looking for feedback

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi -I'm a newbie here and would like some feedback on the tunes I have posted - a ballad, a sorta dance tune and an out & out rocker - I did these songs in my home studio......

1 Until The End of Time - a sappy love song (I play all the tracks and vocals)

2 You Don't Think Twice - rock with a dance beat (I play all the tracks and vocals)

3 Wanted to Believe - a straight-ahead rocker ( just vocals on this one)

Thanks in advance!!!

http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/StevenGardner

"You don't think twice" - Your voice reminds me of Phil Collins, you definitely have song writing skills and good vocal skills overall. Your voice has a unique quality and it is interesting...Try adding backup vocals in different octaves during the chorus...The bass mix at least on my computer seems a little much...I have a great sound system; must be the way you mixed...

My only critique is that I think your top range flattens out a bit when you say "think twice" sound boarder line straining to me...

"Until the end of time" Better recording...you sound great in the beginning, it’s like I am listening to a different singer...When the song builds and you are using a higher range; this is when the song loses its steam...to me you need to work on the fundamental diaphragm breathing; your voice should be coming from below your chest...It may just be a confidence thing...not sure; but you need to work on fattening up your range. You are not pitchy; but when you hit your high range; its flat sound gives it a pitchy quality.

I do think that you have a really cool voice, especially in the lower register; work on your high register; I suggest seeing a vocal coach for a couple sessions...maybe see if one of the coaches’ on this forum offer an online Skype lesson...I know of one www.thevoiceconnection.com

"Wanted To believe" Is a awesome song; vocally it’s not pro enough or does not do the song justice; with some work you can be great... I think you are exploring with your voice right now...cool back up fade...you just need to sound more full and round sounding...This song seems semi strain, not too much; but I think what has happened is you found a range that is comfortable where you are not necessarily pushing too hard; but have a higher range..You need to develop this range further and develop a deeper stronger tone quality without sounding UN natural.

www.myspace.com/brtempleofsound
www.vamacoustics.com

Thanks so much for giving a listen and the critique. I do find myself straining a bit in the higher registers and I do tend to sing from the throat during the recording process. I have to find a way to duplicate my 'live' voice during the recording process - that's where I struggle right now. I can hit the higher notes when singing in a live situation without any strain - It seems I don't sing with my full voice while recording and I have to find a way to change that aspect.

Though I do find myself 'straining' on purpose to deliver angst and emotion, depending on the tune.

Your Phil Collins comparison is not the first time I've been told that. Funny though, I just don't hear it myself. Not that I'm complaining - good company to be in :)

My harmony skills are non-existent and I end up double & triple tracking in higher registers/octaves to give the illusion of harmony on the back up vocals.

"Wanted to Believe" is really my first attempt at a good hard rock type song. I'm still working on that one as I feel the song has potential to be much more than it is in it's current form.

I have added a 'new' song - an acoutsic diddy - a cover of Sugarland's "Stay" - I think it came out pretty good. I recorded it live - guitar & vocal - then overdubbed midi strings for 'flavor'

Thanks again & I'll use your feedback

Steve

Yes I use headphones while recording & cheap ones at that - I have a small set-up to record on my PC - a very entry level DAW.

Thanks for the kind words regarding "Until The Endof Time" I am especially proud of that song

Sometimes hearing yourself too much in a mix can throw off the live feel. Takle one headphone off, stand while singing; maintain good physical posture and try to record "Wanted to believe" again...

It would be interesting to hear the difference. Keep it simple and try not to overemphasize words and phrases...

Byron

www.myspace.com/brtempleofsound
www.vamacoustics.com

I'll give that a shot - for all 12 vocal tracks I did on it - ha ha ha - seriously though, I am going to re-record it as while the song it a killer, I'm not satisfied with the vocals - I know I can really hit a homer run with it.

Thanks for the tips :)

Steve