MANOWAR - Hail and kill & Spirit horse of the Cherokee

• TMV World Legacy Member

So, here's my second post here. I think Eric Adams is a vastly underrated singer, and sings some damn hard stuff. So I'm trying to learn some Manowar songs...... These recordings are just the parts of the songs I'm working on currently, the rest may come later (should I master them...!) Just over the last month or so I've discovered my mid - upper chest voice, and am working on building it, having previously been of the 'early bridging' school, which just doesn't cut it when singing this sort of stuff. So it's all very much work in progress.

I look forward to your comments and thoughts! cheers. - Nick

Hail and KIll (opening) http://www.box.com/s/xvz5h3a8uy1xpzb73c9v

Spirit horse of the CHerokee (1st half of song) http://www.box.com/s/4nu40oyvkskk3c2fjbpy

P.S I used some voice removal software on both tracks to subdue Adams' original vocal track. The result isn't prefect, but without a re-recording of the parts minus voice, it's kinda what I'm stuck with....

Great stuff man. Some trivia for ya- The guys from Manowar are from Auburn, NY - roughly 25 minutes from my house. Their sound engineers son used to sing in my band, and we used to rent them custom 9X12 guitar cabinets lol. Great group of guys they are.

www.drop-head.com

Great stuff man. Some trivia for ya- The guys from Manowar are from Auburn, NY - roughly 25 minutes from my house. Their sound engineers son used to sing in my band, and we used to rent them custom 9X12 guitar cabinets lol. Great group of guys they are.

Cheers man! was kinda off the cuff :) Awesome! so they're local boys to you? pretty cool connection you have there. I live in South Australia, so unfortunately, the chances of them performing here are basically 0%, it's pretty slim that they'd even come to Australia at all, let alone SA. But.... perhaps I can get my ass over to Europe at some point......

You have a VERYY cool voice!!! At first, when I heard Hail and Kill, my thought was "this guy did not remove Adams vocal from the track"... but then I heard it was you!!! How did you do that? Is that your natural tember or are you adding some distortion ?

You have a VERYY cool voice!!! At first, when I heard Hail and Kill, my thought was "this guy did not remove Adams vocal from the track"... but then I heard it was you!!! How did you do that? Is that your natural tember or are you adding some distortion ?

Thanks Duchi, that is a very kind compliment. It's all a work in progress, but nice to get such positive feedback!

interesting question regarding timbre..... I struggled for a long time to get a gritty sound, and it seemed hopeless. So in a sense, I could say my natural timbre is quite clean. But... when I stumbled on the notion of the relaxed, open throat, and serious support, suddenly the grit just appeared as a natural phenomenon.

I'm working on "blood of my enemies" and will post it when I'm ready, alongside a recording I did of me singing it some 3 years ago (before I had the above epiphany). This A - B comparison will show what I sounded like before I really 'got it' and should hopefully serve as encouragement for anyone struggling as I was! Having said that, I still have a long way to go :)

The only thing I find lacking about center-panned vocal removers is that they also remove the frequencies of other instruments in the same range, making the track sound scratchy. But, it is what it be and that's alright with me.

Yeah for sure! Perhaps I'll see what tracks people have uploaded to YouTube etc (karaoke type versions with no voice track) or... will record my own! Thankfully I play guitar and bass... but not drums .... could use good samples though ... :cool:

Great singing man. Your screams in Spirit Horse are very cool and sound like young Adams (nowadays he puts a lot of rasp on all of his high notes which is also a kickass thing:))

I love both songs so I'll be looking forward to the full versions.

Great singing man. Your screams in Spirit Horse are very cool and sound like young Adams (nowadays he puts a lot of rasp on all of his high notes which is also a kickass thing:))

I love both songs so I'll be looking forward to the full versions.

Thanks man! Im not sure I'm worthy of comparison with the man himself .... but hell, I'll take it haha.

Actually, it was your version of king of kings that inspired me to try singing Adams' style ....I queried you in that thread when I was struggling to find the tone. So I ought to thank you for the inspiration!

Others I'd love to do : "call to arms ", "blood of my enemies ", "dark avenger ", "heart of steel "..... "revelation ".... hmmm quite a few!

The only thing I find lacking about center-panned vocal removers is that they also remove the frequencies of other instruments in the same range, making the track sound scratchy. But, it is what it be and that's alright with me.

Yeah :(......seems to depend on how they mix it too.... some albums/songs come out quite ok, others are a mess...vocals still very present, and everything turned to mush *sigh*

Your voice sounds really good in these recordings, I like the level of grit you've got going on while maintaining a solid sound. Looking forward to more.

Your voice sounds really good in these recordings, I like the level of grit you've got going on while maintaining a solid sound. Looking forward to more.

Thanks! Yeah, I plan to record a full cover with a proper backing track... should be fun!

Archived