Manowar - King of Kings

Rate this topic

Man, awesome cover! as everyone has said, an uncanny mimicking of Adams' tone. Crazy. I have a question though, which you may be qualified to answer based on your excellent reproduction of his sound... His bridging.... Listening to his voice it's so hard to tell where he bridges to head (late or early..?) I suspect early, and he just has full, killer low head tones. What's your take on it? one could be fooled into thinking he takes chest way high... but I suspect not.

Nick_D, Jugulator, thanks for your words, it means a lot.

Nick, basing on this particular song I'd say he bridges around G4, but as you've noticed, his head tones are so meaty that it's often hard to tell the difference. It get's more obvious when he get's higher, like around D5, then it becomes less 'operatic', and starts to sound more like a primal scream, very bright and distorted. It's like a totally different approach for him I suppose. But for the normal high singing in his style the crucial thing, besides bridging, is the correct choice of vowels. At least that's my experience.

One thing I've noticed about his screams is that they are almost speech level when it comes to volume!

Jugulator, come on, upload a cover of "Jugulator":cool:

Man, it's been a while since I visted this thread. And I must have seemed a but petulant before. (I would have used stronger language to describe myself but I have been informed that my "profanity" was a problem.)

Jonpall, thanks for being diplomatic. And thanks for linking in your speaking voice. And I stand corrected. You do have a speaking voice similar to Axl's and that would also explain why you can get a sound so similar to his, something I could never do.

I have never been a bass or baritone and never will be. Be that as it may, especially in the mornings, I speak with low volume, somewhere between A2 and C3. But in singing, my full volume without mic, starts around E3. And that's just the way it is, after a long time of singing.

Jonpall, you beat yourself up too much, as I have said before. Granted, you, like I, have no problems admitting our weaknesses or spots we wish could improve. But you are a far better singer than yourself give credit for. By the way, even as an icelander, you sound american when you speak English. Interesting. I know that Icelandic (I don't know your cultural name for it) is considered a natural treasure and not to be americanized, so many people in Iceland speak English in order to not denigrate the native language. But it is interesting that your english usage and speech pattern is american, rather than british. Just a trivial interest, nothing big or important about that, even though Iceland, which I would have thought as scandinavian is actually considered european. Again, trivial stuff. Seriously, though, you sound as if you were from California or Iowa, two places that have relatively no accent.

DJ, rock on with your self. Blessings and God's speed.

Ron, my slight American accent probably comes from watching the original Star Wars movies too much as a kid ;) Or basically lots of American tv. I'm not sure Star Wars would have worked with everyone speaking with British accents, but I did once see a Portuguese dubbed version and it was quite an experience hearing Darth Vader express himself that day. We don't have any dubbed tv here. And no igloos, contrary to some belief.

Ron, my slight American accent probably comes from watching the original Star Wars movies too much as a kid ;) Or basically lots of American tv. I'm not sure Star Wars would have worked with everyone speaking with British accents, but I did once see a Portuguese dubbed version and it was quite an experience hearing Darth Vader express himself that day. We don't have any dubbed tv here. And no igloos, contrary to some belief.

Now, that's funny. Besides not needing an igloo in the modern age, I figure you would need something more along the lines of clothes that resists ash, considering that big volcano you've got over there. Iceland, the land of Heaven and Hell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...