How likely is it that is suffer from Vocal Nodules?

Rate this topic

So, i haven't noticed any changes in my normal voice. I can still sing the lower notes the way i could sing them before. However when i'm trying to sing high, my notes begin to sound hoarse a lot of the times. Now i'm wondering if this is the result of an overuse of the voice, lack of experience with high notes or if this actually might be a sign of vocal damage? I only started experiencing with higher notes at the beginning of the years. i did do a relative vocal rest for a few days, it improved the issue a bit, but i'm still disappointed. Should i just try a longer vocal rest in this situation or should i just keep on singing?

Definitely go see an ENT (look for a laryngologist in your area, as not all ENTs have experience with the speaking and singing voice). If you are in NYC I can give you a recommendation for one - otherwise a Google search would definitely find one for you (there are actually far less ENTs with a specialization in laryngology than you think). The doctor will be able to tell you what type of damage (if any) you have on your vocal cords? Are you male or female?

If it is any consolation, males are far less prone to vocal cord nodules than females, though of course it is possible. The fact that resting has allowed you to improve a little bit sounds to me as though there might be some underlying swelling on the vocal folds that you might want to take care of - I would stop singing for at least two to three weeks while hydrating yourself and get yourself to a doctor before beginning to sing again-- this is especially important because you could be speaking with bad technique as well. Regardless, the doctor will tell you and hopefully will be able to refer you to an SLP for some voice therapy.

10 hours ago, liteacher said:

Definitely go see an ENT (look for a laryngologist in your area, as not all ENTs have experience with the speaking and singing voice). If you are in NYC I can give you a recommendation for one - otherwise a Google search would definitely find one for you (there are actually far less ENTs with a specialization in laryngology than you think). The doctor will be able to tell you what type of damage (if any) you have on your vocal cords? Are you male or female?

If it is any consolation, males are far less prone to vocal cord nodules than females, though of course it is possible. The fact that resting has allowed you to improve a little bit sounds to me as though there might be some underlying swelling on the vocal folds that you might want to take care of - I would stop singing for at least two to three weeks while hydrating yourself and get yourself to a doctor before beginning to sing again-- this is especially important because you could be speaking with bad technique as well. Regardless, the doctor will tell you and hopefully will be able to refer you to an SLP for some voice therapy.

We've been telling him that since his first post. I think he simply wants validation for not being able to sing well. I know that sounds harsh, but you can only give the same answer to someone so many times before realizing they're not actually wanting to hear a real answer.

• 3 weeks later...

By all means take a look at your stomach man. I thought I had nodules because my range had gone to hell but turns out it was larynx erosion from acid reflux all along. Treatment not only made my body functions better and my throat healthier, it also gave my normal voice back.

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2018 at 4:58 AM, liteacher said:

Wow, off topic, but how do you speak with correct technique? I've heard that before but never looked into it but I am curious.