critique this crap please

• TMV World Legacy Member

hi there.

i have been working alot on compression. So now i think im over compressing please take a lesson and confirm. things sound abit squeezy to my ears. but i have to squeeze it to get to some of the high notes. im thinking i need to learn to adjust the amount of squeeze and only squeeze when its needed. i think here its squeezy everywhere

http://www.box.net/shared/45mai7o5fq

I've added another recording. this was done same day as the other one. different tune though. I feel the higher parts are squeezy too. maybe with more time using the squeeze this goes away? but im starting to wonder if a bad habit is developing or something.

http://www.box.net/shared/kyl19sy98s

• 2 weeks later...

hi again forum. Any ideas to help me get a smoother tone? I'm looking for some feedback on areas to improve.. sorry for the title if I got off on the wrong "note"..

• TMV World Member

hi again forum. Any ideas to help me get a smoother tone? I'm looking for some feedback on areas to improve.. sorry for the title if I got off on the wrong "note"..

Doomhead: If you want to get a smoother tone, practice it. Listening to your two songs recently posted, it feels to me as I listen that you kinda 'toss' your voice at the notes, rather than connecting them into a single phrase of energy.

To address this habit, sing these songs on the syllable 'la' for each note, and let the 'el' consonants smoothly connect the 'ah' vowels. Keep the sound going all the time.

The voice responds to your mental concept of how you want to express yourself. Whenever you reconceptualize it, and try to do it differently, the voice will respond. The starting point for smoother tone is your concept of your vocal tone.

Best Regards, Steven Fraser

Thanks for the time Steven. I light of what you said.. I re-recorded the halleluah tune again :). Could I get your ear on the approach I took on this take? I have tried to sing this one smoother.. but as you say my concept of tone may be off. My concept of a smoother tone is when I sing lighter/softer. But doing so I find I lose the edginess and the higher notes feel wobbly. Maybe because of the habit with the 'squeeze' thing. What would be great to know is if this take is more along the right track or is it somewhere in the middle of the two approaches. In the meantime I will try the 'la' excersise when vocalizing.

http://www.box.net/shared/1905i8qh7a

Pete.

• TMV World Member

Thanks for the time Steven. I light of what you said.. I re-recorded the halleluah tune again :). Could I get your ear on the approach I took on this take? I have tried to sing this one smoother.. but as you say my concept of tone may be off. My concept of a smoother tone is when I sing lighter/softer. But doing so I find I lose the edginess and the higher notes feel wobbly. Maybe because of the habit with the 'squeeze' thing. What would be great to know is if this take is more along the right track or is it somewhere in the middle of the two approaches. In the meantime I will try the 'la' excersise when vocalizing.

Pete.

Hey, Pete. I'll listen to this a bit later. However, I'd like to offer the idea that vocal smoothness is not inconsistent with vocal strength. In other words, IMO you do not need to sing lighter or softer to accomplish smoother, unless you also want the tone to be light and/or soft in addition to smooth. :-)

Unless, of course, when you say 'smooth', you really mean soft and light.

I'll have some feedback on your re-recording tomorrow morning.

Best Regards, Steven Fraser

• Administrator

Doom, sorry for the wait, thanks for your patience. Im listening now.

I hear a great singer in here. You have a sense for the blue note and I think a sincere croon. You sing very naturally.

From a technical aspect I would recommend:

1. open your formant. Open your mouth to a wider configuration, like your taking a bite out of an apple.

2. Blow air. You would benefit greatly by blowing more respiration into the new, open formant you are using. (see #1).

3. Keep the sound resonation high in the resonators and phonate from top down. You already do this well, but it can be even better.

4. Dont stare at the floor. When you sing this song, sing down field and out to the distance. Dont sing and listen... hear the sound first, then release.

With serious vocal athletics your voice could be very amazing. I would like to work with you and show you how you could turn this foundation into a powerful metal tenor sound.

Hope this helps.

Robert