato! 

I have been singing my own originals for years, and since I am not yet famous, I figure it has a lot to do with my voice, although for now I would like to know if others have taught themselves to use vibrato.

I can only guess what you mean by singing like a lounge singer. But, my guess would be a more open throat and a lowered larynx(voice box) and slightly relaxed delivery.Sort of like a cartoon character of Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra and Bobby Darin.  Along with good support all these things lead to a good vibrato.

You can learn to control that. TheHopefulBaritone is correct in his statements also. I am not sure about vibrato being dangerous, maybe if it is forced or the singer relies to much on vibrato to sing "In tune".

The automatic vibrato happens when things are in balance....Airflow, vocal fold tension, slight dampening of the larynx, air pressure above and below the vocal folds. 

To be clear on another aspect....Vibrato is the pitch needed and a higher pitch on the second note.  Tremolo (which is bad) is the pitch needed and a lower second note. This usually happens when the singers voice is getting weak and can not keep a steady pitch.

Another interesting note...... Opera singers and others who "Sing" fast phrases(Coloratura and such)  Use the Vibrato to their advantage and sing a succession of notes. Not just the normal 2 note alternating vibrato.